• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders Rumor.. (don't worry, they're still alive)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

ManicAbstraction

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
If they closed, I would guess that it is due to cash flow problems. Loads of businesses that on the balance sheet are solvent run into cash flow problems and are forced to close their doors. The average payment is 60 days late. (Every designer I know says that the Japanese are the best to deal with, and that American boutiques generally suck), which puts a major stress on businesses. And stores that go out of business or are floundering will put off paying their vendors (as opposed to say, the rent) as long as possible, since the vendors have remarkably little recourse. So, you could be having great sell through, and still be scrambling for dear life if your stockists are being dicks about paying you. The only real weapon you have is to hold orders, but you would still have essentially written off a crapload of merchandise.

Do you know what cash flows are?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManicAbstraction

I feel like I am back in financial accounting 101. The answer is: yes. I was stating that liquidity problems can sink even a profitable company. I've seen it happen more than a few times, and it is especially a problem for small designers.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
No, my point is that you'll only get rarified snobs with money as your core customer. You will make a killing on individual pieces, but if the economy and market doesn't contain as many rarified snobs, then you're in for a world of hurt. By lowering the prices by say, $50-$75.00/piece you'll pull in many more tightwads and do a greater volume of business.

Originally Posted by naaaaate
If they're greedy and overcharging wouldn't that mean they have a lot of money from overcharging people? And if they have a lot of money wouldn't that mean they wouldn't be going under right now?

Is your idea of how buisness works like a scene where the BoO dude was just laughing holding a big sack with a dollar sign on it full of money and then he tried to put too much money in it and his own greed came back to haunt him when the buttons on his moneybag fell off and it all spilled out and he went "Damn I Guess I Learned My Lesson."

Kodiak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
I hope this isn't so :/
Does BoO even fit you? I was under the impression that the shirts were really short.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone pondered the fact that perhaps BOO is in trouble because the clothes suck and are unimaginative?

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManicAbstraction

How did he not perfectly sum up cash flow?

You can be perfectly solid on paper but if your retailers and distributors are not paying you, what good is it? I have little experience in apparel sales but this is the reason that many independent record labels and distributors have come and gone over the years.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
Has anyone pondered the fact that perhaps BOO is in trouble because the clothes suck and are unimaginative?
This coming from someone who's staple is Raf by Raf? To answer your question, yes, pondered it, and my opinion is no, that is not the reason. BOO is hot **** and is being copied more than any other label out there at the moment, but as Fok says, there are reasons beyond simply making sales that could force them to halt design/production.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha. wrong son. kunk has like 2 pieces of raf by raf. i generally don't wear diffusion.

Originally Posted by Brian SD
This coming from someone who's staple is Raf by Raf?

To answer your question, yes, pondered it, and my opinion is no, that is not the reason. BOO is hot **** and is being copied more than any other label out there at the moment, but as Fok says, there are reasons beyond simply making sales that could force them to halt design/production.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads