• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I manually distress my raw denim?

pharrow59

Reaction score
while ringring's advice is spot on, i have a strong suspicion that the op will overdo it. just wear them man.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Most of these suggestions are probably going to end up badly for you.

You bought raw denim. The purpose of raw denim is to wear them in GRADUALLY (yes, as in OVER TIME) and in most cases any attempts to speed up or manually alter the process winds up with inferior fading and disappointment.

If you can't be patient and wear the jeans as intended you should probably return them and buy a pair of pre-washed, pre-faded jeans.

+1
Yeah it seems like a waste of money to buy raw denim for manual distressing.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its just an experiment on a pair of STF, who cares. Its like $30, have some fun with them.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can I get a nice cockfade?
Will this involve hiring someone to rub it?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Its just an experiment on a pair of STF, who cares. Its like $30, have some fun with them.

Woops, I thought it read that he was doing it to Nudies. In that case, get creative with it.

LookSharp

Reaction score
Give them to a tramp for a few weeks then buy them back with a bottle of cheap whiskey.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nothin like STD fadezzz

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use sand paper just beat the **** out of them.

Tie them to the back of your car and drive around the block with them a few times, kick them as hard as you can with some boots, grind them into the pavement, make it like a whip and slap them against a brick wall, just be ridiculous to them and, whether or not they'll look good, they'll certainly look INTERESTING. And this is something I've always wanted to do. Be creative with other things too, roll them up and beat them with a bat, throw rocks at them, etc!

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
+1 Yeah it seems like a waste of money to buy raw denim for manual distressing.
There are companies in japan that custom distress japanese denim that are much much more nicer than a pair of levi's STFs. It seems like a very artistic and careful process. There's a video of Gordon from BiG visiting one of these places in a video floating around on SuFu. I don't have plans to do it myself but my opinion is that manually distressing denim can certainly result in a beautiful pair of jeans.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
There are companies in japan that custom distress japanese denim that are much much more nicer than a pair of levi's STFs. There's a video of Gordon from BiG visiting one of these places in a video floating around on SuFu. I don't have plans to do it myself but my opinion is that manually distressing denim can certainly result in a beautiful pair of jeans.
here is said video

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i have always wanted to put something that would rust in a bucket of water, and then a pair of jeans in the rusty water to see if the rust color would transfer

or like, powdercoat a pair like you would say a truck bed and then try to break that **** in

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
i have always wanted to put something that would rust in a bucket of water, and then a pair of jeans in the rusty water to see if the rust color would transfer

This is actually a good idea. I'd imagine that you could rust some nails with vinegar or something, evaporate the vinegar, and then make yourself some very rusty water. Let the jeans sit out there for a week or two just soaking in it and I'm sure you'd get something interesting happening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads