• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Wow, that does suck. You went with Spinneybeck Sabrina right? Ours has held up really well. On the other hand, it does have a light coating, unlike, e.g., Spinneybeck Arizona, and if the first guy removed that there is little that could be done to replace it in-situ.

Yeah, it's Sabrina. Yours is holding up well? What color did you get? We're less disappointed with the durability, and more with the shoddy quality control.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Cappellini Elan.

Never would have guessed.
tounge.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Cappellini Elan. Quality is good. The sofa is really modern looking in person, and goes well with mid-century stuff. The designer, Jasper Morrison, is somebody you will either love or hate, but I think he is one of the very best around, and certainly worth checking out.
I own this sofa and seconds Iammatt comments. It's definitely slim and low profile. I have the two seaters 2,10m long version though, only two large cushions and the armrests are not as large as they appear on this picture.

!luc

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm shocked by the shoddy service and product quality, so we are happy to take our money elsewhere. Still, the Florence Knoll is our favorite design. For that reason, we may try to re-order the sofa, but in a different fabric or leather--probably fabric, because we're scared of the leather now.

Thanks!

1. Use your awesome lawyery skillz to sue them out of business ,finally. Their gimmiky junk should cease to exist.

2. Don't be surprised by shoddy or flat out dishonest services. We in US fancy ourselves to be a developed world's nation while living in a 3rd world country in fact.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I would have gotten a mustard tweed.

That would be very pretty, but it doesn't quite fit into our living room scheme.

Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I own this sofa and seconds Iammatt comments. It's definitely slim and low profile. I have the two seaters 2,10m long version though, only two large cushions and the armrests are not as large as they appear on this picture.

Does it feel solid? The two cushion setup might be preferable anyway; the smaller center cushion looks a little funny. What's this thing cost?

Originally Posted by gdl203
I like this

Eh. Very neat looking piece, but I have a hard time imagining it with other things.

Originally Posted by dkzzzz
1. Use your awesome lawyery skillz to sue them out of business ,finally. Their gimmiky junk should cease to exist.

I have none. Anyway, they already offered a full refund.

If we do another Florence Knoll, we're looking at this fabric:

stirling.jpg

It's 96% wool and 4% cashmere. Martindale rating of 27,500.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh. Very neat looking piece, but I have a hard time imagining it with other things.

What about now?

sofa2.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What about now?

sofa2.jpg

They look like friends in a children's cartoon where objects that are inanimate in real life have personalities and can talk.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look like friends in a children's cartoon where objects that are inanimate in real life have personalities and can talk.
Like Mafoofan's brave little toaster!

brave_little_toaster.jpg

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given your tastes and interests in furniture, I'm sure you have already considered this obvious possibility, but what about the Eames Sofa Compact? Not as substantial as your current sofa, but given your bad experience with Knoll, perhaps you should give Herman Miller a try.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it feel solid? The two cushion setup might be preferable anyway; the smaller center cushion looks a little funny. What's this thing cost?
cushions are feathers, made by Cassina. Removable cushions are great for cleaning and let you swap/return them weekly easily.
I have diffculties lifting it, that's how solid it is
smile.gif

Cost will vary with the fabric. As I have two small kids, I didn't chose anything fancy: heavy duty moka trevira. This kind of setup will take you close to $6,000.

!luc

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoo, just ask this forum, or Iammat for a shortcut, what the best of the best is and then buy it. Just like the rest of your stuff.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
Mafoo, just ask this forum, or Iammat for a shortcut, what the best of the best is and then buy it. Just like the rest of your stuff.

Do you really think I'd dress the way I do if I picked what the forum liked?

summej2

Reaction score
Yeah, it's Sabrina. Yours is holding up well? What color did you get? We're less disappointed with the durability, and more with the shoddy quality control.

Our is a dark brown. I have a swatch with number somewhere, but don't recall off hand.

The down side with leathers like these I think is that if the surface coating is abraded off, there isn't anything that can be done. The plus side is that it won't abrade or stain easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads