• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Home DJ's

oceans11

Reaction score
I'm wondering which DJ mixing software is the easiest to learn & most compatible with iTunes (Mac). I'm not talking about sound or board mixing or professional mixing like on a movie or video, just DJ mixing, beat matching for seemless musical mixes.

I use to have 2 Denon 3500's & a Rane mixer but sold them about a year & 1/2 ago & want to get back into pure mixing just for fun & making my own continious mixes. I really don't need any scratch capabilities, beat juggling & all that. Just something that can make seemless mixes on the fly, with maybe some simple effects.

So for you home DJ's or even mobile or club DJ's as well what's a good starter software for doing all this?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my software solution for home DJing:

Blue1200.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ableton + Adobe Audition.

So....r u da next GrlTalk?!?!

oceans11

Reaction score
NICE!!!! Thanks for the input guys! I'll check both out tonight.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Here is my software solution for home DJing:

Blue1200.gif

I know, I know I hear ya my man!! There's no replacement for the tried & true analog & if i was a serious DJ or had the dough I would definitely go that route but like many of us I had a decent size CD collection & went the CDJ player route & now since tech is getting better & my passions are still just for kicks & giggles I want to go with something a little less hardware laden then lets say a Final Scratch route hooked up to a macbook.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Ableton + Adobe Audition.

So....r u da next GrlTalk?!?!

lol8[1].gif

No not quite my brutha I just wanted something creative to do while winding down from work.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soulwax, Justice, DJ Falcon and I think Busy P all use Abelton live.

I think that is as good as it gets...... Look no farther

I agree with getting an audio editor also... wavelab, audition, etc...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brettchaotix has a pretty cool setup, i Know he used to DJ some club nights and might got back to it...

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Brettchaotix has a pretty cool setup, i Know he used to DJ some club nights and might got back to it...

Abelton is pretty cool for creating your own music by combining loops, beats, etc... but I've never liked it for straight song mixing. It's got a ***** of a learning curve but once you get over it, it's a lot of fun to use!

My personal preference for straight "DJ mixing" is Native Instrument's Traktor. It has a more intuitive interface for someone who is used to records and a mixer.

I use it with an Echo Audio Indigo soundcard that has two outputs. I assign one to "house mix" and run that line out to the PA system and the second output to my headphones so I can "cue" just like you would traditionally.

I also use an M-Audio midi interface (well, they call it a midi interface but it's actually a USB interface). This one is a little fancier than what I use but you get the idea. The cool thing about traktor is that you can assign ANY traktor command/button/dial/switch to ANY botton or dial on the mixer. It's 100% customizable. For example, my USB mixer has 2 faders per channel. One is for volume (with a dial for gain) and the other is for pitch (with a dial for fine-tune pitch).

Whole package was cheap when you consider the cost of traditional DJ equipment:
Traktor: free (thanks bittorrent)
USB Mixer: $150
Laptop/PC: can be cheap, I've run it on a PIII with 512MB of memory.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Abelton is pretty cool for creating your own music by combining loops, beats, etc... but I've never liked it for straight song mixing. It's got a ***** of a learning curve but once you get over it, it's a lot of fun to use!

My personal preference for straight "DJ mixing" is Native Instrument's Traktor. It has a more intuitive interface for someone who is used to records and a mixer.

You know, you can just press 'merge' and the two tracks will fade into each other - that's probably the most important point of critique; it's just too easy.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
You know, you can just press 'merge' and the two tracks will fade into each other - that's probably the most important point of critique; it's just too easy.

Auto-fades rarely work well if the songs aren't really similar in tempo. I don't DJ dance music that has steady bass so it auto-fades usually blow up in my face. For example, in one set I'd play:

Do The Whirlwind - Architecture in Helsinki
The Warning - Hot Chip
Peter Bjorn & John - The Chills
Her Space Holiday - Tech Romance
The Libertines - What Became Of The Likely Lads
We Are Scientists - After Hours
Clash - Lost In The Supermarket

Ok, so maybe not in that order but you see what I'm saying - an auto-fade could never do that correctly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads