• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom by Sugar Cane (TOYO)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to post more pictures as things progress. Yeah, Magician, I'm having a hard time not buying more MF stuff at this point!

Originally Posted by robin
zissou, did the hot soak cause the shoulder area to shrink any?
I don't have measurements, but it did actually shrink a little in the shoulders. This was good, because I think the coat hits my shoulders just right now, whereas it was a little wide pre-soak.

You can probably tell from the first picture in my post above that I soaked it with the collar up so that I could rework the rolls in the lapel/collar myself after drying.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I think your fit pictures and post above have sold me on the coat. It looks a lot better on you than it does on Cotton Duck in his pictures (sorry Cotton!).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mister Freedom line is amazing. The detail is fantastic. The work that went into his tote bag was the very best!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Thanks. I think your fit pictures and post above have sold me on the coat. It looks a lot better on you than it does on Cotton Duck in his pictures (sorry Cotton!).
I'm pretty OCD about clothes fitting right (i.e., slim and long enough), and this pea coat was one of the few MF pieces that I thought would actually fit me well. Kiya's measurements on SE are spot on for the 38, which is what I ordered. I think cotton duck is even taller than I am. One other thing I noticed about his fit pictures of the coat is that he buttons only three buttons, whereas I button four.
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The Mister Freedom line is amazing. The detail is fantastic. The work that went into his tote bag was the very best!
I completely agree!
smile.gif
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
nice coat. im wondering if shrinking was different for the cotton and the wool lining, im concerned perhaps if they shrunk at a different rate the wool lining would come off
The wool lining is only stitched into the coat, and, yeah, it doesn't shrink like the denim. So, the lining wind up being a little larger than the denim coat itself. I suppose that, if someone tried to shrink the coat dramatically, then the wool lining would hang lower than the hem and start sticking out the sleeves. Mine doesn't do that, though, because I didn't shrink it that much.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keep us updated, I'm really anxious to see how this thing wears in...one of the coolest posts in a long time.
thumbs-up.gif

mpcec

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my MFSC Cpo shirt as request by zissou.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great fit on your CPO! What size did you buy, and what's your height/weight? I've been tempted, but I'm worried the sleeves would be too short for the slim chest size I want. You haven't soaked it yet, have you?

mpcec

Reaction score
Hey, I have soaked it. I ordered a large and it shrank a full size to a medium. For reference I'm 6'2", not positive of weight but I'm between 170-180 I think.

I wear a M or S in EG, M for traditional fit and the S fits slimmer. M in WWM, L in BoO.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicely done. I think you and I are about the same size. I'm a M in EG. Any reason you shrank the large instead of buying a medium? Was it for sleeve length?

mpcec

Reaction score
Zissou once you wash the shirt it shrinks down a size. So the Large post wash essentially has the exact measurements of a Medium pre wash. If you were to buy the size Medium and then wash it it would shrink down to a size small and be unwearable.

To determine what size you should buy, find which measurements on the SelfEdge site work best for you and size up one.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mister Freedom Deck Jacket for J.Crew, exclusive to their liquor store location.
jcrew_h.jpg
http://men.style.com/news/blog/2009/...ust-in-mf.html
J.Crew has devoted itself in recent seasons to the atmospheric—the Liquor Store is equal parts stage set and retail space—so when the brand set its sights on creating a military jacket, no surprise that it went for broke on the details. Made in collaboration with the Hollywood-based vintage hound, designer, and retailer Mister Freedom, the Crew's limited-edition (only seven made) deck jacket obsessively reimagines forties naval garb, boasting enough period details to satisfy even the most meticulous armchair ensign. The grosgrain cotton outer layer is loomed to Navy standards, the lining is a wool "naval blanket" (stitched MFSC Navy—that's Mister Freedom and Sugar Cane, the name of the Japanese mill where it was created), and sandwiched between the two is a layer of organdy, a feature of the original jackets on which it was modeled. You won't see it, but you will hear it: As the fabric moves, it creaks like an old house settling. Good for wind-proofing, says the company; less so, presumably, for sneaking up an enemy combatant. $850, available at the J.Crew Liquor Store, 235 W. Broadway, NYC, (212) 226-5476, jcrew.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads