• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you enjoy being married?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My wife and I have been together uninterrupted since 1984, when we were both in college. We finally got married in 2002...I popped the question a year earlier on a hilltop in Bora Bora at sunrise on St. Valentine's Day. Our son was born four years ago.

It's been a long, wonderful trip...and I look forward to so many more amazing years in the future.

It can be done if you have the right girl, and if there is something inside you that makes you try to be the right man.

- B

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So much emphasis is placed on finding the right girl. What about becoming the right person who is ready for marriage, I think it was overlooked.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yes. i know too many people who were co-habiting in complacency and then just figured marriage is the next logical step.

my wife and i share nearly all of the same interests and have a similar sense of humor. she is happy with sex less frequently than I, but i wouldn't marry a woman who wanted it as often as me. would be a psycho.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
My wife and I have been together uninterrupted since 1984, when we were both in college. We finally got married in 2002...I popped the question a year earlier on a hilltop in Bora Bora at sunrise on St. Valentine's Day. Our son was born four years ago.

It's been a long, wonderful trip...and I look forward to so many more amazing years in the future.

It can be done if you have the right girl, and if there is something inside you that makes you try to be the right man.

- B

Cornball.

We have been married since 92. What I put inside my wife is what makes her the right woman
bigstar[1].gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
So much emphasis is placed on finding the right girl. What about becoming the right person who is ready for marriage, I think it was overlooked.

Don't kid yourself. By the marrying age, you are who you are and she is who she is. You can both make small changes but no one is doing a 180 nor should they be expected to.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't kid yourself. By the marrying age, you are who you are and she is who she is. You can both make small changes but no one is doing a 180 nor should they be expected to.

What's "marrying age" though? 18? 30? I know many things about my goals and outlooks at 30, were completely different than 18. I think I see what Bhowie is saying, and agree with it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
Simple question - do you enjoy being married?

I've found that overwhelmingly opinions are either silence about their marraige (which I interpret as not bad, but not good) or being told to never get married should I have teh chance. Both from males and females.

What I don't seem to hear is anyone preaching how great it is. Which is odd b/c there's all sorts of preachers in life. Diets, lifestyles, hobbies, television, people love to tell you about how great something is. Oddly, no one preaches about marriage.

So in an open question to get a better understanding - do you enjoy it?

You don't hear about because of the circle that you hang around with, or the type of media you choose to watch.

Marriage is one of those ideas considered by society nowadays to be obsolete and not pertinent to anything, an outdated idea. IT IS BLATANTLY NOT TRUE.

Find yourself a good woman who loves you, shares your ideas about the future/family. Marriage is work; those that think marriage is just two people living together will fail at marriage. You will have up and downs, you will have huge arguments, you will hate the other person temporarily. But at the end of the day if the woman is the right person you are the luckiest man on earth.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wasn't ready to be married before I turned 30. I actually didn't think that I would ever want to be married. I developed, over time, into the marrying type. soem people are born more ready for it, or develop quicker.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been together uninterrupted since 1984, when we were both in college. We finally got married in 2002...

Why the delay in marrying?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

- B

This says something deep about you.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What's "marrying age" though? 18? 30? I know many things about my goals and outlooks at 30, were completely different than 18. I think I see what Bhowie is saying, and agree with it.

For me "marrying age" starts around where college ends, not because you reach some magical point of enlightment, but because I think balancing a new marriage with school and probably a job is a big strain. My point is that, yes, we all change/mature with age. We all pretty much have a different outlook from when we were 18 but the change ha to come organically, I think it is a fail if you either try to change someone to your liking or change yourself to someone else's liking. Meet a person, fall in love with them, grow and mature together. There will be changes, some good/ some bad, but a much greater likelihood of success if it happens through shared experiences/growth than trying to be a certain person on day one.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't all have backs as flexible as yours, however. - B
now that was funny. And I believe that the right woman/partner does bring out the best in you. They motivate you to be at your best, more than you do on your own. The downside is that finding that person generally diminishes your prospects for greatness. I know I could have been a modern Archimedes if I were totally asexual. And for the record, even thought it appears I have a stellar marriage by most measures - I don't think I'd do it again if I were given a choice.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely enjoy being married, as it affords one the piece of mind to know that, if the cops are looking for patsy to hang a trumped-up charge on, you have a built-in alibi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads