• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks Cutting 1,100 Jobs

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Saks is cutting 1,100 jobs and yesterday NM announced about 350 being cut.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a jacket there last month and I was asking the sales guy how business was, he said they were down by 80%.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that why Ty went missing? I was told he "quit."

confused.gif
frown.gif

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Saks is cutting 1,100 jobs and yesterday NM announced about 350 being cut.

NM's 350 are almost all Retail employees

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang, there goes my plan to be part-timer so I can advantage of employee discounts.
frown.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
NM's 350 are almost all Retail employees

Yes mostly in cosmetics too.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood why there's always so many employees in the cosmetic section and fewer in the clothing. Seems like all the cosmetic people do is try to spray some damn fragrance on me.

I always have to give them dirty looks.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
They didn't break out retail/corporate job cuts in the article but I'm surprised (maybe naively) that they can shrink 9% without closing stores.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I never understood why there's always so many employees in the cosmetic section and fewer in the clothing. Seems like all the cosmetic people do is try to spray some damn fragrance on me.

I always have to give them dirty looks.

Maybe they have a higher profit margin, and it takes a team of people to push that crap on people. I view fragrance as something that doesn't occur to someone as something to go buy with any regular frequency, thus the added need to push it on you.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
It just looks like a lot of people because the cosmetics section is so cramped. I mean there technically is alot of people, but it's because it's divided up into many smaller depts, usually by brand. ie estee lauder will have a couple employees, then bobbi brown or w/e. usually each of the smaller depts have 1-3 emps, which makes sense because they have appointments and stuff and to sell their product usually means applying it on their customer, and teaching them how and what to use. In other departments, their sales people generally are just there to ring you up, or grab an item from the stockroom.

Honestly tho these companies go the dumb route out. They always cut the employees on the bottom of the food chain. Which means cashiers, temps, stock workers, and sales. These workers usually get min wage, or slightly higher than min wage. The sales people work off commission. Cutting a sales job saves them very little money, since they get paid on what they sell, even if business is slow it's not like your paying them a salary to be there. If they sell nothing, they don't get paid. Well usually it works on a system where if you sell more than slightly more than min wage you get paid on pure commission. if you sell less you get paid that amount slightly more than min wage. All that happens is the service gets worse, then people who do spend money during these hard times go there, get crap service then refuse to go back.

tongue.gif
i used to work retail at these stores. but school pays more and work with my school schedule
smile.gif

Start by cutting salaried jobs that do little for the company. For example, how many times have you been to a store and seen merchandise that is way overpriced. I mean something 99% of the population will never buy just because it's so outrageously ugly, and priced at a high price. Even when on clearance at 80% off people don't want it. If the buyers are going to be dumb lay them off, and hire people with common sense. Cut some of the managers out. Like a department of 9 people, has 3 assistant managers and a dept manager. thats overkill, since their job responsibility entails scheduling the employees, and pretending to work. Sitting in the back calling each other and planning what to do for the weekend, or deciding which ipod to buy does very little for the company yet they are salaried.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one of the worst SAs attend to me in the SF Saks (first floor of the men's store - a female, in her 50s, looked to be of middle eastern descent), in December. Even when it was obvious that I was ready to make a purchase, she made me wait while she ran an errand and then rung up the purchase as if I were imposing on her day. If I knew that big layoffs were coming, I would be kissing the ass of every customer there was 1 ) in hope of ringing up big sales, so that it reflects on my report, and 2) in hope that customer feedback might make it back to my manager/HQ.

I considered filing a complaint, but decided that it might be bad karma.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do sales people at Saks and NM make on average? I've always wondered why they have so much attitude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads