• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to a northern city

Bibbs

Reaction score
Background: I'm young and in college, 22, have a job at an ad agency in a big city which I start next fall. I am from the south, but summer in Maine, so I am used to all kinds of people . Normally dress very fratty/preppy, feel very comfortable in khakis and button downs. But I am moving to Chicago a) I will need warmer clothes in general and b) I have always felt out of place, my style is not exactly "urban" - lots of high-performance outdoors clothes etc.

So any general wisdom you can give on how to fit in the urban world, and also I have a couple questions -

Will I be out of place wearing something like this "http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Gamma-AR-Jacket#" (black) out to bars at night? Or what should I get. I do not want a peacoat. And no I am not wearing a suit out to bars, my work environment is casual as well. Please give me your honest advice, I am not some dandy, just a normal guy.

Also, I am more a khaki guy , only jeans I've ever worn are like stonewashed Levis, not really "dress jeans" but I am worried that moving North I'm going to be forced to get a pair of dark jeans. Any advice on this front?

Reaction score
Don't freak about "fitting in." If your style is one way, don't change it just to try and please some clubhead slutz in the Chi. The southern fratastic man isn't ideal in Chicago, but as long as you look presentable and well kept nobody is going to think, "Man that southern guy can't dress for ****!" Wear your polos and your khakis, but perhaps buy some stuff that is a little slimmer in fit. The Polo custom fit stuff should do you good.

BTW, I'm from the suburbs but go to school at the University of Tennessee. Where'd you graduate?

Reaction score
PS, Chicago is different from New York. Midwestern cities aren't quite as uppity as NYC. Good luck with everything.

bure

Reaction score
I'm not from the specific area, and neither are most people, but if it's just like any other large city, I would say get a nice wool coat. They are warm and might suit your style better than a tech jacket. Plus, that one you posted is ugly (by my standards).

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Wearing activewear like that with khakis is fine for midwest. Honestly, most people don't care at all about style here. If you're going out to bars in the midwest, you'd fit right in but there's no reason not to get a nice parka or a peacoat. Whether you like it or not, peacoats are sexy. If you're looking to blend in then wear what you have but look around on here and find something that suits you well and you might surprise yourself nicely. Also talk to WMMK for what's popular in chicago as he live there and is a bit younger than you.

Bibbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappysloopy
Wearing activewear like that with khakis is fine for midwest. Honestly, most people don't care at all about style here. If you're going out to bars in the midwest, you'd fit right in but there's no reason not to get a nice parka or a peacoat. Whether you like it or not, peacoats are sexy. If you're looking to blend in then wear what you have but look around on here and find something that suits you well and you might surprise yourself nicely. Also talk to WMMK for what's popular in chicago as he live there and is a bit younger than you.
I guess I've always just though of peacoats as being effeminate...is there anything you can tell me to bust this preconceived notion of mine?

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bibbs
Lincoln Park

I think with your current style you'll fit right in with the neighborhood you'll be living in. The bar scene around these parts don't have dress codes or anything so where what you like.

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Lincoln Park is not a hard neighborhood to live in. You should have no trouble fitting in. Go with either the coat you suggested or a pea coat and you'll be fine. Also, while you're in the neighborhood, (I know this is a long shot, but) if you're at all into punk/metal, you should check out Metal Haven.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
I guess I've always just though of peacoats as being effeminate...is there anything you can tell me to bust this preconceived notion of mine?

Well, seeing as peacoats have been pretty standard in military wardrobes (i'm sure it's not as common now), there's nothing really effeminate about it. Plus I always picture Captain Ahab in a peacoat (or something similiar) when he's searching for Moby Dick, and besides the obvious innuendo that might go with that, there's nothing gay about a boat captain killing a whale.

slappysloopy

Reaction score
James_Dean_01.jpg
It's not quite a peacoat (I think it's the overcoat he was wearing in another picture), but James Dean is definitely the epitome of manliness. Wearing it with the collar up may make you feel more like a badass manly man if that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads