• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded vs. Wire Hanger

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folded. As others have said, the creases go away relatively quickly. I used to hang them (wooden hangers, of course), but I needed the closet space, so I redid my closet with the Container Store system. I now have several drawers for storing my folded shirts. This saves me a lot of space in my cramped NYC closet.

UK2004

Reaction score
If you hang your shirts but have quite a few so some tough each other will it put the collars out of shape etc?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joan Crawford
No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER? I work and work 'till I'm half-dead, and I hear people saying, "She's getting old." And what do I get? A daughter... who cares as much about the beautiful dresses I give her... as she cares about me. What's wire hangers doing in this closet? Answer me. I buy you beautiful dresses, and you treat them like they were some dishrag. You do. Three hundred dollar dress on a wire hanger. We'll see how many you've got if they're hidden somewhere. We'll see... we'll see. Get out of that bed. All of this is coming out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. You've got any more? We're gonna see how many wire hangers you've got in your closet. Wire hangers, why? Why? Christina, get out of that bed. Get out of that bed. You live in the most beautiful house in Brentwood and you don't care if your clothes are stretched out from wire hangers. And your room looks like some two-dollar-a-week furnished room in some two-bit back street town in Okalahoma. Get up. Get up. Clean up this mess.
lol

that is actually how i feel inside my head when i find one hanging inside my closet

itmfl2046

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
If you hang your shirts but have quite a few so some tough each other will it put the collars out of shape etc?

Yep. Don't push them all out of the way to fit one more in, your collars will flatten and can sit strangely if you're not wearing a tie. It's not permanent but they look unsightly when pulled out of the closet.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itmfl2046
Yep. Don't push them all out of the way to fit one more in, your collars will flatten and can sit strangely if you're not wearing a tie. It's not permanent but they look unsightly when pulled out of the closet.

Won't the collars also be flattened if shirts are folded and stacked on top of each other? I guess you have to iron the shirt before use then storing them folded? Most of the time I don't bother ironing my shirts before use, because I hang them to dry and store them on hangers in the closet, which means they don't really get that much crumpled up before I wear them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fold shirts??? That sounds like a severe pain **********.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i say just fold them all in, push them in and dont iron them when wearing for the Engineered Garments effect.

Not to state the obvious, but . . . this would not work for me.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Not to state the obvious, but . . . this would not work for me.

But how else will you get your button-down collars wrinkled just so?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
But how else will you get your button-down collars wrinkled just so?

Wrinkled? Heaven's no. I prefer a gentle rumple.

UK2004

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Won't the collars also be flattened if shirts are folded and stacked on top of each other? I guess you have to iron the shirt before use then storing them folded? Most of the time I don't bother ironing my shirts before use, because I hang them to dry and store them on hangers in the closet, which means they don't really get that much crumpled up before I wear them.

That's the problem I take them ut and some the collar just does not look right, I leave the top button undone, do up the second ond and the last one but some of my collars have lost shape, will they reapir when they are ironed?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
I have had my shirts folded by the laundry for decades for all the reasons mentioned thus far. However, I have now just started ironing and folding by better shirts, but am looking for some type of shirt "envelope" that would lessen the unfolding that takes place one they get stacked up in my closet. Anyone know of such an "envelope"? See any reason not to do this?

My cleaner puts folded shirts in boxes with a small window that lets you see inide without opening. They come in sizes for 1, 2, 3.. shirts.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get them folded so that they are ready to pack.

Also I request NO STARCH, this way the creases drop out when wearing - or if they have been folded & squashed in a bag, then a simple iron.. In fact I love a good ironing session when ever I get into a hotel!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads