• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tailor in Boston area? any reccomendations?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of these tailors would be best for taking in a significant amount from a jacket? And Which is first for shirts? I've had moderate success with Frank's, but he told me he couldn't take in from the darts.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Which of these tailors would be best for taking in a significant amount from a jacket? And Which is first for shirts? I've had moderate success with Frank's, but he told me he couldn't take in from the darts.

That's 'cause you didn't say "dahts".

- E

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good Taylor in the Brookline area? By good I mean will do a serviceable job on basic alterations, not reconstruct a suit. Chestnut Hill is not too far, so maybe I'll try Mario. Cambridge is not far as the crow flies, but somehow I never seem to get across the river on a regular basis.

Mershanks

Reaction score
I haven't been to Franks but with Jack's he's done a very nice job on shortening my shirt sleeves and taking in the sides and re-creating the stitches. It's a bit of a pricey job though.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's right at the corner of Rt. 9 and Hammond Rd. so it's a pretty straight shot for you.

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Anyone know a good Taylor in the Brookline area? By good I mean will do a serviceable job on basic alterations, not reconstruct a suit. Chestnut Hill is not too far, so maybe I'll try Mario. Cambridge is not far as the crow flies, but somehow I never seem to get across the river on a regular basis.

pred02

Reaction score
He's right at the corner of Rt. 9 and Hammond Rd. so it's a pretty straight shot for you.
I am sorry I have never been to a tailor, but I do need 5-6 shirts that I would like "better fit" and 3 suit pants that I need a simple hem. What should I expect for prices?

Thanks!

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bumpin up the thread to see if there are any more suggestions, I am leaning towards calling/stoppin by Jacks on Tuesday, need to have some slight alterations done to my suit by the 27th so I am hoping to find a tailor that can do that for me.... might be a tough task though,

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think im going to start using Jack's myself.

I have been pretty displeased with Joe at Rizzo's lately. He just won't bend to doing alterations how i want. He consistently refuses to take jackets in to create any waist suppression and im not talking ultra tight but minimal suppression. He also doesn't like to shorten sleeves to the point of showing cuff, you have to demand it. Same with pants, way too much break. Im just sick of fighting with him about everything. He can do some great work when he agrees with you, but that is not often. My favorite quote of his lately is "everyone wants to look like a stuffed sausage"

Although his handsewn working buttonholes are amazing! I might just use him for only button-holes and use Jack's for everything else.

Anyone know if Jack does handsewn working sleeve buttons? Also, will he alter shirts?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I think im going to start using Jack's myself.

I have been pretty displeased with Joe at Rizzo's lately. He just won't bend to doing alterations how i want. He consistently refuses to take jackets in to create any waist suppression and im not taking ultra tight but minimal suppression. He also doesn't like to shorten sleeves to the point of showing cuff, you have to demand it. Same with pants, way too much break. Im just sick of fighting with him about everything. He can do some great work when he agrees with you, but that is not often. My favorite quote of his lately is "everyone wants to look like a stuffed sausage"

Although his handsewn working buttonholes are amazing! I might just use him for only button-holes and use Jack's for everything else.

Anyone know if Jack does handsewn working sleeve buttons? Also, will he alter shirts?

What does Rizzo's charge for working buttonholes? Mario's doesn't do them.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I think Joe charges about $60 for four kissing buttons on each sleeve, but I might be wrong.

Jack's alters shirts. I saw a guy go in there once and get the side seams and arms slimmed -- it cost $40 per shirt for this.

mikej77

Reaction score
Jack has done some work on my suits (taking in a jacket, shortening sleeves, hemming pants, etc) and his work was perfect. He will not let you leave with your items unless you are completely satisfied with them. I always thought his prices were good but I guess that is because I pay a lot more now going to Field's in DC.

RanMan

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Joe @ Rizzo. I brought in a blazer that had working buttonholes. The sleeves were long, so a good bit of the alteration came from shortening the sleeve at the shoulder. He did a great job of it, terrific work and was generous with his time and knowledge, answering my questions along the way. A suit I brought in was an entirely different ball game, however. Trouser had too much break and the jacket sleeves were very long. The sleeves were measured and marked, but ultimately remained unaltered at 24" each. I wish I could say this dispute got ironed out smoothly, but it turned ugly and unprofessional.

I've had good results at Rodolfo's Tailoring, 100 Huntington Ave, Boston, in the small row of Dartmouth St shops near Neiman Marcus. I've found his feedback to be honest and his alterations, spot on. Just precise, crisp work done with a friendly, professional attitude.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I went to Jack's today because that seems to be the overall best choice after reading everyones posts and checking the reviews on yelp. The suit I am having tailored (or thought I was ) is pictured here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=97004&page=3. However after trying it on Jack proceeded to say that jacket fit perfect and needed no tailoring (I happen to disagree but it is hard to argue with a tailor especially someone as nice as Jack). He then marked where he was going to hem the pants and I said I would like them up a bit higher so there isnt all that much of a break. He proceeded to cross out the first mark and make another this time making them even a bit longer!!! at that point I was like whatever so we will see how they come out friday I am pretty sure I will trying them on and having him bring the hem up a bit more. Also he never even looked at the back of the suit or the pants! which is where I think the tailoring is needed. The ass of the pants is where the most help is needed, so overall even before getting it back, I am quite dissapointed..... oh and the hem charge was $18? a bit high no? (I really have no idea, any hemming I have had done in the past has been no more than $12, so maybe $18 is fair).

RanMan

Reaction score
This is kind of my experience with Jack's. Nice guy, but not a lot of attention spent on details, cleaning up a jacket in back, ect... Dropped off a pair of trousers that came back with a rather chunky hem line, as if an excessively thick hem found its way onto a pair of light weight wool trousers. Sit down and your eyes go to it straight away.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RanMan
I've had good results at Rodolfo's Tailoring, 100 Huntington Ave, Boston, in the small row of Dartmouth St shops near Neiman Marcus. I've found his feedback to be honest and his alterations, spot on. Just precise, crisp work done with a friendly, professional attitude.

Might have to try them myself, Is Rodolfo the tailor or is it run by other people?

Originally Posted by pg600rr
so I went to Jack's today because that seems to be the overall best choice after reading everyones posts and checking the reviews on yelp. The suit I am having tailored (or thought I was ) is pictured here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=97004&page=3. However after trying it on Jack proceeded to say that jacket fit perfect and needed no tailoring (I happen to disagree but it is hard to argue with a tailor especially someone as nice as Jack). He then marked where he was going to hem the pants and I said I would like them up a bit higher so there isnt all that much of a break. He proceeded to cross out the first mark and make another this time making them even a bit longer!!! at that point I was like whatever so we will see how they come out friday I am pretty sure I will trying them on and having him bring the hem up a bit more. Also he never even looked at the back of the suit or the pants! which is where I think the tailoring is needed. The ass of the pants is where the most help is needed, so overall even before getting it back, I am quite dissapointed..... oh and the hem charge was $18? a bit high no? (I really have no idea, any hemming I have had done in the past has been no more than $12, so maybe $18 is fair).

Hmmm, this is exactly the service i don't want and am fed up with and I'm a pretty straightforward customer. Why is it so hard to find a tailor that understands modern proportions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads