• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I did a one hour hot soak when I got them...suckers are long! Which is also why they suffer the indignity of cuffing when where them with this blazer. It's exactly that LVC vibe that I use to justify doing the Opie on them.

I have to decide soon which way I'm going with them, though. Do you hate the cuffs like everyone else?

- B

Were you double cuffing them? IMO single and shorter cuffs would be an improvement. Of course both require you to hem the jeans to 1-2.5" longer than usual inseam; the upside is that you can then occasionally switch to uncuffed and have mad stacking actionz.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I used to wear them really low and tight back in college. I looked like a jackass. I'd look like a jackass and a dufus if I tried that now; imagine trying to tuck an OCBD (or any shirt, for that matter) into jeans hanging off your hips.
wonder how long these stayed tucked in
12026427_damson_purple.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Were you double cuffing them? IMO single and shorter cuffs would be an improvement. Of course both require you to hem the jeans to 1-2.5" longer than usual inseam; the upside is that you can then occasionally switch to uncuffed and have mad stacking actionz.

I double-cuffed them today, which I only do with that BB blazer to show ankle. Normally I single cuff these.

Jeans with a 34 inseam fall just right for me...these collabs that Sugarcane did for Self Edge, though, only came one way: 39. Even after a hot soak, there's a lot still there.

I've never had to hem jeans, and without anyone around here with a chainstitch machine, I hesitate to hem these up. And someone my age wearing denim with mad stacking action might be sillier than I am already.

I'm still thinking about it. I don't look my age so it might work...maybe an experiment is in order.

- B

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chainstitch machine? How do I find someone with a chainstitch machine? I need to have a pair of jeans hemmed.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm glad to see this as it's something of a pre-endorsement of a planned ensemble of mine. I just dropped off a tweed db with patch pockets and half belt RLPL sportcoat (db Norfolk?) off with the alterations guy. It seemed just the thing to go with jeans.

I also think the cuffs would look better taller. I also dropped off a pair of RRLs to be hemmed. No chainstitch machine, but I'll have to suffer through.

Casual Controversy Friday

http://vox.smugmug.com/photos/460187915_pbs4D-X2.jpg
http://vox.smugmug.com/photos/460187922_RsEYP-X2.jpg

BB Black Fleece navy camelhair DB blazer
BB Black Fleece OCBD
Kent Wang cotton pocket square
Sugarcane for Self Edge denim, model SEXSC06
Flat Head belt in tan
Dore Dore socks
Alden #8 shell cordo longwings, Barrie last UFW*
Cartier band in yellow 18k
Seiko Spirit, white face, on grosgrain band

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I also think the cuffs would look better taller.

Interesting. So you posit that moving to the 50s, and doing a full Beaver, could work better than going to the 60s, and doing a partial Opie...hmmm...intriguging.

Here's shot of a family walking past the Monsanto House of Tomorrow at Tomorrowland in 1960:

29paxds.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
Chainstitch machine? How do I find someone with a chainstitch machine? I need to have a pair of jeans hemmed.

AFAIK, Blue in Green in NYC and Self Edge in SF have their own.

I haven't found one in Boston.

- B

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had to hem jeans, and without anyone around here with a chainstitch machine, I hesitate to hem these up. And someone my age wearing denim with mad stacking action might be sillier than I am already.

I'm still thinking about it. I don't look my age so it might work...maybe an experiment is in order.

- B

http://www.selfedge.com/chainstitching.php

for $15 you can have them chain-stitched to your liking. I'm sure you knew that, but others may have been wondering where to have it done.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just got my RRLs off Ebay NWT but there is no tag with country of origin or washing instructions. There was a paper label that stated I should wear them 30 days before either dry cleaning or washing, but it doesn't state what temperature you should use to wash them or whether you should dry them. Dry clean jeans? Do they shrink when you wash them? I got the jeans based on the recs in this thread and they put my 501s to shame. Any recs on care? Thanks?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Vox: I would leave them as is. I usually wear mine cuffed once, but I like stacking. I think the chunky heavy cuff looks fine.

You should wear raw jeans (if possible) fot at least 4 months before washing.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Okay, I just got my RRLs off Ebay NWT but there is no tag with country of origin or washing instructions. There was a paper label that stated I should wear them 30 days before either dry cleaning or washing, but it doesn't state what temperature you should use to wash them or whether you should dry them. Dry clean jeans? Do they shrink when you wash them? I got the jeans based on the recs in this thread and they put my 501s to shame. Any recs on care? Thanks?

Usually, there should be a small whiteish tag at the center of the waistband stating the country of origin (RRL, AFAIK is made in usa).and size.

I believe all RRL are sanforized. So they won't shrink much, if not any, at all. I tried "hot soak" for a pair of 7FAM & a pair of AG in the past. I took measurements before and after, and they were exactly identical. (I was hoping to get some shrinkage at the waist area).

I believe people dry clean their jeans to preserve the indigo.

JO3B

Reaction score
please don't dry clean sturdy denim. its just cotton. its meant to take a beating, and it benefits from it. the most i'd do is turn the denim inside out in the wash. if you're worried about shrinking, skip the dryer. if you're really worried about shrinking, wear them a little moist so that they have no where to go. also remember that within reason, denim that shrinks in width (ie, waist or thighs, etc NOT length) will stretch back to wherever it was previous to the wash (not true for raw denim shrunk to fit) these are not precious suit pants. live a little in 'em. results may vary:
123ku4p.jpg

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, Blue in Green in NYC and Self Edge in SF have their own.

I haven't found one in Boston.

- B

Originally Posted by bmulford
http://www.selfedge.com/chainstitching.php

for $15 you can have them chain-stitched to your liking. I'm sure you knew that, but others may have been wondering where to have it done.

Thanks. How bad would it look to have them hemmed without chainstitching?

JO3B

Reaction score
chainstitching creates a roping affect that would only be subtley apparent with a regular stitch. its more about authenticity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads