• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light grey wedding suit

goalie35

Reaction score
Hi all,
I will be getting married this July in a casual outdoor ceremony and am looking for a light grey suit. This suit gives an idea of the colour I'm thinking of and I'd prefer a 2-button, but basically I'm open to suggestions for specific suits I could look at buying. Would like to keep it under $500 USD, and I am in Canada so that complicates things a bit. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Aaron

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grey for a wedding though... White tux or go home son.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think light grey could be nice. But is your wedding going into the evening? If so, I'd lean toward dark grey or navy. I did dark grey myself, but regret not doing navy instead.

goalie35

Reaction score
No, it won't be going into the evening. It's morning ceremony and early afternoon brunch reception, casual as I said so I think I'd prefer the light grey to dark grey or navy. Any suggestions?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goalie35
Hi all, I will be getting married this July in a casual outdoor ceremony and am looking for a light grey suit. This suit gives an idea of the colour I'm thinking of and I'd prefer a 2-button, but basically I'm open to suggestions for specific suits I could look at buying. Would like to keep it under $500 USD, and I am in Canada so that complicates things a bit. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Aaron
I did a light grey, peak-lapel suit for a mid-afternoon summer wedding. I got the suit at Paul Stuart, and I think that it looked fairly sharp. I have a light complexion, so white would have washed me out. Wore it with a nice very light purple tie with very faint light-green shapes (not a traditional wedding tie, but a nice Holiday and Brown that was distinctive enough to be festive). Getting the tone right was pretty important, and to me the peak lapels added a festive touch that a plain grey notch lapel wouldn't have had. If you do it, you want to be sure that the suit doesn't look like a standard business suit if at all possible. I don't regret doing a light grey suit, but it is certainly not super-traditional. Whatever you do, invest in really top-notch tailoring so that the fit really works. I would suggest buying in person (I did, and even paid retail!!) so that you can be sure that it fits well off the rack. Best of luck and congrats!! EDIT: I won't vouch for the quality of these suits (and you know forum biases), but quick search revealed: Sean John (looks decent to my eye, if a little dark) - http://www.execstyle.com/Sproducts_sepa.asp?pid=1322# And something from Fezza (god forbid, but pricing is right and Men's Wearhouse does have a full run of sizes): http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswear/detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474395565291&FOLDER<>browsePath=1408474395565291 Or you can get something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gray-Wo...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50) and add stroller trousers -- if you pay $350-400 you should be able to get those made by Hickey Freeman custom Or you can do a darker fabric, although I don't know "M. Valentino" http://cgi.ebay.com/M-VALENTINO-MEN...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1307|301:1|293:1|294:50 Good luck!

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goalie35
No, it won't be going into the evening. It's morning ceremony and early afternoon brunch reception, casual as I said so I think I'd prefer the light grey to dark grey or navy. Any suggestions?

You Dont Say...

sjg22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
You Dont Say...

I think that the "casual" part of that statement needs to be emphasized. As much as I would give a thumbs-up to morning dress in general, in this instance it doesn't appear to be in keeping with the tone of the ceremony.

I see no problem in going with a mid-grey suit. I don't know how much I like the sound of "light grey"... I would go with something that is solidly 'grey'; not charcoal, but not too light either. Remember, this is your party, so wear what you want. I would obviously try and avoid looking like an idiot, but if you buy a really nice mid-grey suit and wear a dark tie and white shirt, I guarantee you that you have nothing to worry about.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning dress is casual
smile.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dove grey is a very traditional colour for a groom. It is a very attractive colour, especially for summer. Dove grey morning suits are particularly nice:

2034fe9.jpg

I would not hesitate one moment to recommend the colour for a daytime ceremony.

mkerr

Reaction score
went to a wedding a few weeks back, groom et al were in light grey + white flat front shoes.
******* hideous.
that said, when it's done well it looks good.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Does anyone else think that HRH Charles' coat looks a bit shapeless?

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
And here's me thinking that Savile Row tailoring confers magical immunity to the effects of weather.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
Does anyone else think that HRH Charles' coat looks a bit shapeless?

Yes, it looks like A&S were trying to make a body coat with drape. Body coats are called that because they are cut to closely follow the shape of the body. That example is not really successful. However, I do like the colour and the general idea of the garment. The actual realisation leaves a bit to be desired.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads