• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Muay Thai/ Thai Boxing

Nicogs1

Reaction score
I have been super health conscious all throughout high school. I took all kinds of supplements, lifted weights, and ran a lot to keep in shape. But then winter break or summer break would come along and I would see my body loosing muscle tonality and I would gain a little fat because I got lazy and just wanted to have fun. Aout a year and a half ago I got into this Martial Art called Muay Thai, also known as Thai Boxing. The workouts were super hard, but eventually my body got use to it. The thing about Muay Thai is that I no longer have to take supplements to stay in shape, I still run often, but I also eat whatever I want and I never really see the consiquences and I feel a lot stronger than when I lifted weights. I lifted about 5 times a week, but now I just do 3 days a week of Muay Thai training and I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life.

mkerr

Reaction score
probably didn't need supplements before it either.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lost 40 lbs since starting Muay Thai back in June.

mkerr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
Supplements is only suppose to help provide extra nutrients and vitamins often needed for heavy weight lifting.
6895.gif

thanks, i didn't know.

lizmasc

Reaction score
You were probably overtraining if you were lifting 5 times a week, meaning the body wasn't resting enough to show any real strength. Now doing some of the bodyweight exercices in class (less taxing) for 3 days a week seems to be the amount of effort your body can cope with
rimshot.gif
smiley2.gif

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lizmasc
You were probably overtraining if you were lifting 5 times a week, meaning the body wasn't resting enough to show any real strength. Now doing some of the bodyweight exercices in class (less taxing) for 3 days a week seems to be the amount of effort your body can cope with
rimshot.gif
smiley2.gif

You found what works for you - if you enjoy it and feel great you can ask for little more. My only caveat with Muay Thai in the west is the variable quality of trainers - you see this in Thailand as well but the easy access to gyms and quality trainers makes it easier to compare. With a great instructor though Muay Thai is an exceptional art.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I'm off to Thailand on Thursday night actually. Woohoo...Lumpini

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I'm off to Thailand on Thursday night actually. Woohoo...Lumpini

You will have a great time in Thailand! Are you going specifically to train? If so let me know where you are headed.

Also, have you read up on farang visits to Lumpini? You will find mixed reactions but I'd say it is worth a visit - once.

Largo

Reaction score
Yeah, same deal as before? Don't go for the training fights, don't neccesarily get conned into the ringside (and overpriced at that) seats.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ive been there maybe 7 or 8 times...and no, not a training trip. Fell for the ringside thing once, other times, in the back with the screaming and the gambling.

I wish I knew some place a little more 'underground' to go watch the fights....me and Bangkok have reached an impasse like that. All the stuff I know, Ive done to death...don't really have any friends there to take me to the next level.

Anyhow, a week in Thailand, trip with the boys. First three days in BKK, next three in Hua Hin. May do the last night in Pattaya.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am very jealous, but even if I was there I wouldn't be able to have all the "guy" fun with you.

have a blast.

Originally Posted by m@T
Ive been there maybe 7 or 8 times...and no, not a training trip. Fell for the ringside thing once, other times, in the back with the screaming and the gambling.

I wish I knew some place a little more 'underground' to go watch the fights....me and Bangkok have reached an impasse like that. All the stuff I know, Ive done to death...don't really have any friends there to take me to the next level.

Anyhow, a week in Thailand, trip with the boys. First three days in BKK, next three in Hua Hin. May do the last night in Pattaya.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

Being in the back is more fun, but the special foreign pricing regardless of the location gets old after you live there.

As for more 'underground' - there isn't that much 'beautiful Muay Thai' as one trainer called it nowadays in general. For more atmosphere your best bet is to head up to smaller cities in Isaan. I'm not in Thailand at the moment, otherwise I could show you around Bangkok a bit but to be bluntly honest, most of my time away from work is spent at the gym, working on what is left of my golf game, or catching up with friends. Both expat and Thai alike they tend to gravitate to the same places along Sukhumvit. There are a few nice out of the way restaraunts to hit, the odd bar open past the standard closing time etc but nothing that you would write home about after being to Thailand half a dozen times.

If you haven't been down to some of the smaller islands in the south, along the western border with Myanmar, or up to Chiang Rai those would be my recomendations for a future trip to see some of the nicer parts of Thailand.

EDIT - you live in Saigon? If you have been around Vietnam a bit then aside from good Thai food, you have probably had some more enjoyable SE Asian experiences than most foreigners living in Thailand.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nomad_K
EDIT - you live in Saigon? If you have been around Vietnam a bit then aside from good Thai food, you have probably had some more enjoyable SE Asian experiences than most foreigners living in Thailand.
Oh my gallivanting has been well documented
smile.gif

Thanks for the pointers though. Ill be staying in an apt on Soi 4, pretty decent proximity to the sort of nights out that my friends have in mind.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I had the best 2 hour workout last night, I love my MT gym. I used to do MMA and lifting, then just lifting, and now just Muay Thai (with a little 20 minute circuit before I start training). I feel great, and I'm much leaner and less bulky than I was before. Fitting in clothes instead of busting through them is great.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I had the best 2 hour workout last night, I love my MT gym. I used to do MMA and lifting, then just lifting, and now just Muay Thai (with a little 20 minute circuit before I start training). I feel great, and I'm much leaner and less bulky than I was before. Fitting in clothes instead of busting through them is great.

dont do it youre a *****.

laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads