• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

obeserabbit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Context has measurements. So should the Farinelli thread. So should the APC thread.

context has unstretched measurements, i've searched the farinelli and APC threads, but no luck

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thighs don't really stretch that much, in any jean. For the most part, thighs appear to loosen up because the waist does and they begin to sit lower on your waist.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obeserabbit
context has unstretched measurements, i've searched the farinelli and APC threads, but no luck

Ha. You want them to wear them in for you and then measure? Everyone wears their jeans differently so any kind of measuring would be extremely subjective. Ha.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just did you a favor and measured my size 30 NS. They are 11.5" on mine about 2" below the crotch. (They're about 1 year old.)

I'd say the thighs definitely stretch, although not nearly as much as the waist.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are jeans with high or low rises more flattering on people with scrawny pelvic areas? My hips aren't especially narrow from side to side, but very flat. Logically, I'd assume that a low rise would work better, but I just want to check...

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, a little background here. I'm completely clueless in all matters denim. Even before I had a suit-required-job I would usually not wear jeans. I'm willing to learn a bit though.

For years I did not bother and just bought one or two pairs of Levi's 501 to have a few jeans handy. Under the influence of various girls, I moved on to buy first a pair of Cornleone and then a pair of Diesel (Shazor) model. The Corleone now show a lot of wear and I wanted to replace them.

I went on yoox and bought two pairs of jeans on sale, almost at random. I just wanted them pretty simple in design, blue, not baggy, not too low-rise. I was not aware of sizing problems and just ordered my regular waist size (about 34). The jeans are from two brands: XStone Revolution and Costume national. The Costume national ones are so slim I cannot close them at the waist. I can close the waist on the XStone, only just, but the legs are painted on and too short. I will return them but what should I order instead?

Edit: I'm thinking of getting a full refund and buying some A.P.C. instead, it's a good brand right?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Are jeans with high or low rises more flattering on people with scrawny pelvic areas? My hips aren't especially narrow from side to side, but very flat. Logically, I'd assume that a low rise would work better, but I just want to check...

It mainly has to do with torso length vs. leg length and how high the hips are. I have longish legs and wear low rises better.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It mainly has to do with torso length vs. leg length and how high the hips are. I have longish legs and wear low rises better.

Ah. I have long legs and a shorter torso, so I'm assuming I'd also do better with lower-rise jeans? I feel like the rise on my New Cures is either too high or too low, but I'm not really sure which...

hamish5178

Reaction score
Does anyone know how you can get creases out of raw denim? My APC NS have a really annoying crease on the fly that was there when I bought them (it exposes part of the top button). I tested an iron (no steam) on the inside of the waist band and it went shiny right away, ironing through a towel did nothing. Do I need to use steam?

Kodiak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^Just wear them, it'll go away.
probably not, my 19cm have a crease on the button flap that shows a couple of the buttons that has never gone away

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
OK, a little background here. I'm completely clueless in all matters denim. Even before I had a suit-required-job I would usually not wear jeans. I'm willing to learn a bit though.

For years I did not bother and just bought one or two pairs of Levi's 501 to have a few jeans handy. Under the influence of various girls, I moved on to buy first a pair of Cornleone and then a pair of Diesel (Shazor) model. The Corleone now show a lot of wear and I wanted to replace them.

I went on yoox and bought two pairs of jeans on sale, almost at random. I just wanted them pretty simple in design, blue, not baggy, not too low-rise. I was not aware of sizing problems and just ordered my regular waist size (about 34). The jeans are from two brands: XStone Revolution and Costume national. The Costume national ones are so slim I cannot close them at the waist. I can close the waist on the XStone, only just, but the legs are painted on and too short. I will return them but what should I order instead?

Edit: I'm thinking of getting a full refund and buying some A.P.C. instead, it's a good brand right?

Etienne, be aware that APC's sizing is ridiculous. If you get the New Standards, you'll want to get a size 32. I'm far from a denim expert, but for what it's worth I'd recommend the 5EP Low Down Boot Cut or the Acme Mic (I'm sure others can add other suggestions) based on your description of what you're looking for. (On the 5EP, you'll likely also want to size down to a 32.)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne

Like LD said, make sure to go down 2 from your usual size if you're going with APC New Standards.

Basically, it all comes down to what kind of a fit you're looking for. Do you want a nicer version of the 501? Are you looking for something a bit slimmer? Higher/lower rise? APC is thrown around a lot on here, sometimes to knee-jerk or sheepish effect, because it's a relatively cheap introduction to "nice" denim at $150 (although quite a few brands can be cheaper than that such as Crate and LVC); I still don't care for the denim quality but to each their own.

Once you figure out the fit you want, ask yourself what you want out of a jean. Some people prefer to start off "cheap" and then work their way up into higher-end brands they can come to appreciate. Usually the difference between good and great denim is a matter of $50-75 on top of that original $150 when you take advantage of forum affiliate discounts from people like Farinelli or Secret Service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads