• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: Wings + Horns Jacket Dilemma

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
First, I don't know if Roden Gray will ship stuff out, but let me know if anyone is interested in a proxy on anything. They have stuff in larger sizes, but not so much in smaller sizes.

So Roden Gray is having a sale, where all their clothing is 50% off. That's solid. And even though I normally pick up much of my W+H at the occasional sample sale, one thing that's hard to find at those is outerwear. So the fact that both the Mackinaw AND the M65 jacket are both 1/2 off (240 Canadian) is looking pretty good to me right now. I am in need of a warmer jacket: my vandenberg is great but it's not lined.

So I am faced with a few options. First, I can get an M65 in a slim fit, which is pretty damned flattering. Or I can grab a mackinaw in slim fit; similar cut but with buttons. Or I could get the mack a size up and have layering room (I wouldn't really want to size up on the M65).

Or I could just go totally off the board and grab this olive wool NiCo jacket that's on sale at gravity pope for 379. Which has the benefit that if I buy something else on top of it, I get a 3rd thing (anything cheaper than the first 2) free.

So, what would you do? Which do you prefer? I'm pretty torn so your input is most welcome.

Pictures of the jackets:
W+H Mack
25461_1.jpg

W+H M65
25477_1.jpg

NiCo coat (epaulets, collar are removable)
fw08-nc-034.jpg

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
NiCo jacket. It's wool. I thought about buying the W+H Mackinaw from Blackbird, but I don't want a heavy fleece jacket. I've handled the NiCo jacket and it's very solid.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yeah I put it on and it's heavy, and warm. I hate the epaulets but they do come off. I think I would have preferred it if it had a hood. But it fits me quite well, particularly for such a thick coat. And it's olive, and I'm sort of on a green thing right now. But W+H is so flattering... I am torn.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mack has a lot of stuff going on in the front. The NiCo one is the most versatile in the bunch. I would probably lean toward that one. I would like to see it closed though. I assumed that the buttons were covered, but on looking at it again, it doesn't look like that is the case.

thirdman

Reaction score
I can't really offer any advice, except to say that I've been seriously considering both of those W+H jackets and have decided that I prefer the look of the M65 (I think it's the contrast between the minimalist/militaristic style of the M65 style and the fleece; the Mackinaw looks too much like it should be done in fleece in the first place, though of course some people would prefer it for this reason).

But then I've never seen them in person, and the NiCo jacket looks great (I've pretty much relied on NiCo for my outerwear the past few years).

Anyway, could I ask what the fleece is like? I've put off buying one because I don't like normal light-weight fleece at all, and I'm not sure whether the heavier weight of the material would make it feel different enough.

Thanks!

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Anyway, could I ask what the fleece is like? I've put off buying one because I don't like normal light-weight fleece at all, and I'm not sure whether the heavier weight of the material would make it feel different enough.

It's pretty solid. In BC (where I am and where the stuff is made) it's fully adequate for just about any temperature we get on a regular basis. Which means it probably wouldn't do you if you live in Winnipeg or Edmonton where it's -20 celsius in the winters, but it's definitely pretty thick. I have a jacket / cardigan thing from W+H that is quite warm and the M65 and Mack are made thicker than that, so you can imagine. It's a very good city jacket.

bdr3

Reaction score
I have that NiCo coat and it is fantastic. Extremely rugged and warm. It is also a nice break from the endless sea of black and gray.

chanimal

Reaction score
I would go with one of the W/H. I copped the M65 on boxing day for 225 Cda and I'm pretty happy, although the Mack was my first choice they didnt have any left in black. Its pretty warm, warm enough for winter in Toronto at least.

Chrispy

Reaction score
NiCo looks awesome. Wish I had something like that.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
I would like to see it closed though. I assumed that the buttons were covered, but on looking at it again, it doesn't look like that is the case.
No, they're not; I found a could pics of it closed.

82988139jp2.jpg

28659460535526892cedre3.jpg

KenN

Reaction score
I own the W+H Mac and it is almost perfect. The jacket is hefty and well constructed, the fleece inside the pocket is super soft, the length is perfect and the details are spot on.

The only thing that I would want on this jacket is an inner lining instead of exposed fleece, as it is not quite warm enough to wear in the dead of winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads