• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at Rolf-Benz? Their 1200, EGO type G or F sofas might be up your alley.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

If we do another Florence Knoll, we're looking at this fabric:

stirling.jpg

It's 96% wool and 4% cashmere. Martindale rating of 27,500.

I like that fabric a lot. I think you should go with that.
Think it's actually classier that the white leather.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What about now?
sofa2.jpg

They look like friends in a children's cartoon where objects that are inanimate in real life have personalities and can talk.
Two of my favorite posts ever.
laugh.gif

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've ever noticed the Foo liking DWR or even buying anything on sale. But there is a DWR Annex sale this weekend.

http://www.dwr.com/category/find+a+studio/dwrannex.do
EVENTS

Winter Warehouse Clearance Sale
Saturday, January 17 through
Monday, January 19, 10am – 6pm daily

Save up to 70% at our Secaucus, New Jersey warehouse.

The DWR Annex in Secaucus, New Jersey, is always a marvelous place for the design obsessed – it’s full of the best in modern design at a discount. But every once in a while, we pull out all the stops. This three–day weekend, during the DWR Annex Winter Clearance Sale, you can save up to 70% on tables, chairs, beds, sofas, classics, outdoor furniture and more. You’re sure to find a treasure amongst the returned and seasonal overstock inventory.

If you’re without wheels, on Saturday and Sunday DWR is offering a shuttle from the DWR: Tools for Living store (142 Wooster Street, between Houston and Prince). It will be leaving hourly between 10am and 4pm. The last shuttle leaves the DWR Annex in Secaucus at 5pm

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of Jasper Morrison stuff we like; I just don't recall this sofa. What do you know about Zannotta?

The Zanotta 'Alfa' sofa is one of my favorites in that style. Nice and low slung with a really modern look to it. The wool, in grey, is one I am lusting for, wish I would have bought it instead of the case study rip off I have.

http://www.europebynet.com/Detail_nn...NSFA010-1.html

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have two Cassina Maralunga 3 seater, they are holding up well.
3305.jpg
Considering reupholstering ... New covers are 1/3 of new sofa though ...

hypersonic

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one a lot recently.

Marenco from Arflex. designed in 1970 by Mario Marenco
211_orig.jpg

209_orig.jpg

210_orig.jpg

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
The Zanotta 'Alfa' sofa is one of my favorites in that style. Nice and low slung with a really modern look to it. The wool, in grey, is one I am lusting for, wish I would have bought it instead of the case study rip off I have.

Yeah, the Alfa is a great sofa ...I saw this picture a couple of weeks ago:
qrf6gh.jpg

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also have a look at the Kennedy sofa from Jean-Marie Massaud. It's very similar to the florence knoll.
I believe it's made by Cassina.

!luc

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Yeah, the Alfa is a great sofa ...I saw this picture a couple of weeks ago:

Whose house is that? Any links to more photos?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm. The Alfa looks very promising. I checked out the Poltrona Frau website to see the Keneddee, but found the Quadra more appealing:

quadra.jpg

I know Poltrona Frau leather is supposed to be top notch, but how is the construction quality compared to Knoll? The Quadra is about half the price of a leather Florence Knoll sofa.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Poltrona Frau leather is supposed to be top notch, but how is the construction quality compared to Knoll? The Quadra is about half the price of a leather Florence Knoll sofa.

I believe it's supposed to be very good. Cappelini, Cassina, and Poltrona are all held by the same group now, and have merged a lot of their facilities. Iammatt mentioned to me recently that whichever brand does a particular thing best now does it for all of them. So the Poltrona should have Cassina-level construction, while the other brands get Poltrana-level leather, etc.

Knoll quality is really the pits, so that's not a high bar to clear.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads