• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you enjoy being married?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
So essentially your life is about nothing but sex?
No.
I think he's too busy lovin' himself to have any time left over for women.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No.

Valid point.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Think of all the great men in history, that had their seminal moments prior to turning 30.
A famous exception is Caesar.

I am pretty surprised by how many people in this thread equate a stable long-term relationship with the legal and social institution of marriage. You don't need the latter to have the former.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^obviously haven't made it all the way through Maslow, huh?

So essentially your life is about nothing but sex?

No.

Valid point.

No not at all. I can see how this comes off reading it over again; it does sound very immature.

All I really meant to say is that I don't want to voluntarily place myself in a position where someone can tell me what to do - there are too many situations like that in life that you simply have no option to avoid (job, mortgage) anyhow. Any relationship, especially marriage, places you at the beck of your mate to some extent - why not avoid that?

My life is clearly not all about sex either - I made that clear intitially. I make no effort in that regard anymore.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I am pretty surprised by how many people in this thread equate a stable long-term relationship with the legal and social institution of marriage. You don't need the latter to have the former.
Perhaps not, but it calls into question your willingness to weather the difficult times in the former if you are unwilling to make the public commitment of the latter.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Perhaps not, but it calls into question your willingness to weather the difficult times in the former if you are unwilling to make the public commitment of the latter.

One of my points - why should you have to weather the difficult times if you don't want to? There's nothing the matter with trying to have your cake and eat it too; its just that few are lucky/smart enough to do so. I realize the rocky times are charcter building, but so are plenty of other things in life. Get your character lessons from something easier to walk away from.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Rube had you covered. You will find that living life to please only yourself is empty and unfulfilling and ultimately self-defeating. If you are fortunate, you will find that sooner rather than later.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i love being married to my wife. read carefully, i said being married to my wife, not "married"

marriage is alot of strife, trouble, sacrifice, and you have to stop accounting everything or else you will kill yourself.

but i enjoy being married to my sweet wife. my best friend . buddy. i love her.

Sir, you have my envy. One day I intend to be you.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love being married! (Just in case my wife reads this post)

It really has made my life more pleasant and fulfilling - I also just love hanging out with her.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who are happy rarely go on about how happy they are. People who are unhappy will often let you know about it though.

I can't wait to get married. I'd recommend waiting until about 27 before doing so. After you've met so many people and had some many casual relationships through acquaintances, work, etc. It's pretty amazing to have one person you can always go back to that you can love and trust. In the end you're wife will be your best friend, not every moment needs to be out of a cheesy movie.

Don't rush into it but that is all relative. When you aren't wondering how your life could be different you'll know you're ready.

Nothing is perfect. Your friends, your parents, whoever, you'll always argue with them sometimes and things won't always be a bed of roses with your wife. Marriage is hard work but so is life! I heard about a study on the radio where it said kids who witnessed their parents arguing had a much lower divorce rate, makes sense to me. I think a lot of people who go off on never getting marriage expect too much out of life or fail to appreciate the little things.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
No, I don't enjoy being married. Probably becasue I've been married so long, 24 years!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne

That's what I say!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what leads you to believe there is a wealth of women out there dying to ******** with the single you?

Originally Posted by The Louche
No not at all. I can see how this comes off reading it over again; it does sound very immature.

All I really meant to say is that I don't want to voluntarily place myself in a position where someone can tell me what to do - there are too many situations like that in life that you simply have no option to avoid (job, mortgage) anyhow. Any relationship, especially marriage, places you at the beck of your mate to some extent - why not avoid that?

My life is clearly not all about sex either - I made that clear intitially. I make no effort in that regard anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics