• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, no. Shoe monogamy would be keeping only one pair of shoes. I'm proposing a harem of many pairs that happen to be identical.

So this is like having a threesome with twins?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naturlaut II
I am not underestimating you at all. In fact, I believe that all of us had entertain that thought at least once when we first received something that we really love, especially when we were at your age and started doing this. As in connoisseurs of every art form, one's taste changes as one grows deeper into it. As of this moment, I don't think we (or at least I) have yet studied and versed in this artform well enough to have arrived into a conclusion and definition: this is not the point in your life to declare and conclude anything. Just my humble thoughts.

FWIW, there was a point in life when I have "decided" to settle with one shirt, one shoe, one tailor, one whiskey, one cook ware, one composer, even one video format for my movies.
laugh.gif

ZEIaJAwjra_2002894349033766821_rs.jpg

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hey, its your choice to live here rather than among the constant ribbing of your brothers. So you have already voted with your (webbed) feet.
There is a lot of reasons I love America. Classic American style shoes rank pretty close to the bottom on that list - somewhere between Jell-O and meatloaf, and slightly above George W

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have to say, I sort of get the mafoo's impulse here, in that I have been reaching for the same things more and more over the past year or so. One of the reasons I don't post as much in WAWRN is that I tend always to look the same, or pretty close.

But 12 identical shirts and 5 pairs of shoes is a bridge too far, even for me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Mark the trees, dumbass. Monday. Tuesday. Wednesday...then comes....Thursday. Friday. Saturday. Sunday.

I thought about that. There will be times I need to travel with the shoes, so the trees will get jumbled up. For the same reason, and because of weekends, there may be some days where I don't wear any of them at all, so the day labels won't work. I'm thinking numbers and tags that fold over the tongues.

Originally Posted by gdl203
/thread?

Next time, mafoo please use the PM system

I get a thrill from Matt's public approval.

Originally Posted by Naturlaut II
I am not underestimating you at all. In fact, I believe that all of us had entertain that thought at least once when we first received something that we really love, especially when we were at your age and started doing this. As in connoisseurs of every art form, one's taste changes as one grows deeper into it. As of this moment, I don't think we (or at least I) have yet studied and versed in this artform well enough to have arrived into a conclusion and definition: this is not the point in your life to declare and conclude anything. Just my humble thoughts.

You know, I guess part of it is that I don't think it matters all that much which shoe I used for this idea. I could have done a captoe with broguing, for example. I just like the idea of having my own lazy, reliable, boring way of doing things. I think that's potentially stylish in it's own way.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had any garment now that I thought I'd be wearing until the day of my death, I don't think I could help but feel a mortal resentment toward it. I might even destroy it as a life-affirming act.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have to say, I sort of get the mafoo's impulse here, in that I have been reaching for the same things more and more over the past year or so. One of the reasons I don't post as much in WAWRN is that I tend always to look the same, or pretty close.

But 12 identical shirts and 5 pairs of shoes is a bridge too far, even for me.

You were my ally in the battle against the side-gusset oxloafer-shoe, why can't you join me here?

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of Longwings on the plaza or ban!

I actually wore my Alden Cord longwings on the grant last twice this week, and was thinking of making the longwing my regular. I find it so funny this thread came about, as I too am in love with my Alden longwings. Just something so timeless and Ameri-can about them. I would love a pair on the plaza so grant could have a friend.
blush.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Relax, Obi Wan. I'd still like something to wear around the apartment
smile.gif

I feel a little better.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Horrifying, isn't it? In fact, I just walked back from the wall to wall shoe closet to calm the fears of the many pairs of innocent shoes, some of whom had heard rumors of this one-shoe concept.

Dead. Like all utopias.

- B

Indeed, what next? Bruce Springsteen performing at teh Super Bowl?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You were my ally in the battle against the side-gusset oxloafer-shoe, why can't you join me here?

I sort of enjoy the marginal differences. My wife looks at a stich cap v. a punch cap and asks "Do you really need both of those?" And I invariably answer, "Oh, yes. You cannot be made to understand."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads