• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accountants: Do you like your job?

Clown Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
What is a general ledger type accountant? Do you mean bookkeeper? Masters of Accounting seems kind of useless to me.
It depends on the state's requirement to sit for the exam. In NY it was useless. I sat with my undergrad and as stated before the 150 rule (registered to sit, not pass the exam) wont be in effect until Aug 2009 unless that changed since I moved on.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I don't particularly like my job, but I don't exactly hate it either. The subject matter is generally fine and I get to learn new things every day. However, some of the work is very tedious and extremely boring. My dislike for the job generally stems from the people I work with, who are all much older than me, which means that we generally don't have much to talk about. There are a few younger people around which is nice, but I'm hardly on jobs with them.

If you do decide to go into accounting, I wouldn't expect it to be too exciting. I always enjoyed finance more, but I went into accounting instead for the job security. It definitely worked as I did not have any difficulty finding a job and as some of my finance friends are getting axed, I'm getting a raise. If you are Canada, now is a good time to be an accountant as the impending transition to IFRS will require a lot of man power.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clown Shoes
When you get into MBAs or an MS dont do accounting if you want to go private.

If your undergrand is not in accounting, then going to grad school for accounting is your only option if you want to be at an accounting firm and sit for CPA, and it's a very good option, so is tax.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
If you are Canada, now is a good time to be an accountant as the impending transition to IFRS will require a lot of man power.

+1 lots of work to be done and fees be earned.

Starting next month I will no longer be an accountant (technically no longer an auditor). It is a bitter sweet moment. Sweet in getting into a career I like, bitter in it not coming sooner!
laugh.gif

warmpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
+1 lots of work to be done and fees be earned. Starting next month I will no longer be an accountant (technically no longer an auditor). It is a bitter sweet moment. Sweet in getting into a career I like, bitter in it not coming sooner!
laugh.gif

You're working solely on IFRS conversion? That's still part of the auditing group..
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I don't particularly like my job, but I don't exactly hate it either. The subject matter is generally fine and I get to learn new things every day. However, some of the work is very tedious and extremely boring. My dislike for the job generally stems from the people I work with, who are all much older than me, which means that we generally don't have much to talk about. There are a few younger people around which is nice, but I'm hardly on jobs with them. If you do decide to go into accounting, I wouldn't expect it to be too exciting. I always enjoyed finance more, but I went into accounting instead for the job security. It definitely worked as I did not have any difficulty finding a job and as some of my finance friends are getting axed, I'm getting a raise. If you are Canada, now is a good time to be an accountant as the impending transition to IFRS will require a lot of man power.
another Vancouver articling student right here.. I'll second what Raoul said. Accounting is a good middle of the road job. Not too tough, not too hard to get in (relatively speaking), but of course the compensation isn't really anything to brag about either. Lots of kids going for accounting now, though. You're going to be just another face in the crowd -- one of the typical directionless kids looking for shelter from the harsh real world in the form of a safe, semi-prestigious career. Finance is a lot more interesting. But it's tough to break into those top jobs. And it's true what one of hte other posters said: an undergrad degree in Finance is useless. If you have the skills, go into math, stats or compsci instead. More and more, the big finance shops are gravitating towards quant guys.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warmpi
You're working solely on IFRS conversion? That's still part of the auditing group..

Nope, sorry for the confusion, those should be read as seperate statements. No IFRS, no auditing, no accounting...no stress
smile.gif

micbain

Reaction score
but of course the compensation isn't really anything to brag about either.

True, but it ain't that bad either all things considering. Average salary for a CA in BC is like $170k or something....not bad considering none of us are HBS grads....and especially good for local programs like DAP and BCIT.

Clown Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
If your undergrand is not in accounting, then going to grad school for accounting is your only option if you want to be at an accounting firm and sit for CPA, and it's a very good option, so is tax.
Well, I thought that was understood based from my posts. Ive been addressing going from public to private in NY which would require one to have a Bachelors in Accounting. Going straight to private isn't a good idea in my opinion. More money initially but less in the long run save for a few cases. 2.5 years + of Audit engagement experience is invaluable

warmpi

Reaction score
Nope, sorry for the confusion, those should be read as seperate statements. No IFRS, no auditing, no accounting...no stress
smile.gif

Mind if I ask what you do? I'm assuming tax?
I'm looking for an exit out of audit too.

True, but it ain't that bad either all things considering. Average salary for a CA in BC is like $170k or something....not bad considering none of us are HBS grads....and especially good for local programs like DAP and BCIT.

Ya for sure it's nothing to laugh at. But I don't believe that average salary. At the very least, that ain't the median salary. Most CAs will never see that kind of coin.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
My dad is one, hated it and now is in the world of finance. That's my major, it doesn't seem all that appealing to me but it is an extremely versatile major.

Pretty much same here. I don't care for all the classes, but I think once I'm out and actually applying what I've learned, I'll enjoy it. Again, there's a lot of things you can do with an accounting degree - especially if you get a professional designation.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya for sure it's nothing to laugh at. But I don't believe that average salary. At the very least, that ain't the median salary. Most CAs will never see that kind of coin.
There are salary reports issued by the CICA up to 2007. It shows a heavy skew in the median/mean salary of the CAs is mostly due to owner's earnings (partners) and work experience (most CAs in BC - 79% - earned their CAs before 2002 - the majority of CA's in BC are mid-30's or beyond). when you only look at non-owner salaries, the picture is much less rosy.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
No I despise my job. Working as an accountant at this National firm is really hard work. You would expect 80+ hours a week just to be on your bosses radar for promotion. Promotions come very slow and there really is no way to move up besides going into business for yourself. If you're a public accountant things are a bit easier because you get to set your own hours and charge a hefty fee for doing audits and preparing tax plans. With all this said, I don't know what its like to be an account. I'm not really an accountant, I"ve never taken any accounting courses and I think acccountants are all gay.

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
No I despise my job. Working as an accountant at this National firm is really hard work. You would expect 80+ hours a week just to be on your bosses radar for promotion. Promotions come very slow and there really is no way to move up besides going into business for yourself. If you're a public accountant things are a bit easier because you get to set your own hours and charge a hefty fee for doing audits and preparing tax plans. With all this said, I don't know what its like to be an account. I'm not really an accountant, I"ve never taken any accounting courses and I think acccountants are all gay.

confused.gif

Your last few sentences contradict your first few...

JAY13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241

What was the point of this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads