• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dining Out in Large Groups - Tips on How to Not Get Screwed When the Check Comes?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I would tell the guy who invited the extra people that that group shorted their payment by approximately $100 and others had to pick it up. He should offer to pay it and then recoup from the other people. If he doesn't do this or say that he'll get it from the others I would point blank tell him that he and his friends are no longer welcome to your events. What can he possibly say to you?

b

This is an excellent suggestion.

kingnor

Reaction score
yeah, start bringing cash, i don't usually have this problem since most of my friends in the bay area are college friends. we're all used to sharing the bill fairly. a couple twenties and some fives and singles should be fine.

be prepared, it's part of being a dude
smile.gif
girls love it

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since everyone always just splits the bill evenly, your options are:

1) Be the cheap ass who says put less on my card

2) Put down cash (this requires going to an ATM)

3) Order the most expensive items on the menu and the most alcohol. This is the best option all around since everyone else is doing it as well, and you will be happy by the end of the evening.

I learned this quite quickly when, despite being on a generous expense account, I ended up paying $125 for a $9 caeser salad and a glass of water on my first day.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91
We split the bill evenly. Whenever we make dinner plans for the group, everyone is notified about it ahead of time.

i like the fact that everyone knows ahead of time. when i was a kid, my parents had friends they would go out with who would always just split the bill, even though my extremely frugal parents would value shop on the menu, while the other couple would sometimes order multiple entrees if they couldnt make up their mind or were afraid they may not like something, multiple bottles of wine, multiple desserts (for the same reason as entrees). consequently, my parents had to stop going out with them because at the time they just couldnt afford it.

CanadaSteep

Reaction score
Too simple to work: Make large group outings cash only.Saves time too.

In reality, figure out your share ahead of time, along with whoever you are leaving with, so you can cover it ahead of the curve, and tip well on it.
Ex: Your entree/main steak/etc. and their food and drink +20%...Say "Run $200, from us", and you're good.

gsugsu

Reaction score
If you are getting shafted because you are the one with the plastic think ahead and bring cash to cover your end and your tip. Bottom line is that if you are the one facilitating everyone else with your card you are always in the position of getting done especially in large groups.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of public humiliation so if I was toting up the bill and the money given so far, and it came up short, I'd ask everyone how much they gave and what they had. Then I'd check the items off the list one by one and correct anyone apparently too stupid for cheap to pay their fair share.

But, again, I only eat out with friends who, after all these years, I trust implicitly.

b

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the people that short I think know they did, and will not own up when doing the recount.

What usually happens, is everybody puts the cash in the folder, then somebody counts it, and it is short. I think, then, just do not put the cash in the folder until AFTER it is counted. Keep the cash in front of you, see where you are at, then if A OK, then put together. If not, then maybe it is time to tally per person.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
But the people that short I think know they did, and will not own up when doing the recount.

Bring a calculator or do some quick math in your head. Ask them how much money they put in. Then present them with a total including tip. If they put in too little, they have no way to refute it. If they refuse to put more in, they are a thief and you should tell them so.

And, yes, I realize it's easy for me to say this since it never happens to me and I don't have to do it.

As others have said, simply never eat out with these people again.

b

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with HEWSINATOR that people know what they are doing, at least I'm sure that's what happened to me recently. What was interesting about my experience was that everyone had cash because we were in a third world country where all transactions were in cash. I didn't know any of the people except for two of them, and I didn't know them well. But I know that there were at least three people who did put in their fair share, and unfortunately, I was the one collecting the money. Due to the nature of the situation it was difficult to confront people. Unsurprisingly, the same group suggested dinner at a restaurant the next night, I declined.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I won't eat out with more than 3-4 people unless I am paying. And even then those that I do go out and eat with would be very close friends so it's not a problem if we all just split it because none of them are going to sit there and nickle and dime it.
If I do end up being around 7-8 people I don't know well I make sure I bring cash with me, put my cahs in and then go to the bathroom. After I ended up picking up the slack of almost 200 Euros once for a friends birthday in Italy I'll never again do that.

free man

Reaction score
Some ***** still owes me cash from a friends birthday dinner. Every time I see her I yell at her about it, and shes never going to pay me. I think the answer is to only go out to dinner with close friends who you know will pay you fairly. Or just don't be 'that guy' who always pays for dinner with his card

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by free man
Some ***** still owes me cash from a friends birthday dinner. Every time I see her I yell at her about it, and shes never going to pay me. I think the answer is to only go out to dinner with close friends who you know will pay you fairly. Or just don't be 'that guy' who always pays for dinner with his card

I can never get myself to ask someone back for the money they owe me. If you are an adult and mature enough, you should remember to pay someone back when you borrow. Ugh, it usually creates an awkward situation that I would rather avoid and I just make sure not to let them borrow any money again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads