• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan

Reaction score
I bought the whiskey longwings posted above from another member of the forum. They pop up from time to time but my search took over a year. The whiskey plaintoes are from Alden SF, which also had whiskey chukkas.

I inquired about them at Alden of Carmel, but Adam wrote that their next run would be very small and would be sold exclusively to prior customers of the shop, so I was out of luck.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-order notice for Vintage Indys went out today. Rather than bore you with a litany of shoes and sizes, I measure out as a 13E according to the measuring machine at a Red Wing Store (Super Brannock, scale, whatever that thing is).

Can anyone relate their experience in Indy sizing relative to that particular measuring device?

I'm pretty sure a 12.5E is the best choice for me, but I need to do a little more research before putting down my money.

wmb

Reaction score
here is my experience though not with Red Wing. I usually consider my foot a 11.5.

I have plain toe barrie in 11 cordovan and indy in 11.5. Indy is slightly larger but I wear the boot with heavier socks. Also depends on the width of your foot -- indy feels a bit more narrow... With cordovan it may feel different on the indy too, good luck.

gotta love those cord indies

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Hello SF!

Long time "lurker" but first time posting.

Recently I purchased a pair of Alden Indy's in cordovan #8. To say I'm pleased with them would be an incredible understatement! I've now got the fever and think I will look for the perfect pair of black Alden lace-ups.

My question to all the Alden fans is...between the AF-43 (on the same last as the Indy's) and the Af-60's (plaza last) which boot would you choose if you mainly wanted to wear them in casual situations? (jeans, chinos, etc).

I love them both but rarely need to wear a suit so wondered what everyone would choose between the two if they wanted this to be their go-to black boot for mostly streetwear applications. Thanks.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between a pair of #8 Chukka with all weather walking sole or Shell Black Chukka with the commando sole (getting these discounted for around 370 so these are my only options). Which one would you guys recommend? Also, I was going to size down 1/2 size -- that sound right?

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
I am trying to decide between a pair of #8 Chukka with all weather walking sole or Shell Black Chukka with the commando sole (getting these discounted for around 370 so these are my only options). Which one would you guys recommend? Also, I was going to size down 1/2 size -- that sound right?
Discounts? I'd love to get the AF53 or Leather Soles plain toe boot in #8 but don't want to spend the extra $200 so trying to decide between AF88 or AF84 in brown calf...

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Any chance I could get some friendly Alden fans on here to post pics of either the AF-43 or AF-60 with jeans? I really like the tru-balance last but have read lots of good things on here about the plaza. Can't decide!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hokiefan
Any chance I could get some friendly Alden fans on here to post pics of either the AF-43 or AF-60 with jeans? I really like the tru-balance last but have read lots of good things on here about the plaza. Can't decide!
Get the pair that fits best? Both will be nice. Personally, I'd pick the plain toe AF43's before the AF60's.

With that discount I'd just buy both.
smile.gif

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the input. I'd originally planned on the AF-43's thinking the plain toe would be much more versatile but saw a lot of people saying good things about the plaza last. I'm not in an area where its easy to try these on (sticks haha) Thanks again.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone?

if this is your first shell shoe, i would go with black chukkas, then #8.

going down a half size depends on the last. if its the barrie last then yes size down .5.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
IMG_2759.jpg

When I first got them after bugging Tom to make them over and over and over.

They look loved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads