• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I actually was looking for someone in Australia that would help me buy a lamp..
I can haz PM?

It's a Hill's Hoist mate, not a lamp!
smile.gif

misterjase

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I actually was looking for someone in Australia that would help me buy a lamp. I can haz PM?
I suggest you put a finger into a powerpoint and you will have yourself a lamp.

Tardek

Reaction score
I also have great difficulty finding suitable ties. If anyone's found a way to break the drought of $10 ties selling for $50, let me know.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
I also have great difficulty finding suitable ties. If anyone's found a way to break the drought of $10 ties selling for $50, let me know.

Since we're talking of the Australian clothing scene, don't you mean $50 ties selling for $150??

Tardek

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen that as well. It vexes me.

The thing is that a quality producer or importer could come in, undercut all the crap, and still make a killing. I don't understand why it doesn't happen.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
Yes, I've seen that as well. It vexes me.

The thing is that a quality producer or importer could come in, undercut all the crap, and still make a killing. I don't understand why it doesn't happen.

That vexes me about shirts in Australia, too.
It is ridiculous that - at a time when places like TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt are selling reasonably-made shirts for about AUD$50 or less per shirt, it is impossible to get similar dress shirts in Australia for under $150. Most places nowadays charge $180, $190, even $200 for stuff that is quite mediocre.

I can only assume that the reason that no-one comes in and undercuts the market is because there is no real incentive to do so. If people are willing to purchase your Egyptian- or Pakistani-made shirts for $200 and you can sell reasonable numbers at that price point, there is no real incentive to sell them for $100. To make the same nett profit, you would have to sell twice as many shirts at the $100 price point than you would at the $200 price point.

Also, I strongly suspect that most Australian consumers still correlate price with quality, and that they are ignorant about the actual features and construction of shirts or ties.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not think that Australian consumers are any more ignorant than the 'average' consumer out there.

The simple truth is that with our climate and relatively small cities, we simply do not have the market for it. There is also that small problem with culture.

Tardek

Reaction score
I did source one Brioni store in Melbourne for shirting needs. I'm not 100% about what the pricing there is like though, nor am I fond of the prospect of hitting Melbourne up every time I want a new shirt - or at all, just based on principle.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
That vexes me about shirts in Australia, too.
It is ridiculous that - at a time when places like TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt are selling reasonably-made shirts for about AUD$50 or less per shirt, it is impossible to get similar dress shirts in Australia for under $150. Most places nowadays charge $180, $190, even $200 for stuff that is quite mediocre.

I can only assume that the reason that no-one comes in and undercuts the market is because there is no real incentive to do so. If people are willing to purchase your Egyptian- or Pakistani-made shirts for $200 and you can sell reasonable numbers at that price point, there is no real incentive to sell them for $100. To make the same nett profit, you would have to sell twice as many shirts at the $100 price point than you would at the $200 price point.

Also, I strongly suspect that most Australian consumers still correlate price with quality, and that they are ignorant about the actual features and construction of shirts or ties.

All of the above ...amazing how poor the shirts are in Australia and the price. Mastai Ferrettis are no longer sold at Myer after the buy out.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FFS!

FWIW a bespoke shirt in Thomas Mason in Sydney by either Herringbone or JH Cutler is about the same price as I have been quoted here in HKG.

Then you get people on this forum that complain about Jantzen when they are only about AU$50!!!

All the suits I have bought from Herringbone in the last 6 months have been out standing considering they are on average between AU$1100 & AU$1500, try getting the same workmanship & fabric OS.. Not going to happen.

Cutler's bespoke suits are also very well priced.

Sorry guys, but this just ticks me off.. There is more tyre kicking than actual experience & it shows.

Rant over.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
FFS! FWIW a bespoke shirt in Thomas Mason in Sydney by either Herringbone or JH Cutler is about the same price as I have been quoted here in HKG. Then you get people on this forum that complain about Jantzen when they are only about AU$50!!! All the suits I have bought from Herringbone in the last 6 months have been out standing considering they are on average between AU$1100 & AU$1500, try getting the same workmanship & fabric OS.. Not going to happen. Cutler's bespoke suits are also very well priced. Sorry guys, but this just ticks me off.. There is more tyre kicking than actual experience & it shows. Rant over.
1. What's that - AUD$200 per shirt for TM Silverline? Even higher? The posters are not talking upper-end, they are talking about TM Lewin, and the lack of 'entry level' decent shirting. Our 'TM Lewin' is Country Road, and their shirts are of poorer quality and cost more relative to TM Lewin. Van Heusens are breaking the AU$110 barrier in DJs, and are considered 'good'. Tyrwhitt in DJs is apparently 'the cat's meow', according to the (older, female) SA I spoke with. Shirts from Roger David are >AU$120 routinely, and some are cotton/polyester. Politix? Try >$150 shirts that will make you look just like a Latino gangsta. That's the situation we're dealing with on the ground. 2. LOL - sure, for $50 what sort of fabric do you get from Jantzen? You're also not taking into account that MTM online is a crapshoot at best - for fit, for fabric, for everything. And we haven't even taken into account shipping times. Or lead times, which as so many here on the forum have shown, can be pretty variable. And $50 may be nothing to you, but consider that it's 10% of a handgrade C&J.
sarcasm.gif
3. Yes, we get the point. Your Herringbone suits fit great. Hoo-*******-ray. The Herringbone house style isn't for everyone. And buy a suit from a company that is going out of business? Sounds like a great idea.
rolleyes.gif
And that blanket statement regarding 'all overseas suits'? Wow.
musicboohoo[1].gif
No comment re: Cutler bespoke suits. Were we even talking about suits before you brought it up?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snarks Ready...

Fire!

I have to go and agree with PG here - Herringbone shirts are TM (the OTR stuff as well, I've heard) and good quality. The Herringbone suits are a massive, massive steal for what you get - the roll on those lapels is beautiful. I only wish that I had started my tailoring push earlier.

I think Jantzen is insane - 60 AUD for a fully customizable MTM service. Look what PG did for a collar as an example. For fit just send them a shirt that you have that fits well. Sure the fabric isnt great, but its 60 bucks and fully customizable. More disposable shirts. Not all your shirts need to be Alumo quality, I think it's a good idea to have 50/50 between ones that are fantastic quality and ones you can actually work in.

As an aside, were close to WW Chan, and people have had a great experience with them. I'm going to at end of this year, when I've lost the weight. Get your shoes from pediwear.uk or plal.com.

Ties online.

Whats wrong with eBay? Pay less than 1/3 for things. I don't see how that is bad.

Solved.

PG, with your special collars, did you go for the italian spread with roll? How did you get them to do it?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
More disposable shirts. Not all your shirts need to be Alumo quality, I think it's a good idea to have 50/50 between ones that are fantastic quality and ones you can actually work in.

PG, with your special collars, did you go for the italian spread with roll? How did you get them to do it?

- My collars are made & sized for me, so yes there I do like the Italian spread with roll - the trick is to make sure the points do not go past your collar bone & to have the plastic collar bones cut shorter..
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads