• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit jacket etiquette?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I am going to a work function. It will be a buffet style dinner/cocktail/dance type of thing in the evening in a pretty swanky place. Can I keep my suit jacket on the whole night if it's not too hot, or am I supposed to take it off?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd keep mine on. Wear a lighter weight suit.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Is there a social situation where you're supposed to actually take your jacket off? I wasn't aware that there was.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Is there a social situation where you're supposed to actually take your jacket off? I wasn't aware that there was.

Royal Navy mess diners - after port and coffee, the gathering usually devolves to a scratch game of touch rugby using the most junior officer's rolled-up jacket as the 'ball'. Other participants are permitted to remove their own jackets and play on shirt sleeves.
smile.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep your jacket on. If you get warm, keep it on. If every other yahoo in the place takes his off and puts it on the back of his chair ... keep it on.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I am going to a work function. It will be a buffet style dinner/cocktail/dance type of thing in the evening in a pretty swanky place. Can I keep my suit jacket on the whole night if it's not too hot, or am I supposed to take it off?
While the status of the HVAC can make this difficult, you are supposed to keep it on, comfort not withstanding.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Alright, awesome. Am I supposed to ever take a suit jacket off at any place? If I am sitting, should I take it off so as not to wrinkle it?

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Am I supposed to ever take a suit jacket off at any place? If I am sitting, should I take it off so as not to wrinkle it?

No to both. Keep the jacket on.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by larsrindsig
No to both. Keep the jacket on.

Wow, I did not know this. Thanks all.

So, to clarify, even if I am dancing and sweating like a pig I should not take the jacket off? What about whilst sitting in a car? Can I keep it off then?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in the car is ok to remove it, as is in the shower.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, awesome. Am I supposed to ever take a suit jacket off at any place? If I am sitting, should I take it off so as not to wrinkle it?
Negative. You are supposed to leave it on until you get home at the end of the evening.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I did not know this. Thanks all.

So, to clarify, even if I am dancing and sweating like a pig I should not take the jacket off? What about whilst sitting in a car? Can I keep it off then?

Dude. There are no "rules." No one is going to castrate you for taking it off (not even us). If you want to take off, go ahead. Perhaps the preference is to keep it on the whole night by "people in the know." I personally like the look of having the jacket, and don't like the tie without jacket look (looks high school to me). But if I were dancing, and I got hot, I might take it off, weighing the fact that I rather have people see me sweating in my shirt rather than me sweating profusely in my $1000 jacket.

Here's a tip, if you're concerned about doing the "right thing" style wise. Look around what other dudes are doing, and do the exact opposite, and you'll be just fine.

spatten

Reaction score
I keep my jacket on, unless I'm dancing. The unfortunate truth is that most jackets are tailored for men having their arms down, and bunch up terribly when dancing in frame. In that case I think it's better to take the jacket off.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Here's a tip, if you're concerned about doing the "right thing" style wise. Look around what other dudes are doing, and do the exact opposite, and you'll be just fine.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads