• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bentley Continental Flying Spur

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Continental Flying Spur and the Continental Flying Spur Speed? Is the Speed a more sportier version? Better engine?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Continental Flying Spur and the Continental Flying Spur Speed? Is the Speed a more sportier version? Better engine?
Yes. More sport and speed.

hypersonic

Reaction score
That is exactly right sydneycentric, the FS Speed offers 600bhp with a top speed of around 322kmh (200mph) whereas the standard version offers 552bhp and a top speed of approx 315kmh (195mph)

The Continental Flying Spur is a terrific car ...it is just a pity that it isn't particularly good looking.
n6w65x.jpg

hypersonic

Reaction score
I have not driven the Speed version ....but performance is truly amazing for such a big car. I would not describe it as particularly sporty, but it is very easy to drive fast.

As far as looks go, I guess it just doesn't really look or feel like a Bentley to me ....not like the Arnage does. However, the Flying Spur is actually a better overall vehicle than the Arnage ...albeit a lot less expensive.

The Mercedes S65 is its main competitor ....I have not had the opportunity to drive one of those.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15% more torque and 9% more power (48 more horsepower - 600 HP vs 552HP in the standard)
some lighter components that the Standard model like pistons and rods
It also gets 3.5% better fuel economy that the non-speed version
It is faster 4.5 seconds 0-60mph for the speed vs. 4.9 in the standard
It is stiffer even with the suspension at the softest setting

Price is different too:
Standard base is $174,100
Speed $198,500 full loaded will be around $250,000

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how it looks! Its gorgeous! What are they like to drive?

Like a VW Phaeton.
devil.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
That is exactly right sydneycentric, the FS Speed offers 600bhp with a top speed of around 322kmh (200mph) whereas the standard version offers 552bhp and a top speed of approx 315kmh (195mph)

The Continental Flying Spur is a terrific car ...it is just a pity that it isn't particularly good looking.
n6w65x.jpg

Both nice cars but 200 MPH versus 195 MPH is not much of a difference.

princemarko

Reaction score

The Speed has a slightly different Engine Management System that produces more horsepower and torque, thats it.

You can get a RennTech package that will make your ordinary Flying Spur surpass the Speed's performance for less.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The speed also has a slightly more upright radiator grille.
CIMG1232BentleyFlyingSpurSpeed.jpg

Flying Spur Speed taken at this years Goodwood Festival of Speed

Dresden shot for Phaeton fanatics
Bentley-1.jpg

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best bet for a starter like me seems to be the XJS or Caterham series. I know they are not historic but for a novice like me the start up cost is relatively low and I have no idea if I will catch the bug. I built a Caterham once so knowing their complete lack of passive safety features the XJS seems like a more likely avenue.

The problem with some cars is finding a similar set of cars to race in a compeitive field.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads