• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hidden button-down collar

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm having a problem with hidden button-down collars when I wear a tie, especially a thick six-fold, where it causes the collar tips to not lay down very well.

Perhaps the space between the tie and the button-down tab is too small -- maybe I can get the tailor to move it down closer to the tips of the collar?

Or is this problem inherent with hidden button-down? The collar interlining is very soft.

The reason why I got it is because I want to have a soft roll when worn without a tie. But maybe I should just switch back to regular point collar (no button-down) and take out the collar stays when I want to have a more casual look?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the whole point of hidden button downs was to not wear them with a tie.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think hidden button-down collars should even exist, but that's a different story for a different time.

If you want a soft collar, you don't need a button-down. You just need a soft collar and long enough points to stay under your jacket.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't think hidden button-down collars should even exist, but that's a different story for a different time.

tounge.gif
Soooo doctrinaire.

Fine for casual. skip the tie.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Foo, would you like to take over as "rules guy" for a while? I could use a break.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
tounge.gif
Soooo doctrinaire.

Says the man with the funny franken-lapels.

Originally Posted by Manton
Foo, would you like to take over as "rules guy" for a while? I could use a break.

I'd love to, but half the time I just parrot something you said before. The rest of the time I just state a personal preference and call it a 'rule'.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a great tie.

I thought you were supposed to wear hidden button-downs unbuttoned, to show spazz-a-tora.

kryn13

Reaction score
I like the flexibility of the hidden button down. I have a few 'sometimes w/mostly w/out tie' shirts with hidden button downs.

But, I'm coming closer to thinking they don't work well with ties....for the reason you mentioned. The tie can make the points do odd things.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only shirt I own with a hidden button-down collar is made of white linen and is intended for few activities aside from beachcoming and haunting tikki bars. It will never come into contact with a necktie.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You wish you had those
laugh.gif

Probably as much as you wish you had an all-blue shirt wardrobe.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the look of hidden button-down collar shirts. But, as you have experienced, they don't work with thicker ties. The thicker material tugs at the buttons and throws off the look of your shirt.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I like the look of hidden button-down collar shirts. But, as you have experienced, they don't work with thicker ties. The thicker material tugs at the buttons and throws off the look of your shirt.

I have two hidden button down collar shirts - one with buttons and the other with snaps. I happened to wear the snaps one yesterday and thought yet again that I really need to relegate it to casual wear due to the propsensity of the tie to pop the snaps open.

What you describe varies (but doesn't seem to go away entirely) depending on how thick the tie is and what kind of knot I use, but it's getting to be too much trouble to coordinate both color and material of tie to the shirts every time they come up in rotation. The problem is that they are both nice shirts that I won't have much of an opportunity to wear if I don't wear them to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads