• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
So, anyone going to the Oiler game Sunday?
Oiler game was enjoyable...It was cool to see so many of the old guys back in Edmonton for Anderson's jersey retirement.
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness
Thanks for the heads up sir. I'll have to make a stop into WEM to check HR. I can't usually bring myself to walk into Holt, but I'll definitely head downtown and check out Singer. I always find the people there to be head and shoulders above Holt.
I know one of the SA that works at Harry Rosen...nice guy but doesn't really know much about clothes. I prefer Holt to Singer solely on the fact that they carry a nice selection of Paul Smith.

minus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
There were 3-4 racks of suits and sport coats marked down by about 60-70%, but it was fairly unimpressive stuff for the price. Armani jacket for $800, Paul Smith for slightly less. Notice the same 2-3 brands keep popping up? Pretty annoying.

I find this as well. Same brands, same clothes, same prices. Year in, year out. Maybe it's a prairies thing, but Holt/Harry/Henry stick to the same formula every season. Same brands come in, ergo, same brands at the same markdown season after season. One could replace their suits once a year.

Last year they had a bunch of Ralph Lauren Purple Label marked down, but this year they didn't even bring any in. It was badly ignored, IMO, last year. Sticking the Purple Label in the far corner by the change rooms does really feature it all that well.

I'll give props for Holt bringing in some of those wacky Prada cummerbunds and ties from Fall. I'd never wear any of it (personally, I thought the look wasn't particularly that interesting) but kudos on bringing in something vaguely different. Too bad they didn't bring in the whole line, just bits and pieces making the whole thing rather pointless.

I've yet to see anyone wearing any of it, but I don't get out much.

Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness
Thanks for the heads up sir. I'll have to make a stop into WEM to check HR. I can't usually bring myself to walk into Holt, but I'll definitely head downtown and check out Singer. I always find the people there to be head and shoulders above Holt.

For service, I've found Singer to be the best. Helpful if needed, leave you alone if not. The streetwear oriented store, Henry's, is pretty much right up there too. Great service. Still nothing I'm overly thrilled about what's in the store (I mean, how many stores need to be selling that much Diesel and Hugo Boss?), but there's a few bits and pieces that are nice.

I avoid Harry Rosen based on the sales people alone. I know they work on commission, but I'd like to take more than two steps in before being asked if I need any help. (Let me look first, dammit.)

Holt's seems to take the opposite approach to Henry Singer. SA's are crawling over you when you're just trying to pick out a nice pair of gloves, and far too busy flipping through the catalog to let you know if they have a pair of shoes in your size.

Originally Posted by Stazy
I prefer Holt to Singer solely on the fact that they carry a nice selection of Paul Smith.

I don't know what Edmonton's Holt stocks, but Calgary's rarely if ever carries any of the mainline. Which is a little disappointing as that's the interesting stuff.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minus

I don't know what Edmonton's Holt stocks, but Calgary's rarely if ever carries any of the mainline. Which is a little disappointing as that's the interesting stuff.

Hopefully this changes once they move to their new location. Anyone know when they're making the leap?

minus

Reaction score
I've heard that it's meant to open Fall 2009. I'm not sure when the Harry rosen and the Brooks Brother's move in, but Holt's is meant to be in place by late this year. I'd like to see Holt expand it's selection when this happens. Maybe I'll start shopping there again when they have something I want. I know, totally insane concept, right?
smile.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minus
I've heard that it's meant to open Fall 2009. I'm not sure when the Harry rosen and the Brooks Brother's move in, but Holt's is meant to be in place by late this year.

I'd like to see Holt expand it's selection when this happens. Maybe I'll start shopping there again when they have something I want. I know, totally insane concept, right?
smile.gif

I read that BB is coming to Calgary in fall of 2009. I'll reserve judgment until I see their prices, but in the long run, a major competitor like that can only be for the good.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I read that BB is coming to Calgary in fall of 2009. I'll reserve judgment until I see their prices, but in the long run, a major competitor like that can only be for the good.

Well, at least you may be getting BB. In Saskatoon, there are rumours of Harry Rosen setting up shop. Great. Fabulous. One more place not to shop in Saskatoon!

minus

Reaction score
I expect the BB prices will be inline with the exchange rate, which depending on how that shifts in the next few months, might be a a good thing.

I'm just hoping they bring in Black Fleece. I prefer Thom mainline, but if BB brings that in it may make Holt/Harry/Henry up their game.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
Well, at least you may be getting BB. In Saskatoon, there are rumours of Harry Rosen setting up shop. Great. Fabulous. One more place not to shop in Saskatoon!

Really? Where have you heard that rumor? I am usually pretty optomistic about Saskatoon, but Harry Rosen would fail pretty miserably here I think.

PS - This thread rocks.

Chinook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
another one of us? This thread has me thoroughly impressed. This is totally random, but, was that you that I ran into on campus in like October and I said 'sick Dukes' and we had a quick chat, Notrekrip?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chinook
another one of us?

This thread has me thoroughly impressed.

This is totally random, but, was that you that I ran into on campus in like October and I said 'sick Dukes' and we had a quick chat, Notrekrip?

Hmm, I don't recall that. But, then again, I do teach on campus and have "random chats" with folks all the time. I'm not sure.
blush.gif

Most days I'm dressed more "MC" than "SW&D" on campus; it makes me yearn for the weekends even more when I can actually be somewhat adventurous with clothing.

minus

Reaction score
Since the local folks seem to check in here every so often, and nifty new suit should be awaiting me at the post office tomorrow, anyone got a good recommendation for a tailor?

I know. I'm getting repetitive, but you guys must get your stuff tailored, right? Help a fellow hinterlander out, here.

PhilB

Reaction score
Hey man, I would check out Tops tailor on 8th. I havent gotten anything back from them yet but I am in the process of having a MTM suit made. When I went in for a consult and measuring they seemed quite knowledgable. I have read good reviews of them here on the forum. Worth checking out.

minus

Reaction score
Do you mean Toppers? It's the only listing I found on eighth. Or is this a different place?

How are they price wise?

PhilB

Reaction score
Sorry, I was typing my message on the fly. I do mean Toppers custom tailors on 8th. Again, I have only looked into their MTM stuff but I was looking at roughly around $550 for a suit. From the discussion I had with the proprieter he seemed to have a good understanding of fit, and style. If you get alterations done, let me know how they are.

minus

Reaction score
I may check them out. I'm always a bit worried as a tailors understanding of fit and style will almost certainly be in direct conflict with what I need to have tailored.

To wit, the suit I'm eagerly awaiting is my second Thom Browne. My last tailor did an okay job with my last Thom suit , and a mediocre job on my Black Fleece sport coat (to his credit, it was bought last year and I've lost a size in that time, so bringing a jacket down a size isn't profoundly easy). He was, on the other hand familiar with the style, if only in passing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads