• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Detailing

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
F, do you have a Porter Cable?

I don't have time to enjoy the simple satisfaction of detailing a car anymore...maybe once a year.

Here's my daily driver in November before the changeover to winter wheels and tires...1Z with the Porter, and then finished off with Zaino:

452634197_dVgWn-XL.jpg

- B

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
^^^

I've said it before, but vox's E46 rocks.

Nit-pick: not a fan of the clear-bra. Hate seeing the edges and would rather take a few rock chips like a man.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
452634197_dVgWn-XL.jpg

Vox, the car looks great.

I used to detail my cars twice a year, routinely. But, unfortunately, I didn't at all last year and only once the prior year. I have the tools and interest, but not the time. I don't really want to hire it out either, especially since I do enjoy it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yep, I use a Porter Cable all the time. BMW looks great!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have a Porter Cable somewhere in the garage, and its great. Mine just need use; I'm determined to make good use of it this spring.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
My current weapon of choice is the Makita 9227 rotary. Requires some skill but offers fantastic build quality and performance. The new Flex machines are cool as well.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AF, do you have a Porter Cable?

I don't have time to enjoy the simple satisfaction of detailing a car anymore...maybe once a year.

Here's my daily driver in November before the changeover to winter wheels and tires...1Z with the Porter, and then finished off with Zaino:

452634197_dVgWn-XL.jpg

- B

Incredible. Both mean and beautiful at the same time.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
^^^

I've said it before, but vox's E46 rocks.

Nit-pick: not a fan of the clear-bra. Hate seeing the edges and would rather take a few rock chips like a man.

Thanks...the clear bra was definitely a mistake. On a black daily driver, it is just so much worse than chips. Plus, as you can see in the pic, we had to slice off the edges of the bra...it was pre-made for the US bumper, and I had that replaced with a cover shipped from Germany that did not have the lame side reflectors. The bra was already precut for the reflectors.

Originally Posted by JayJay
Vox, the car looks great.

I used to detail my cars twice a year, routinely. But, unfortunately, I didn't at all last year and only once the prior year. I have the tools and interest, but not the time. I don't really want to hire it out either, especially since I do enjoy it.

Thanks...yeah, with a four year old boy, I just don't have the time for it anymore. Once or twice a year tops, otherwise it's off to the detail shop to get a half assed job done.

Thanks, AF.

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Incredible. Both mean and beautiful at the same time.

Uhm, doesn't compare to the nice iron that you ride, but it is fun in a twisty curve.

- B

turboman808

Reaction score
Detailed my solstice over the weekeend. Bad camera and bad lighting but it's got some nice reflection to it. I still haven't used the zaino products I ordered. Gonna wait till after the winter since I will need to strip off all the wax that is on there now.
DSC00862.jpg

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uhm, doesn't compare to the nice iron that you ride, but it is fun in a twisty curve.

Doesn't compare in the sense that it's probably faster around a road course and would have a chance at completing an afternoon of hard of laps without breaking? LOL The italian cars look and sound cool but the E46 is an awesome performer and looks very cool too, especially in your configuration.
smile.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Detailed my solstice over the weekeend. Bad camera and bad lighting but it's got some nice reflection to it.

I still haven't used the zaino products I ordered. Gonna wait till after the winter since I will need to strip off all the wax that is on there now.

DSC00862.jpg

I would suggest Z5 Pro (more wet) on that color but Z2 Pro (more reflective) would be excellent as well.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AF, do you have a Porter Cable?

452634197_dVgWn-XL.jpg

- B

Vox - Do you live in The People's Republic?

turboman808

Reaction score
I would suggest Z5 Pro (more wet) on that color but Z2 Pro (more reflective) would be excellent as well.

I have both so I can use whichever. I will try the Z5 but thought that was more for hiding scratches.

I was planning to use Meg #105 and #82 before using the zaino products. They were recomended to me for GM clear coats.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I have both so I can use whichever. I will try the Z5 but thought that was more for hiding scratches.

I was planning to use Meg #105 and #82 before using the zaino products. They were recomended to me for GM clear coats.

I would politely suggest shelving the Megs products and using Z-PC. Megs is not as fine a quality product line, especially weak in polishes. I only use Menzerna and Zaino for polishing. #105 is probably more aggressive than you need anyway.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pics from recent detail. Used my normal Zaino process:

Simple Green on Tires
Z-7 wash, chenille sponge pad
Z-PC plus PC with Ultrafina pad on "6" times 2
Autogeek Indigo microfibers to remove residue
Z-6 detailer and Pakshak Ultra Plush
Z-5 Pro, Zaino applicator
Z-8 for LSP, Pakshak UltraSmooth

3-series? You are small-time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads