• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it worth buying 1 expensive watch?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
If you are going for the expensive one, make sure it is an Automatic (winds itself due to the movement of your wrist), and steer completely clear of anything Quartz.
Are you sure? A quartz is definately more reliable and would make a good everyday watch.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Are you sure? A quartz is definately more reliable and would make a good everyday watch.
+1, automatics aren't for everyone. I had many autos from Rolex, Omega, and Breitling...but I've sold them all (not because they were autos, but nonetheless) and I currently wear a Breitling Colt Chrono Quartz. I don't wear a watch in the house, so having to wind my auto's often didn't make sense to me, plus they are more fragile and require more lengthy maintanance down the road. Plus the battery in my Breit is good for 8+ years
tounge.gif
P1010053-1.jpg
P1010055-1.jpg

B. R.

Reaction score
If you're asking this question, then you are not a watch enthusiast imo, and therefore the demands of getting an automatic are questionable. I absolutely love watches, and therefore go for automatics due to the history, craftsmanship, and sheer luxury of their movement, but they do require more attention. Also keep in mind that quartz watches have a lower resale value and tend to be harder to sell. Bonhams and Butterfields does a yearly watch auction that is worth keeping your eyes on for some great pieces, but notice how few-to-none of the watches are quartz...

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
There are some very classic watches for $200-$500, but most of them are vintage. If I see someone wearing an older solid gold Hamilton Masterpiece, Universal Geneve Polerouter, or Angelus Chrono, I'll think more of that person than a guy with his $4K Cartier. Cartier is not a watch manufacturer (in design yes, but not in mechanical engineering).

Best bang for the buck can be had with discounted Omega, Girard Perregaux, and on accasions, Zenith (the only manufacturer among these). GP, similar to IWC, buy based movement ebauches and embellish them without basic fundamental improvements to design of the whole.

turk100

Reaction score
Quartz watches do not hold their value at all. I many cases owning a Rolex or other highend watches is literally an investment. Many of these watches can and will fetch a 100% return on the initial investment years later. I personally own two RED rolexes that are worth 5 times what I paid for them because of their rarity.So, owning a automatic highend watch is a great investment and still look good , infact they look classic.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turk100
Quartz watches do not hold their value at all. I many cases owning a Rolex or other highend watches is literally an investment. Many of these watches can and will fetch a 100% return on the initial investment years later. I personally own two RED rolexes that are worth 5 times what I paid for them because of their rarity.So, owning a automatic highend watch is a great investment and still look good , infact they look classic.

Wrong. Most watches, even high end watches, will lose value over time. There are exceptions, but the vast majority of watches will lose value.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
Wrong. Most watches, even high end watches, will lose value over time. There are exceptions, but the vast majority of watches will lose value.
Most watch collectors will tell you to choose quality over quantity any day of the week. My advice is buy one good verstatile watch. One that can be worn with jeans or suits. One that is waterproof and has a sapphire crystal. I also recommend one that allows you to change straps easily. Putting on a different strap always makes you feel like you got a new watch.
bounce2.gif
Oh, and don't buy a watch solely as an investment.....buy it to enjoy. If you enjoy watch collecting how much it's worth shouldn't matter.

delayedReaction

Reaction score
Watches aren't an investment, no matter what the Rolex marketing department would like you to believe. You should buy a watch because you love it, not because someone told you to, or because of what other people think of it.

A $40 Timex will keep time better than a $2,000 Omega (or a $20,000 Patek), but that's not the point of a high end watch. A mechanical watch is more on the order of appreciating beautifully crafted clothing. A $4,000 suit will only resell for relatively low percentage of its retail cost on the Bids and Sales forum here on SF, much in the same way that a $4,000 Omega/Girard Perregaux/whatever will on Timezone's Sale Corner. (Granted there isn't the watch equivalent of RLPLs at Woodbury prices, but ignore that exception.)

As far as features, there are some things like a sapphire crystal that are just a baseline mark of quality, much like buying Goodyear welted/Blake Stitched/etc shoes and shouldn't be considered optional. My personal preference is for an automatic watch with a display case back because I like seeing the movement, and would much rather have 1 better watch (or pair of shoes), than 3 fashion watches/shoes, but you should just look around on the various manufacturer's websites, or vintage forums and see if there's something that you fall in love with.

Otherwise, what's the point?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
At that budget level, use your cell phone for the time and buy clothes with the money.
This is just a sneaky way of advocating the return of the pocket watch.
wink.gif

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
This is just a sneaky way of advocating the return of the pocket watch.
wink.gif

A mobile phone designed as a classic pocket watch, now that I would like to see...
wink.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
Best bang for the buck can be had with discounted Omega, Girard Perregaux, and on accasions, Zenith (the only manufacturer among these). GP, similar to IWC, buy based movement ebauches and embellish them without basic fundamental improvements to design of the whole.

GP manufactures their own movements. A few of the entry chronographs will use a generic movement, but all of their mid-tier and complicated pieces are designed in house.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of crap from Hugo Boss or Guess you could probably get a few nice cheap vintage watches for the same price; good watches don't have to be expensive (not to be better than ****** fashion watches anyway)...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a watch person, but like something nice-looking on my wrist, so am similar to the OP in outlook in this regard.

My advice from that perspective is that you will find you need more than one watch in time, esp. if you enjoy new looks rather than repeating outfits often. For your budget, getting a few aestheticially-pleasing watches sounds more useful to you than one expensive one. I would say that you should understand that by doing so, you run the risk that each individual watch is not particularly "worth it" but overall the package of purchases may give you a more useful selection.

If you are very consistent in what you wear, you might prefer a single, more expensive watch just for the luxury of it.

Re: investments - my limited understanding is that most watches lose money over time, and certainly once you take inflation into account and most definitely once you take into account the appreciation that the money would have had if invested elsewhere. So don't buy watches as an investment. There are some exceptions but they are relatively rare.

Re: quartz vs. automatic - this is very personal, since it is totally about what watches mean to you. If you want precision, durability and not to have to think twice, get a quartz. If you want something a bit luxurious/decadent and that pretty sweeping second hand, get an automatic but be aware it will need a bit of servicing some years down the line. Be aware that if you don't wear a particular automatic regularly, the winding up before wearing will annoy you.

My personal watch story is I had cheap Casio digitals as a kid and even in college, and then switched to a Seamaster Professional Quartz afterwards. Then a bit later I felt I needed something dressier, and got a Longines Conquest Automatic. I recently picked up a cheap non-name pocket watch just for kicks.

I slightly regret getting the quartz Seamaster as my tastes have changed over the years and if I had the time over I would have got the automatic version. I'm thinking about getting an Aqua Terra Co-Axial but probably won't bother selling the quartz seamaster because frankly, I'd prefer the versatility of the extra watch than the limited funds I'd get back.

single speed

Reaction score
anyone had any expirience with tsovet time intsruments? they fall in the 500$ range. i've been contemplating on purchasing the SVT-AT76 model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics