• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about MacBooks?

HighSociety

Reaction score
Just did some fooling around at HP.com

I could buy a HP laptop for $1,800 (its really $2,000. But they offer an instant $200 rebate) with these specs:

2.5ghz
6gb of RAM DDR2
500GB Hard drive
16 inch screen
64-bit Vista

BUt its 7 pounds! And Im sure the weight would increase since I added all of these other things

B1FF

Reaction score
64-bit Vista does weigh twice as much as the 32-bit version.

princemarko

Reaction score
I've owned hundreds of computers.

Macs are the best by far. Get a previous version Macbook Black. It has the same speeds and HD space and about 1/3 of the price. Why would you but a crappy Dell or HP laptop when you can get a Macbook for the same price? Its like skipping over a Mercedes for a Ford Fiesta.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a MacBook Pro. Hated the OS - it's built FOR marsupialS. Literally. If you have computer savvy and only care about functionality then don't get it.

If you are a someone who worries about viruses, does not know how to prevent spyware, never uses MS Office, likes the sex appeal, or prefers dragging and dropping and using a mouse for everything, a Mac might be right for you. Also if you like indie music and write a blog, or frequently visit the SW&D forum, you should also get one.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HighSociety
I own a Dell. It sucks! If anything, if I dont get a Mac, it would be a HP. But I cant find another cmoputer that weighs around 5 pounds and is nice and compact with the same power as the MBP
I have an HP and it sucks. My brother had a loaner sony and it seemed nice. There's always lenovo. Those thinkpads are solid.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
I've got a white Macbook. It's completely stained all over with grime, oil, grease, etc.

Up until I got this thing, I thought I was a pretty clean person. Evidently I'm quite slimy.

Don't get a white one, whatever you do.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I got a MacBook Pro. Hated the OS - it's built FOR marsupialS. Literally. If you have computer savvy and only care about functionality then don't get it.

If you are a someone who worries about viruses, does not know how to prevent spyware, never uses MS Office, likes the sex appeal, or prefers dragging and dropping and using a mouse for everything, a Mac might be right for you. Also if you like indie music and write a blog, or frequently visit the SW&D forum, you should also get one.

Yeah, having used OSX, I would say I did not like it one bit. Multitouch is quite overhyped, I have it on my laptop and it doesn't see too much usage (although the feature is quite novel). Overall, get whatever you like, as long as you promise you won't try to convert PC users everytime you see one. People like that are the scourge of this earth.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you a gamer? If so, I'd recommend some of the higher-end Asus rigs.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My computer needs are the following:

1. Browse the internet
2. Download music & movies
3. Write the occasional report
4. Make presentations

Needs one through three are a wash when comparing macs to pcs. However, the presentations I can make on keynote blow powerpoint out of the water. Because of this, I prefer macs.

HighSociety

Reaction score
yea... i was looking at keynote on youtbue and it looks a lot better

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never uses MS Office
There's been Intel-native Office for a couple of years now. It actually works better than the current Windows version in my experience.

or prefers dragging and dropping and using a mouse for everything
How is this different from Windows?

Not going to argue about it being an OS for 'tards, etc. other than to point out that it's Unix-based (giving people who give a damn far more control than offered by Windows) and the nerd demo is growing quickly (rather than just being a computer for effete designer pinkos).

TJS1589

Reaction score
I was a PC user my whole life. 2 years ago i switched to Mac. Never shall I go back to PC. Macs just run better and smoother end of story. I work in a comp. lab every now and then and work with both during the day, and can vouch that the PC's seem to just freeze or crash or something happens to screw up, where Macs just work. I can get Macs in and out of the lab in no time where PC's take forever. But I will agree Mac's prices are jacked and I hate it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
There's been Intel-native Office for a couple of years now. It actually works better than the current Windows version in my experience. How is this different from Windows? Not going to argue about it being an OS for 'tards, etc. other than to point out that it's Unix-based (giving people who give a damn far more control than offered by Windows) and the nerd demo is growing quickly (rather than just being a computer for effete designer pinkos).
No - it doesn't, in terms of advanced Office usage. Macs have a terrible version of Microsoft Excel. It doesn't even have macros. The keyboard shortcuts suck. It is a joke. Also, anyone who uses a computer for work knows that the keyboard is an infinitely faster method of navigating forms, pages, and especially the windows explorer (folders, etc.). The designers of OSX figured that the most useful application for the "enter" key when browsing folders, is (wait for it)...to rename a folder or file. Really? Enter = rename? This makes it impossible to go through folders and files quickly, as I have to press two separate buttons with two hands (alt+o or something) to even open a ******* folder. It's a joke. Next issue: Maximizing windows. Again, Mac OSX subscribes to the attitude of "We are Apple geniuses, you are an idiot user, so let us simplify the world for you. What's that, you want a choice in how your OS works? Sorry, you are an idiot remember? Just drink the kool-aid and slowly step back, and nobody gets hurt." OSX does not allow you to maximize a window with one-click in most situations. I want to maximize my goddamn internet window. I don't care if the Apple designers figured "I didn't need the whole screen." At least make it a goddamn option in the user settings, you ******* Nazis. Look, I actually gave Macs a shot. I bought the MacBook because I did not want to be a stupid PC-loving Mac-hater. I tried it for nearly two months. It just didn't work out for me. For a less advanced, point-and-click user, it might.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TJS1589
I was a PC user my whole life. 2 years ago i switched to Mac. Never shall I go back to PC. Macs just run better and smoother end of story. I work in a comp. lab every now and then and work with both during the day, and can vouch that the PC's seem to just freeze or crash or something happens to screw up, where Macs just work. I can get Macs in and out of the lab in no time where PC's take forever. But I will agree Mac's prices are jacked and I hate it.

Well, I'd talk to your IT guys. I run a network with nothing but PCs and the computers never get turned-off and are rarely rebooted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads