• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this be wrong/unethical?

sloane3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Once the shoes have been worn "off the carpet" and the leather soles scuffed, I am not sure the store be willing to take them back unless you can demonstrate that they are somehow defective.

Did you even read the blasted thread?

Originally Posted by peree
hello,

so after browsing some threads I've wanted to buy some beautiful C&J belgraves from Plal but I cannot afford to wait as I have an interview in two days. I was wondering if it was ok to buy C&J belgrave from a retailer near me at the more expensive price and then wear those and when I receive the belgraves I also ordered from Plal, return the new ones I received from Plal to the store.
Technically this isn't wrong right? since I'm returning the same brand new shoe? Do you think this is ok? Are there serial numbers or something that might not identify the shoe as the same shoe?

I say do it.

sloane3

Reaction score
**** you!

crackup[1].gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hell this is so wrong and selfish.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane3
crackup[1].gif

Why don't you take a lint roller and ram it up your snout!! Then you can tell us if it leaves any ******* residue!!!

sloane3

Reaction score
I am refereeing to the soles.

Assuming the shoes you describe have leather soles, the soles will be noticeably scuffed by being walked in on a hard surface, even for a short time.

The retailer will spot this right away and is not going to want to take them back unless you can convince him that they are defective.

And, yes, what you propose is a cheap, sleazy, thing to do. Look at the poll results!

eh.gif

This referee thinks it's a T-errific idea.

referee.jpg

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif
referee.jpg

You'd look better with a lint roller sticking out of your nose!

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh... I like morally challenged sartorial dilemmas like this.

If you go through with this, I'd suggest the following too:

1) Buy an item. Keep the receipt.

2) After a few days, take only the receipt back to the store (or even better go to another outlet of the same store).

3) Pick up a new item and head to the refund counter.

4) Try to get a refund or at least store credit using your old receipt.

Doesn't work with anything that has a security tag for obvious reasons. Works well with Briggs umbrellas. You can open it indoors to shield yourself from the security cameras. When questioned, just say that you are testing it out to see if the flaw you noticed was a figment of your hyperactive imagination. To really throw them off guard, swing the umbrella while making lightsaber noises.

Gaz

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
eh.gif

referee.jpg

rotflmao.gif
seriously dude, you are now my favorite poster haha. Two epic comebacks, with the latter sealing the deal. Bravo sloane, bravo. I look forward to seeing more of you

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
If you feel that this is really no big deal just ask the retailer themselves if they mind.
How did this simple question not end this thread a long time ago?

To the OP: Think of the difference in price between the two pairs of shoes as the cost of your not having planned far enough ahead. Pay it, and then be grateful that your local retailer was there when you needed him.

mdesq

Reaction score
Brand spanking new shoes to an interview? I'd avoid that like the plague, but that's just me.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an intriguing proposal.

Why did the OP feel the need to poll the forum? Just do it already if that's what you want.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not taking a side here, but why would Plal care? He's not the one having shoes returned to him? This also seems to be very relevant to the OP, if there are serial numbers on the shoes that match the box, then you are out of luck. I would not risk trying to return a product with different serial numbers, even if I were willing to justify this return as a victimless crime.
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
they may or may not do this, but CJs have serial numbers on the inside of the shoe. They may look at in case of a return. also, Plal frequents the forum, so you probably screwed yourself already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics