• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

CanadaSteep

Reaction score
I 2nd T.M. Lewin.
Ben Sherman does a good slim fit, but usually the patterns are terrible.
Maybe go vintage with them?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CanadaSteep
I 2nd T.M. Lewin.
Ben Sherman does a good slim fit, but usually the patterns are terrible.
Maybe go vintage with them?

I used to buy expensive, fashion labels (Boss, etc.) but they didn't fit well (without tailoring), had low-quality fabric and after 4-5 washes, looked like cheap shirts. So I decided to buy inexpensive, but decent quality, shirts and have them tailored.

A well-fitting shirt is far better than a high-end one that doesn't fit well. I get more compliments on my well-fitting TM Lewins than I ever did with any high-end labels. People think they are complimenting the shirts, but they are actually complimenting the fit that brings out the best in the shirts.

Trust me, go this route. You'll be glad you did!

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Are Black Fleece shirts any slimmer than RL Rugby ones? I know the BB BF stuff is probably made better, but I just want cheap, slim shirts.
I can't answer this really, but I remember when I was at the Brooks Brothers factory someone there saying the black fleece shirts are pretty slim - the arm holes in particularly are smaller - higher arm-pits. Apparently after getting a lot of comments from customers they made this less extreme. Black Fleece is not cheap though!

jpo

Reaction score
anyone on this forum familiar with Proper Cloth custom shirts?

I need a slim fitting shirt, which they have as an option, along with you measurements, of course. For me, I not only have a slim fit need, but a 37 sleeve in a 16 neck. Very tough to find. I have some in my closet, but they are freaking huge in the torso. I could parasail in them
laugh.gif

http://www.propercloth.com/

Icarium

Reaction score
My TM Lewins came today, and I thought I would post measuements for public use here.

I ordered size 15-33 in the Windsor Slim Fit line.

Unwashed (no-shrinkage) Measurements:

Shoulders across back = 18"
Chest pit-to-pit = 21.5"
Waist (slimmest point) = 18.5"
Bottom opening = 19.5"
Arm hole (top of seam to bottom, straight distance) = 9.5"
Collar (from button shank to center of hole)= 15.25"

I am one skinny mofo, at 5'10" and 140 lbs. My jacket measurements are 17.5" shoulder (across back) and 37" chest for reference.

The shirt is decently baggy on me, enough so that I will be taking these to the tailors. I also wish the shoulder was about 0.5" smaller, but that may be helped a bit when it shrinks a couple percent in the wash. These are work shirts, so I'm not going for tight - I just feel they could be a little slimmer.

The fabric is nice enough - especially for a 32$ shirt! Easily as good as overpriced brands like J.Crew and BR, for less than half the cost. Collars feel stiff enough as well. Overall, I am happy with the purchase, but perhaps a little disapointed they aren't more slim. After 10-15$ tailoring fees, they will still be a good deal, so I would probably buy again.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also happy with my TM Lewins - fabric is definitely better than many shirts priced at twice or three times their price in the US and collars are stiff. They look like REAL shirts, not flimsy ones put together.

Once you have them taken in by a good tailor, you'll love them even more!

That said, I have not liked any of their white shirts though. They have been all see-through.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I am also happy with my TM Lewins - fabric is definitely better than many shirts priced at twice or three times their price in the US and collars are stiff. They look like REAL shirts, not flimsy ones put together.

Once you have them taken in by a good tailor, you'll love them even more!

That said, I have not liked any of their white shirts though. They have been all see-through.

Coz you've probably been ordering poplin. Try twill, herringbone and/or oxford fabric

apwrxmd

Reaction score
I just bought one of the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit Shirts to test the water and see if they are worth it.

Anyone have any experience with how slim these are cut, it says that they are the slimmest that they make.

I feel like they might be TOO slim for me. Anyone have experience with this style?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
Coz you've probably been ordering poplin. Try twill, herringbone and/or oxford fabric

I have tried twill and oxford. Both are see-through on me (although not on some people). I will try herringbone sometime...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apwrxmd
I just bought one of the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit Shirts to test the water and see if they are worth it.

Anyone have any experience with how slim these are cut, it says that they are the slimmest that they make.

I feel like they might be TOO slim for me. Anyone have experience with this style?

I ordered one but returned it since I did not like the collar - it was too big and long. I don;t remember the fit. I like their Milan collars.

Icarium

Reaction score
I feel like my Land's End custom pinpoint white shirt is less see-through than the Windsor pinpoint white. I sent the LE one back for a sizing adjustment, but the next one is in the mail right now. I will let you know how that goes.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not tightly fitted but generally slim across the waist and sleeves. I've not altered any of my slim fit TMs coz they are slim enough for me. I have a very medium build 5 10" 165 lbs 40 chest

Icarium

Reaction score
Update on washed TM Lewin Windsor Slim Fit for those wondering about shrinkage...

They shrunk about 2% on first washing - pit-to-pit changed to about 21", and the neck shrunk to approximately 15" from 15.25".

wabbit

Reaction score

I cautiously ordered one as a trial, but I've discovered that it fits me perfectly. I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs with a 35" chest. The 15/34 is a wonderful fit.

Just keep in mind that the Rovereto is short, so it's probably best to wear casually... unless you're wearing your pants at your neck.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
Update on washed TM Lewin Windsor Slim Fit for those wondering about shrinkage...

They shrunk about 2% on first washing - pit-to-pit changed to about 21", and the neck shrunk to approximately 15" from 15.25".

I have had mine dry-cleaned (so far) and have not noticed any shrinkage. Time will tell...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads