• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pilot Watches in a Formal Workplace

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Too casual and big to be worn with a suit.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check the WAWRN thread for Phat Guido pics...he does it all the time and looks great.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fine. Some of the most senior people wear Ironman watches these days - I doubt anyone would take issue with a nice pilot watch

Milgauss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blah23
Is a pilot watch like a Stowa Airman acceptable in a formal workplace, or is it out of place?

Unless it was a very specific or strict workplace there is no reason why a pilots watch cannot be worn. Whether it looks good on the wearer's wrist is another question; a 55mm pilot on a 7 inch wrist is not going to look great.

Not all pilot's watches are huge - the IWC Mark X and XI were relatively small watches.

habitue

Reaction score
If

- you need to look at the watch from time to time
- you are doing lots of spins and turns and therefore need a really big watch
- you wear a leather coat during flight and want to wear your watch over it
- you need to do some quick calculations during flight and won't or can't trust your FMC - good planes don't need one anyway
- you are pilot - what a ridiculous point (there can however be debated if MS Flight Simulator counts)

there is absolutely nothing to say against wearing a pilot watch if you are forced to do any other work. maintenance, flight planning etc. I assume.

jonnyt

Reaction score
I'd say it depends on what you're wearing to work. With a suit and tie, something like an IWC 7 day Pilot's watch would be a little ostentatious imho, also, how will you fit it under your cuff?
You could probably get away with it on a casual Friday with a polo shirt though.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks silly, but people do it all the time. You will not be frowned upon by your superiors, if that's the question.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milgauss
Unless it was a very specific or strict workplace there is no reason why a pilots watch cannot be worn. Whether it looks good on the wearer's wrist is another question; a 55mm pilot on a 7 inch wrist is not going to look great.

Not all pilot's watches are huge - the IWC Mark X and XI were relatively small watches.

I think you also get more versatility if you avoid the classic leather strap with the double rivets. Go with a a solid leather strap and avoid those with contrasting stitching.

Tom Brokaw seemed to be sporting a Big Pilot with the classic strap when he hosted Meet the Press. I didn't think it worked.

sfo423

Reaction score
Speedmaster Pro on strap or IWC 3717.....

No problems.

braised

Reaction score
The pilot's watch like the IWX Mark XV or Fliegerchrono are classic sports watches, they are very acceptable in the work place in the same vein as a Rolex. The double chrono, panaeris and big-pilots are dramatic, you need to decide if you can get away with it.

Braised

habitue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonnyt
how will you fit it under your cuff?

Pilot watches are worn over the cuff, over the leather jacket, therefore the long strap.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen folks, including partners in big law firms, in bespoke shoes, bespoke suits, and huge digital Casio G-shocks or other such watches. Seriously, I think a lot of folks stres over how they will be perceived unnecessarily.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I've seen folks, including partners in big law firms, in bespoke shoes, bespoke suits, and huge digital Casio G-shocks or other such watches.
Agree. As I pointed above as well, it's been the trend with top level management for a couple years now. I think it's meant to say "I'm a down to earth guy" or something

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Agree. As I pointed above as well, it's been the trend with top level management for a couple years now. I think it's meant to say "I'm a down to earth guy" or something

Exactly. Or showing off that they are fit sportsmen. Two of the people I'm thinking of in particular are keen cyclists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics