• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
I noticed alot of the good colors in TM Lewin's Windsor Slim Fit are sold out (for my size anyway). Anyone know how often they tend to restock this stuff?

You could send them an email...
smile.gif

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
You could send them an email...
smile.gif

Tried that a few days ago, still no response. Maybe they don't talk to Yanks.
laugh.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
Tried that a few days ago, still no response. Maybe they don't talk to Yanks.
laugh.gif

No they do. I have been emailing them and receiving responses regularly.

randomusername

Reaction score
I've bought some J. Crew button-ups but I'm not finding the collars big enough. Does anyone know of some with bigger collars? I like BR's but they don't have collar buttons which I'm not too into.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomusername
I've bought some J. Crew button-ups but I'm not finding the collars big enough. Does anyone know of some with bigger collars? I like BR's but they don't have collar buttons which I'm not too into.

I have also tried to find such specifics in fashion brands but have not been able to. Most fashion brands have flimsy collars.

Have you tried Jantzen?

randomusername

Reaction score
I have also tried to find such specifics in fashion brands but have not been able to. Most fashion brands have flimsy collars.

Have you tried Jantzen?

Nah, haven't tried that yet. They do MTM, right? Anyhow, maybe Brooks Brothers/RL Rugby has something with a bigger collar?

inmytree14

Reaction score
So probably a stupid question, but picked up a few of the TM Lewin slim fit Windsor collar shirts. I've never bought a shirt with this kind of collar before and the spread is wider than I'm used to. Obviously a Windsor knot would work, but is there anything else I can try as well? Is a half Windsor too small in that spread? Do people wear it sans tie, open at the collar ever, or does this look strange? Still love the shirts - fabric rocks, and the fit is slim without being too modernly 'skinny'

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inmytree14
So probably a stupid question, but picked up a few of the TM Lewin slim fit Windsor collar shirts. I've never bought a shirt with this kind of collar before and the spread is wider than I'm used to. Obviously a Windsor knot would work, but is there anything else I can try as well? Is a half Windsor too small in that spread? Do people wear it sans tie, open at the collar ever, or does this look strange? Still love the shirts - fabric rocks, and the fit is slim without being too modernly 'skinny'

I find a 4 in hand to work best on wider spreads. Bigger knots makes wider collars look smaller in proportion. But it's a matter of preference.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can wear pretty much any knot with a spread collar because there is more room. With the narrower collars such as those that are pointed larger knots won't fit and will look disproportional.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I think you can wear pretty much any knot with a spread collar because there is more room. With the narrower collars such as those that are pointed larger knots won't fit and will look disproportional.

Can you even wear a full Windsor with a spread collar?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Black Fleece shirts any slimmer than RL Rugby ones? I know the BB BF stuff is probably made better, but I just want cheap, slim shirts.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you even wear a full Windsor with a spread collar?

I don't see why not since its a fuller knot and needs a wider collar to accommodate it. It's not for everyone though, I prefer a FIH or a 1/2W

sjg22

Reaction score
For slim fit shirts, I buy most of my day-to-day work shirts from the 'Windsor Slim Fit' line from T.M. Lewin. These shirts are incredibly cheap (4 for 100 pounds) and they are of decent quality (particularly when new; they are certainly no worse in terms of initial appearance to Zegna). They don't last particularly long and so I tend to replace them every two years or so, but at that price, that is a small issue. They fit very well right out of the box and have nearly a cutaway collar, which I really like and have a hard time finding in North America.

My other suggestion would be to buy a shirt that fits in the neck and is something you like and take it to a good tailor to have it fitted exactly. This is what I do for the other shirts I buy; I find Armani, Zegna and others of that ilk tend to be a bit baggy on me but can easily be made to fit absolutely perfectly by my tailor Tam.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjg22
For slim fit shirts, I buy most of my day-to-day work shirts from the 'Windsor Slim Fit' line from T.M. Lewin. These shirts are incredibly cheap (4 for 100 pounds) and they are of decent quality (particularly when new; they are certainly no worse in terms of initial appearance to Zegna).
I like my TM Lewins as well.

Originally Posted by sjg22
My other suggestion would be to buy a shirt that fits in the neck and is something you like and take it to a good tailor to have it fitted exactly. This is what I do for the other shirts I buy; I find Armani, Zegna and others of that ilk tend to be a bit baggy on me but can easily be made to fit absolutely perfectly by my tailor Tam.
That's exactly what I do too. It's good to buy a shirt that fit in the neck and shoulders and have a tailor alter the rest. It makes a world of difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads