• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you enjoy being married?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsp22
...I am not one for long sessions at the marraige therapist/counselling office if thats what you mean...
No, that's not what I was suggesting. I am not a big fan of marriage counselors.

It's just that I spent several years in a marriage that started out wonderfully, but regressed to "roommate" status and then to dissolution. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'd rather be divorced than repeat that experience, as would, I'm sure, my ex-wife.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsp22
I know there are many, many men and women just like me stuck in marraiges that never admit it publically for all the obvious reasons.

Sadly, this is what I suspect for a lot of people. My friend, who was madly in love with his girl and they got married about 4 years ago, is always annoyed at her these days, and always sneaking away to look at Appreciation. When I ask him, he would never admit to making a mistake, in general I believe married couples think it is better to pretend everything is great, until that point they decide they would prefer a divorce. Especially if kids are involved.

Thoughts?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
...married couples think it is better to pretend everything is great, until that point they decide they would prefer a divorce. Especially if kids are involved.

Thoughts?

It is very difficult to pretend things are okay when your heart and soul are hurting.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For me "marrying age" starts around where college ends
The problem for me was that when I graduated college my future wife wasn't born yet.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
It is very difficult to pretend things are okay when your heart and soul are hurting.

My response wasn't referring to you. But, when people asked you, you never responded that "everything is great" during the decline of the marriage?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we really never fight, or so seldom that it would be hard to quantify it - a couple of times a year? probrably less. the sex isn't as frequent as I'd like, but aside from that really it couldn't be better. I really feel badly for people who are misrable in their family life.

gilwood

Reaction score
Divorced now, but it was good while it lasted. Make sure to choose wisely. The divorce experience is enough to make you hate all women.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
The problem for me was that when I graduated college my future wife wasn't born yet.

Neither was mine...
smile.gif

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
To know me is to love me.

Thats a relatively deep, yet tongue-in-cheek comment, but I was being serious.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did while it lasted. Well, at least I thought so. Wait. Actually I am not that sure
eh.gif

tounge.gif

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only 26 but I don't think I could ever enjoy being married. If you are in love with someone you're dating thats fantastic; you spend time with them on your own volition and enjoy it. If you didn't enjoy it you would stop dating. When you get married you become legally obliged to spend time with someone. All of the sudden it goes from something that you willing do to something that you have to do (even if you coincidentally enjoy it). Not to mention the financial obligation that having a bunch of kids brings. I'd rather have the option to retire early and spend my time doing things I wanted to do - rather than sitting at some job that I hate, reading internet boards all day just so I can pay for tuitions rather than beefing-up my portfolio.

I used to date a lot of girls when I was in college. I've had sex with many more women than most. I was even in love once. But I don't even try to chase skirt, let alone steadily date anyone anymore. Every girl my age just wants to get married anyhow so I see no utility in dating. And sport ******* requires effort and an appetite for risk that I don't have. All of these crazy ideas of mine male sense every time I hang-put with the girl I was once in love with (still friends). I still think she is a good kid, but the thought of being stuck with her for the rest of my life (as I once would have gladly signed-up for) makes me shudder.

Stay single. Do the things that YOU want to do. Spend your money the way that YOU want to spend it. If you are too horny to not always have someone around then go to the bar and get a mistress. Just make sure she doesn't force you into some kind of blind servitude, catering to her whims, compromising your own ideas and wants. Life is short - why waste it currying someone else's favor?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^obviously haven't made it all the way through Maslow, huh?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Stay single. Do the things that YOU want to do. Spend your money the way that YOU want to spend it. If you are too horny to not always have someone around then go to the bar and get a mistress. Just make sure she doesn't force you into some kind of blind servitude, catering to her whims, compromising your own ideas and wants. Life is short - why waste it currying someone else's favor?

So essentially your life is about nothing but sex?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads