• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

evor1

Reaction score
right now im using whey and casein protein. on non workout days i just take 1 scoop whey in 8 oz milk in the middle of the day. on workout days i take about .75 scoop before in 6 oz milk and 1.75 scoop after in 14 oz milk. now im debating on how often i should take my casein shakes. in the past ive taken it every night 1 scoop in 12 oz milk. oh btw the milk is non fat. am i wasting casein protein if i take it everyday? should i do the casein shake at every night or only on workout days? trying to make the best use of the protein so i dont waste a bunch.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RubberSoul
Can anyone with experience powercleaning weigh in?

I posted in your other thread.

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RubberSoul
thank you very much noir. I have one more question.

What should I consume post-workout given that I am on a cut?
Right now I just chug a large glass of nonfat milk as soon as I get home. I know this isnt probably the best choice and i probably should get some carbs in. What do you recommed?

Can anyone with experience powercleaning weigh in?

thanks a lot

~55g whey protein, 30-40g sugars, remainder from complex carbohydrates (oats or rice). Some milk is fine here, but I don't do well on dairy when cutting. For me that means I don't eat much cheese, etc. Milk breaks me out so I hardly ever drink it unless it's maybe a cuppoccino with a friend.

Originally Posted by evor1
right now im using whey and casein protein. on non workout days i just take 1 scoop whey in 8 oz milk in the middle of the day. on workout days i take about .75 scoop before in 6 oz milk and 1.75 scoop after in 14 oz milk. now im debating on how often i should take my casein shakes. in the past ive taken it every night 1 scoop in 12 oz milk. oh btw the milk is non fat. am i wasting casein protein if i take it everyday? should i do the casein shake at every night or only on workout days? trying to make the best use of the protein so i dont waste a bunch.

whey post workout, casein at night. Don't drink milk @ night unless it's directly after a workout. look @ post history in "whey vs. milk" thread for reasons (idk if i've mentioned them in this thread).

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
refeed starts tomorrow at noon. someone suggest a good refeed for 12 hrs staring at noon.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You guys make it so difficult...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking this.

Of course, if you guys want to obsess to the point of insanity, who am I to say any differently?

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
refeed starts tomorrow at noon. someone suggest a good refeed for 12 hrs staring at noon.
pasta, rice, potatoes, oats, ezekiel bread. If you're worried about gaining anything extra, just do it clean and keep the fats low. People get fat eating junk food, not oatmeal. (not entirely true but you get my drift
smile.gif
)
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking this. Of course, if you guys want to obsess to the point of insanity, who am I to say any differently?
If you're just starting out and want to get in better shape or whatever, then of course a lot of this is too complex. Eating healthy and exercising will get most people to where they want to be. If, however, you want to be in the 1%, .05% or better - it requires a little bit more. I'm not getting ready for anything in particular so I've been going out to dinner a LOT the past few days and meeting new people. Next weekend is the superbowl so I'm having people over and we'll get some beer and order pizza (though I'm actually jonesing for some sangria - I'll have that and make everyone else drink the beer
teacha.gif
) My point is that unless you're already at a level where most of the minor nuances mentioned would matter, don't worry about it. At the same time, I can't see why having the information available is a bad thing. Is it really that different from someone in MC obsessing about 1/2" cuffs or in SW&D discussing the proper hem length for stacking? Let's put it this way: Most people are square toed kenneth coles With good genes only you're allen edmonds With a good workout & average diet you turn into c&j Good diet & nutrition you're edward green Go beyond the basics and put in the extra effort and you're a john lobb {blah blah rough example, yes you could work out to an AE or whatever. ******* you get my point} For some people it's worth the price to go from AE to C&J, fewer will pay for EG, and still fewer pay for Lobb. I have a lot of trouble justifying $1,000+ shoes, but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty of it. I can see how some people wouldn't understand why myself or others put so much effort into this whole fitness lifestyle - generally it's because we love it like shoe or denim aficionados. We obsess about carb choice and exercise order like some (including me again sadly) would with leather, lasts, shape, or stitching, or weft, indigo, rise, or hardware.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to weigh my food at one point in time. I majored in Human Kinetics (Exercise Science/Physiology), have a couple useless certificates and nutrition was (and kind of still is) a hobby of mine. I've done CKDs, etc., but I've been "out of the game" for the last 7 or so years and have no idea what the "latest developments" are. In the end, I realized that I have enough issues in my life without obsessing over if the slice of bread I ate for breakfast has 3 grabs of carbs instead of 4. I get your point and, as you correctly say, if it makes you happy to be at 6% BF instead of 6.25% that's great. I certainly have my own interests now that others don't share/understand. I just agree with why that a lot of this with supplements and meal timing and "correct" ratios is overkill for 99% (yes, I pulled that % out of ******) of people and, quite fankly, a lot of mumbo jumbo e.g. meal frequency (I agree with lefty about reading Lyle McDonald's stuff; have a lot of respect for that guy). To be fair, you did admit that. If someone is a professional whose livelihood depends on their appearance e.g. model, body-builder, etc. then I get the necessity of trying to eek out the best possible returns from their body/diet. Somehow though, I'm guessing that doesn't apply to the majority who are going to read this thread and run out to buy some BCAAs or whatever. I stopped going to the gym in June '07 and even before that I really relaxed with my eating and wasn't really working out all that regularly. Part of that was laziness after being so strict with myself e.g. no sugar whatsoever, and part of it was the demands of grad school. When I was in shape, I was 190-195 and maybe 9-10% BF @ 6'2". Not super lean but it was a weight I could very comfortably maintain with almost no effort. If I wanted to get more cut, I'd have to put in a lot more work into dieting, counting calories, doing cardio and so forth. Wasn't worth it to me but I get that it is an accomplisment/enjoyment for others. Since I stopped working out + slowing metabolism as I near 30 + eating like **** while in the hospital I put on about 25-30 pounds + dropped some muscle. I decided to join the New Year's Resolutions Crew and get back into the gym this year. Here's my plan - eat better + work out. I have no idea how many calories I'm taking in other than it's less than before cause I'm not snacking at all + doing things like eating oatmeal and water or milk for breakfast instead of a sugary cereal and I'm in the gym 3x/week. I don't know how much weight I've lost in the last couple weeks but my clothes are looser and there's a small visible difference in the mirror. I'm in this for the long haul and I'm doing it with the minimum pain because I'm not starving, I'm not counting calories and I'm not spending a lot of money on supplements (I did buy some ON protein powder though for post-workout and those times when I think I need a bit of extra protein). Maybe when I start getting back to around my goal weight and there are diminishing returns/ceiling effect I'll need to tighten up and "obsess" a little more but, like I said, I have enough problems in my life without adding that in. To end, I'd like to reiterate that I do get your point. I just hope you get mine as well. Cheers!

Noir.

Reaction score
nah mate, I was never disagreeing with you.
smile.gif
I don't think putting the information out there is going to harm anyone though. I myself am not ridiculously strict right now - maybe 80-85% clean. If you eat well most of the time, you don't have to eat perfectly to get real results.

It's just like you said - there's a HUGE difference between being 15% and 12% and 9% and 6%. getting from 15 to 12 is easier than 12 to 9, and 15 to 9 is way easier than 9 to 6. It's evaluating your life and seeing what's important to you. I completely get where you're coming from. I threw everything out the window for over a month late last year due to personal problems. I picked it back up and realized how much I missed it and how much I really love it. To point, I enjoy focusing on things like this, and that's why I do it. It really helps me clear my head and get away from, well, life. I like the reprieve.

Just trying to point out that there are different degrees depending on your goals. Once you're as detailed as you can possibly be it's pretty easy to back out of it and look at the whole picture. I also agree that people tend to overconcern themselves with supplements. I use them, I love them, and I'm a huge advocate of them, but the only one I would consider "necessary" is a protein powder - which is essentially a food substitute when you're in a time crunch. But if you're going to use them, I have my little list of priorities for them (protein > vitamin > glutamine > bcaa's/creatine > everything else [preworkout drinks, vasodialaters, test boosters, random cooky crap you don't know what does {paging MuscleTech}])

We're on the same page though, no worries.
bigstar[1].gif
A hell of a lot has changed in 7 years, too, though mostly in the supplement and pharma market...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stuff changes because new diets generate money. Old diets don't.

A lot of this stuff comes down to calories and activity. Hormones play a role at really low bodyfat levels.

The rest of the stuff doesn't matter a whole lot. All the time and energy spent on worrying about CKDs and such would be better applied to willpower.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
n

Just trying to point out that there are different degrees depending on your goals. Once you're as detailed as you can possibly be it's pretty easy to back out of it and look at the whole picture. I also agree that people tend to overconcern themselves with supplements. I use them, I love them, and I'm a huge advocate of them, but the only one I would consider "necessary" is a protein powder - which is essentially a food substitute when you're in a time crunch. But if you're going to use them, I have my little list of priorities for them (protein > vitamin > glutamine > bcaa's/creatine > everything else [preworkout drinks, vasodialaters, test boosters, random cooky crap you don't know what does {paging MuscleTech}])

*cough*fishoil*cough*

I would put it right after protein.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

6 Krispy Kreme Donuts
4 TBSP Peanut Butter
4 Chocolate Chip Pop Tarts
4 Wild Berry Pop Tarts
1 Clif Builders Bar
6 Sausages
1 serving NO-XPLODE
1 serving ISS Satur8
1 scoop Wazy Maize
1 Publix Chocolate Milk
16 Mint Oreo
1 Pint of Ben and Jerry's Cake Batter
1 Pint of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey
1 Entre of Orange Beef Chinese Food
2 Oreo Creme Pie
2 Turkey Pita with extra mayo
1/2 bag Sour Cream and Onion Lays

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
*cough*fishoil*cough* I would put it right after protein.
whoops, yeah it's a slash with vitamins. I don't get it from a supp store though - i get it from the grocery store :p for some reason i separate it bc of that and consider it food. *shrug*
6 Krispy Kreme Donuts 4 TBSP Peanut Butter 4 Chocolate Chip Pop Tarts 4 Wild Berry Pop Tarts 1 Clif Builders Bar 6 Sausages 1 serving NO-XPLODE 1 serving ISS Satur8 1 scoop Wazy Maize 1 Publix Chocolate Milk 16 Mint Oreo 1 Pint of Ben and Jerry's Cake Batter 1 Pint of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey 1 Entre of Orange Beef Chinese Food 2 Oreo Creme Pie 2 Turkey Pita with extra mayo 1/2 bag Sour Cream and Onion Lays
^ too much fat there imo. dailiy intake on the refeed should be probably 2-2.5/3x calories on standard days during cut, protein the same or maybe a bit lower, fat much lower, and carbs significantly higher.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*cough*fishoil*cough*

I would put it right after protein.

There's also ephedrine/caffeine.

In about 5 months, I'll be able to "prescribe myself" methylphenidate. Yay for no appetite. *grin*

Of course, I wouldn't do that and I was technically lying because I won't have a DEA # for controlled substances for a while anyway.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try and save caffeine for days when I have a monster workout and am dragging ass when I leave for the gym. I wouldn't really consider it a staple supplement like I would protein/fish oil/vitamin/BCAA's.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try and save caffeine for days when I have a monster workout and am dragging ass when I leave for the gym. I wouldn't really consider it a staple supplement like I would protein/fish oil/vitamin/BCAA's.

Neither would I. But most of this thread is dedicated to cutting and as a weight-loss option, there isn't much better out there that I'm aware of that isn't illegal/prescription.

So I wouldn't consider it a regular supplement to be taken all the time but certainly useful for anyone trying to cut and a "staple" in that particular situation. I'm sure it's also better than taking stuff like NOXplode that was mentioned earlier as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads