• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differentiating real from fake mother of pearl

Cid

Reaction score
MOP or other? Can you tell from the photos? I did the click test and compared to RLPL shirt buttons and am still unsure...

MOP1.jpg

MOP2.jpg

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, Kent, I hope this isn't your subtle way of suggesting that you'll be issuing a recall on your MOP cufflinks.
wink.gif

reason_being

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RLlikes
MOP or other? Can you tell from the photos? I did the click test and compared to RLPL shirt buttons and am still unsure...
_.png

MOP1.jpg

MOP2.jpg

It's hard to tell from photos.

Cid

Reaction score
To clarify, the cuff links I posted are from Brooks Bros clearance center, not from Kent.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, those are not ours. Compare our antique Japanese MOP cuff links.

I noticed that the rings on yours are not soldered shut. They might pull apart and separate after some wear.

I find clicking the buttons against each other to be the most reliable way of telling. Maybe your BB shirts aren't MOP either?

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I don't think they look like MOP but i'm not shure. If you bite them, it sould not only feel hard but rather like if you were biting a stone. There is a vast difference in feel to a plastic button.

Cid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Maybe your BB shirts aren't MOP either?

The links are BB, the shirt buttons to which I compared them are RL Purple Label.

I like the idea of soldering the rings shut. A bohemian glass set of links that I got from you suffered the pulling apart fate. Good to know that you are now soldering them.

Nice antique Japanese MOP cuff links, by the way.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never had good success with the bite test. Plus it's a little awkward to do this in a store.

I like the idea of soldering the rings shut. A bohemian glass set of links that I got from you suffered the pulling apart fate. Good to know that you are now soldering them.
Sorry to hear about this. All of our cuff links are soldered shut. Perhaps the solder failed. Please send them back for repair and I will compensate you for shipping. Please email me at [email protected] to arrange this.

Cid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Sorry to hear about this. All of our cuff links are soldered shut. Perhaps the solder failed. Please send them back for repair and I will compensate you for shipping. Please email me at [email protected] to arrange this.

As I recall, I got these from you when you had just switched from the elastic string attachments to the metal links. Here they are:

BohemianGlassLinks1.jpg

I ordered 3 squares from you over the weekend. I'll send these cuff links back to you later this week.

Cid

Reaction score
Just updating this to reaffirm that Kent is a true gentleman. There should be no doubt that he takes care of his customers. He sent me an email this afternoon saying he will replace the broken link cufflinks at no charge. Above and beyond expectations! Thanks again Kent - no doubt you will get more of my business in the future!

As for my BB cufflinks, I'll try clicking them together to see if the sound is any different than with buttons that I know to be true mop.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just hold them up against your lips, Mother-of-pearl will feel cool while plastic will feel the same temperature as the room you are in.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually just hold the buttons up to the light. Plastic will have uniform coloration and reflectivity while mother of pearl has more variation.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the "cool to the touch" test works best for me. The "click" and bite test dont really tell me anything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads