• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this coat? Is it too GQ?

nytek

Reaction score
I got this at a pretty deep discount, but not sure if I can pull off the color and the style (25 year old in finance in NYC). Is this a little too GQ or metro? What do you think of the fit? Does it only go with business casual, or would it work with jeans? Here are some pictures.
IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1495.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had you bought a size that fit you I would say that its a nice coat. You would have been able to wear it casually or dressy... had it fit you.

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
+1 ^^. You could have sized down 1, and maybe even had it tailored beyond that. Nice coat though.......I think you could pull off casual and bussiness dress with this. Banana Republic??

nytek

Reaction score
Well it is a size Small from Banana Republic which came out to $80 (sticker price of $250). I don't believe they make an extra small, so I can't purchase anything smaller. Is it worth getting tailored, because I assume that would be expensive - probably more than the price of the coat.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the size is off. It may be appropriate if you were ever to wear it over a suit coat. Certainly this is the reason I own a fairly large car coat. I would have the waist tailored, however.

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nytek
Well it is a size Small from Banana Republic which came out to $80 (sticker price of $250). I don't believe they make an extra small, so I can't purchase anything smaller. Is it worth getting tailored, because I assume that would be expensive - probably more than the price of the coat.

Get it tailored. The result will be worth the price paid. Look at it this way.....Even if you pay $50.00 in tailoring fees (which I doubt for what would need to be done) you still have a coat that in total cost you $130.00 which would have cost you $250.00 had you paid retail.

If you plan on wearing a blazer/suit under it, make sure you bring one when you are measured. Even with something underneath it can still be tailored to fit better. Fit is everything.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic coat. I would not hesitate to wear it.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the first pic, especially his right side. It seems clear to me that the coat is sagging off his shoulder. He had a from behind pic that showed the same thing but it's gone now (for reasons unknown).

Not worth it to have it tailored, imo.

Gony

Reaction score
I think that coat is a little bit big.
but if you wear sportscoat inside of coat, not bad.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"too GQ"?

"metro"?

People still use those terms? Is that kinda like still wearing square toed shoes?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen's Quarterly hasnt been relevant since way before you were born.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Gentlemen's Quarterly hasnt been relevant since way before you were born.

I have grown to hate it when people tell me that I look "very GQ"! I feel like the compliment loses its validity because if you use that phrase you have no idea what looks good anyway.
plain.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried that BR coat several months ago. Material is a bit thin and the price a bit high at full retail. At the price you paid it would make a fantastic Spring and Fall coat. It does still seem a little large on you. Take it to a decent tailor and discuss what can be done to make it fit.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whens the last time you ever followed style advice from GQ? I remember one month they were telling me to do all kinds of puffs and points with my pocket square, they also told me silk it must be silk and then next month a plain white tv fold in linen only.... really?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads