• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nobody said "all jeans" - but the jeans discussed here (as are the overwhelming majority of modern denim) are designed to be worn at the hips (like everyone keeps telling you) - so the advice to pull them down is right on point.
OK, if it is a matter of jean design, the answer is easy enough. could you point me to denim designed to be worn higher than the hips (a decidedly uncomfortable option)?

Originally Posted by Tarmac
I basically have 3 pair in rotation
I have 3 also, one old pair that stays at my parents' place on the rare occasions I go there, and 2 pairs at home, one of which I am thinking of selling or donating.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
OK, if it is a matter of jean design, the answer is easy enough. could you point me to denim designed to be worn higher than the hips (a decidedly uncomfortable option)?
There's nothing uncomfortable about wearing jeans where they are cut to fit - you just need to make sure you get the right size, i.e. not an oversized pair that is wide enough to accomodate the hips (which is the #1 mistake I seem to see here - people buy jeans meant to be worn at hips but then size up significantly because they wear them too high and neither waist or rise could accomodate that).

I'm not an expert in denim but I believe that some repros are cut with higher rise and meant to be worn higher than the hips, that's if you like the retro miner look...

Otherwise, here's another option: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=548

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Still Casual Winter Thursday

In for the office for a bit, then out in the cold and snow:

459630394_pcx6S-X2.jpg

Michael Bastian zip front cableknit turtleneck
Arnys silk scarf
BB Black Fleece OCBD
Nom de Guerre Classic Fit dark gray denim
Ironheart cowhide belt in brown
Pantherella socks
Redwing Gentleman Traveler boots in black cherry
Tiffany Etoile band in platinum
Archimede Pilot Original Limited Edition (such a stupid name) with Junghans manual movement, flat crystal replaced with domed crystal

- B

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
imo the NDG ones look better on you than the KMW. with your large thighs I don't know if a taper is really the best. also tc the jeans look ok. the crotch is a little tight, but hopefully that'll stretch. quality wise those levis are going to be found sorely lacking
frown.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
imo the NDG ones look better on you than the KMW. with your large thighs I don't know if a taper is really the best.

Are you suggesting chick jeans for my muscley thighs?

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

The jeans look great. I'm wearing the same pair today. The sweater doesn't, IMO.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

Have you tried Dior 17.5cms? I think you want to get as tight as possible.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The jeans look great. I'm wearing the same pair today.

Twinseys again.

Originally Posted by iammatt
The sweater doesn't, IMO.

Bastian-H8R. This is from his first winter collection...he started bland, and became blander.

It's nicely made, though.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have you tried Dior 17.5cms? I think you want to get as tight as possible.

At 17.5cms, I would definitely need a third leg in the middle.

As it is, denim that fits my waist and ass is already overacquainted with Mr. Johnson and his two sidekicks.

- B

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

also tc the jeans look ok. the crotch is a little tight, but hopefully that'll stretch. quality wise those levis are going to be found sorely lacking
frown.gif

Thanks for the insight Teger. Yes, I hope the crotch will stretch, and I'm always interested in doing better quality wise. I was hoping these would be a good "starter" jean for me. After I get comfortable with these I'm sure I will be asking for some recommendations on what's next. Thanks again for the comments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads