• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care without the shine?

Siggy

Reaction score
D'oh! If you live on the continent saphir is easy to find.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Try it. You'll understand.

I heated some saphir polish once and the smell lingered for some time....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
True. Also for an easy to get alternative (but only comes in limited colors) I recommend Alden Boot Cream. Not only works great, but smells good like saphir and not harsh.

I will have to look into it. I've been looking for a domestic alternative.

Originally Posted by nordicstyle
No. I live in Europe, hence the strangeness of shipping something to the U.S. so I can order it back to Europe.

Huh, that's weird. I thought everyone lived in America.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I will have to look into it. I've been looking for a domestic alternative.

Huh, that's weird. I thought everyone lived in America.

You will like it. I actually enjoy smelling it. Unfortunately I believe the only colors it comes in are Black, Brown, Tan, Dark Burgandy, and neutral. I get mine from Tom Austin shoes here on 43rd between 5th and 6th.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
You will like it. I actually enjoy smelling it. Unfortunately I believe the only colors it comes in are Black, Brown, Tan, Dark Burgandy, and neutral. I get mine from Tom Austin shoes here on 43rd between 5th and 6th.

WTF, why are you guys smelling your shoe creams???
laugh.gif

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
For the Medaille D'Or line you can use http://www.valmour.fr.

Yeah, I found that site last night after clicking through the French Avel site. My French isn't what it used to be, so it took a while, but that site seems to be their main distributor in Europe. Prices are quite good, and they also offer a lot of shoe care accessories, like brushes, cloths and shoeshine boxes. Think I will order something from them soon.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
WTF, why are you guys smelling your shoe creams???
laugh.gif

Look around you. This site has hundreds of posts on "shoe Appreciation", and you find it surprising that people sniff shoe cream?
wink.gif

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Alternatively, if you live near a Berluti store you can also pick up their polish (made by Saphir). Living in London I find this easier than ordering from France, and I find Berluti's range in polish (and incidentally also in socks) to be excellent. The polish range includes a plethora of colours as well as neutral-beeswax (which I use as a first coat) and a 'cleaning wax', the properties of which I have never quite managed to figure out

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to Saphir, I recommend a leather conditioner called Crema Alpina. It may now be called Crema Nubiana or something like that. Look at the Franco's website. The product is fantastic.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
Alternatively, if you live near a Berluti store you can also pick up their polish (made by Saphir). Living in London I find this easier than ordering from France, and I find Berluti's range in polish (and incidentally also in socks) to be excellent. The polish range includes a plethora of colours as well as neutral-beeswax (which I use as a first coat) and a 'cleaning wax', the properties of which I have never quite managed to figure out

Sounds good, except that I am not looking for a polish. I want something that does not give the shine a polish does. Other people in the thread recommended me getting the cream instead for that purpose.

I think the Shoe Polish Crème Surfine Pommadier SAPHIR or Cream Shoe Polish Pommadier SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR , which they sell at www.valmour.fr is what I'm after.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads