• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with sportcoat fit appreciated

agent86a

Reaction score
Hi all, I really appreciate the comments on fit provided on these forums and hope you can help. First off, I apologize for the photos, the light is not good in my room and my camera is not performing well under the conditions. I'm also just wearing jeans and a casual shirt, which I hope this jacket can be paired with as well as nicer slacks. I bought this wool-cashmere blend 3-roll-2 Ralph Lauren sportcoat from the discontinued signature ralph lauren line for a very good price at Marshalls. It is a beautiful brown herringbone pattern. The jacket is a 40R, which is my normal size but this jacket is certainly on the slim and short side. I'm about 5'11" feet tall, and weigh about 170 pounds. I'm a bit concerned that this jacket is too short for me and there is a slight pull at the center button, although it's pronounced in the pics due to lifting my arm to take the photos. I've looked around these fora for info on jacket length and this seems to fall a bit short of the "cover one's rear" standard. On the other hand it appears relatively long compared to what all the models on Ralph Lauren's website are wearing (which all look too short to me). I have a couple of days left to return this, and am wondering whether it's worth keeping. I love the fabric and it's extremely well made, but I need to have the buttons added since the sleeves are basted at the moment. I don't imagine this will be cheap (any estimates?). I appreciate your time and comments!
14n3itk.jpg
33omi43.jpg
de41gm.jpg

GucciKid

Reaction score
Fit is quite good in my opinion

Edward

Reaction score
I agree - it looks like a good fit. Wear it in good health!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks about as good as off the rack can look. I know what you mean about it being a bit short, but I believe it is cut to be that way. I think it looks great with jeans.

agent86a

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments! I thought it looked good in the store, but was beginning to doubt myself after all that I had read about jacket length. Looks like I'll be taking it to the tailor to have the sleeve buttons done!

southbound35

Reaction score
I'll be a dissenting vote. I think, overall, the fit is good, but believe it is 1-2" too short.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I think it looks about as good as off the rack can look. I know what you mean about it being a bit short, but I believe it is cut to be that way. I think it looks great with jeans.

I agree with this. This is in keeping with the slightly cropped - shorter - look on a lot of sport jackets lately. This is a deliberate design and look; there's nothing wrong with the jacket. It's that way so as to appear more sporty/jaunty.

agent86a

Reaction score
With 7 yeas and 1 nay, the yeas have it! Thanks all for your thoughts.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats probably the length of my Black Label suit that I got in a short. It looks good to me.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks good, nice find.

Question what is the tab on the lapel? I like it.

neato

Reaction score
Good looking jacket......but I think it's a little short. Still wearable though. I think it might look too short because your jeans look like they're low-rise.

agent86a

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro
Looks good, nice find. Question what is the tab on the lapel? I like it.
When the collar is turned up, the tab attaches to a button under the other collar to keep the jacket closed at the neck for very windy days perhaps? I haven't seen this before, and don't plan to use it, but I don't have a problem with it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads