• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicknames? Still have them? What Are They?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I play ball I am known as Gotti, my girl friends claims it is childish for a person in their mid twenties to have a nickname particularly one not derived from their real name. She is from a different background than I, she went to private school her whole life and has very few poor family members. Where I was born, lived until 5 y/o and where I play ball at everyone has a nickname. Since I'm both ghetto and half Jamaican nicknames are common and I don't give them a second thought. I wanted some more feedback from other middle class folks. Is Twenty Five too old to have a nickname?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Where I play ball I am known as Gotti, my girl friends claims it is childish for a person in their mid twenties to have a nickname particularly one not derived from their real name. She is from a different background than I, she went to private school her whole life and has very few poor family members. Where I was born, lived until 5 y/o and where I play ball at everyone has a nickname. Since I'm both ghetto and half Jamaican nicknames are common and I don't give them a second thought. I wanted some more feedback from other middle class folks. Is Twenty Five too old to have a nickname?

Some of my friends still call me Bubba.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Some of my friends still call me Bubba.

Are you from the South?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Big Boy, Daddy, Master...

He asked for nicknames from your friends, not your 14 year old Thai wife.

X-It

Reaction score
My friends still call me 'Moppie'

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nootje, sort of evolved from my real name.. noot=nut in dutch, which pretty much fits the description..

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
nootje, sort of evolved from my real name.. noot=nut in dutch, which pretty much fits the description..

Yeah... yeah! We hear you.

noot means nut and -tje, -je means little

So you are a little nut?
lol8[1].gif

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by X-It
Yeah... yeah! We hear you.

noot means nut and -tje, -je means little

So you are a little nut?
lol8[1].gif

You live quite close to me, so try me
smile.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob is usually enough of a nickname that people don't bother. Although, my stats professor seems to enjoy turning it into other names. His current favorite is Bobbilicious, which has transformed into 'Licious. I also had a friend in high school would do the same thing. Bobalopagus was probably one of my favorite creations from her.

No, 25 is not too old for a nickname. Most people wish they could have a cool nickname, and Gotti is nothing to be ashamed of.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people call me "asshole". Does that count?

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
You live quite close to me, so try me
smile.gif

Nay man! I'm just kidding, joch. I guess you do understand why my friends still call me 'Moppie' huh?
blush.gif

Originally Posted by Francis91
My friends like to call me Franny
lol8[1].gif

It's okay. Better to call you Franny rather than Franky?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads