• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it worth buying 1 expensive watch?

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommboy
Will it be worth buying 1 expensive watch such as Omega, or Cartier for 1500-2000? My other option is to buy 2 or 3 watches for under 1000. From such places as Hugo Boss, GUESS etc. Currently I already have 2 inexpensive watches 200-350 that are really nice but seem to wear fast. ( I do wear them all the time). My only thinking is that if I buy a more expensive watch it won't look worn out as fast and last me way longer. Is it worth going up in price when I could be getting a few cool watches for much cheaper. I'm not sure the average eye would know the difference between the two.

Get the Omega or Cartier. Boss, Guess and those fashion watches are junk and will tell people that actually look at watches that you have no sense of style.

sfo423

Reaction score
LL watches lose value, some less than others. Buy used for many reasons; money buys more, you'll likely want to sell it because you want something else, etc.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot understand how anyone could spend $40+ on a Quartz watch...

sfo423

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I cannot understand how anyone could spend $40+ on a Quartz watch...

+1

OP needs to set budget then figure out if he wants a dive watch (i.e. Seamaster, Submariner) or a dress watch (Glashutte Sentor, IWC Portuguese) or aviator (Speedmaster, IWC big pilot).

I think the certain dive watches are most versatile. Second is an aviator.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
A mobile phone designed as a classic pocket watch, now that I would like to see...
wink.gif

I downloaded the "Emerald Chronometer" app for my iPhone and enjoy looking at the different watches. Otherwise, I wear a silver/black tank-style Swiss Army quartz 23.5 hours a day that I got as a birthday present in '99. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses so I love how the hands glow in the dark so I can read the time in the middle of the night. I want to upgrade to a Stowa automatic but that'll have to wait.

michaelp123

Reaction score
I bought an Omega Seamaster automatic about 10 years ago, still running strong. Never had to have it serviced, continues to look great.. and I haven't exactly been gentle with it. I can easily see it lasting a lifetime, if not longer. On the other hand I also have a vice for constantly buying cheap watches... but they never have the staying power of the Omega. If you're going to shell out some good cash for a nice watch, get something timeless and classy.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelp123
I bought an Omega Seamaster automatic about 10 years ago, still running strong. Never had to have it serviced, continues to look great.. and I haven't exactly been gentle with it. I can easily see it lasting a lifetime, if not longer. On the other hand I also have a vice for constantly buying cheap watches... but they never have the staying power of the Omega. If you're going to shell out some good cash for a nice watch, get something timeless and classy.

You should probably have your Omega serviced soon if you want it to last a lifetime. Co-axial movements don't have to be serviced as often though.

borderline

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend getting a few inexpensive watches first. You will appreciate having options, and over the first year or two you will gravitate to one style. Then you can get an expensive one in the style that you like the best.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
I would definitely recommend getting a few inexpensive watches first. You will appreciate having options, and over the first year or two you will gravitate to one style. Then you can get an expensive one in the style that you like the best.

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. I'm planning to get one or two watches in the $100-$300 range and see how I like them. Maybe I will even find out that I don't want to get an expensive watch after all.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFedora
good god, 250-300 is INEXEPENSIVE to you?

my

Well, considering that's about 1/10 to one 1/20 the price of a Rolex or Omega, I'd say yes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
You should probably have your Omega serviced soon if you want it to last a lifetime. Co-axial movements don't have to be serviced as often though.
+1 Service it every 3-5 years.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Worth it in terms of what? It's a luxury item, only worth the satisfaction it brings you or the resale value if that's important to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads