• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander shoes! Opinions??

pjw123

Reaction score
http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...N&sts=sr_men80

I am thinking of buying these, what do u think in terms of quality? Its this or the Paul Smith Cage for 490.00 that I've been wanting to get since they came out. Which are better quality, I know about ps, but not so much about Raf working Jil Sander

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd get the Jil before the PS; just my opinion. Whether it's worth the $384 just depends on your budget; Jil makes a decent quality Italian made designer shoe at their regular line... nothing outstanding, but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. I like the styling and have several pairs that have held up pretty well.

If you like that style and the price isn't going to kill you, I'd say they are worth it. Not sure the retail these days, but would guess in the $500-600 range?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'd get the Jil before the PS; just my opinion. Whether it's worth the $384 just depends on your budget; Jil makes a decent quality Italian made designer shoe... nothing outstanding, but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. I like the styling and have several pairs that have held up pretty well.

If you like that style and the price isn't going to kill you, I'd say they are worth it. Not sure the retail these days, but would guess in the $500-600 range?

$695 maybe?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
$695 maybe?
I wondered... geesh, they've gone up since I used to buy them. I'm getting old.
frown.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I wondered... geesh, they've gone up since I used to buy them. I'm getting old.
frown.gif

Fancy designer shoes used to be like $300. I might be mistaken and they're $595 though, but you get the idea.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Fancy designer shoes used to be like $300. I might be mistaken and they're $595 though, but you get the idea.
I know. My first pair of HL jeans were like $140 or something and everybody thought I was nuts for spending that.
lol8[1].gif
Entry-level Jils like these were about $395-495 way back when, depending on the model. My first "tailor made" dress shirts, which were infinitely better than the recent or post-prada ones, were like $270.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is limited, but the few pairs that I bought have held up very well.

I think their quality depended on the shoe. The more conservative shoes like the one you are looking at and the one's I bought seemed to be better built.

There used to be a Jill Sander outlet in NJ, $550 shoes were mostly $110 -$200.

I missed that place.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Get the Jils.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Church's for Jil that came out a few seasons ago were decent.

pjw123

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, do you guys have any idea who made this particular model on the yoox site? I know it has changed over time, but I guess this shoe was from last season. You think the quality is better than Paul Smith mainline ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads