• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style and the Overweight Man

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a stereotype about overweight men being slovenly. Judging by the enthusiastic talk about "slim" clothing in clothing forums and also the lack of pictures of well-dressed men who are quite overweight, it would appear there's something to it.

Naturally there are many members who are somewhat overweight, but what about clinically obese members? If a very heavy man is interested in style, he'll probably gravitate toward classic clothing.

For polling purposes, let's try to define terminology. Are You Simply Overweight Or Clinically Obese?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
If a very heavy man is interested in style, he'll probably gravitate toward classic clothing.

or a big diet

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum moves too quickly. More votes, please? Looking for some statistical significance. According to the Body Consciousness sub-forum, there are obese members around.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
im sure there are a few like me, but all my life i wavered between overweight and very slim.

most recently was the biggest contrast: 2005-2007 i was a very hefty 210+ lbs and then in 2008 dropped down to my lowest of 165lbs and very skinny. i mean bone joints and tendon lines were accentuated. i am now a semi heavy 190+.

i know it is not the healthiest.
but when i was very heavy, i gravitated towards the more conservative lines in clothing. standard dress shirtings, pleated pants, etc.
when i am slim, i gravitate towards designer wear.

rebenga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
im sure there are a few like me, but all my life i wavered between overweight and very slim.

most recently was the biggest contrast: 2005-2007 i was a very hefty 210+ lbs and then in 2008 dropped down to my lowest of 165lbs and very skinny. i mean bone joints and tendon lines were accentuated. i am now a semi heavy 190+.

i know it is not the healthiest.
but when i was very heavy, i gravitated towards the more conservative lines in clothing. standard dress shirtings, pleated pants, etc.
when i am slim, i gravitate towards designer wear.

Wow. Hope you kept your fat clothes.

Why did you regain weight? Do you antipate going back up to 210+ or back down or is this it for you?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Is this the thread where I post Anna motivational posters? Let's all go eat a burger and vomit together afterwards!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am clinically obese! Yeah!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebenga
Why did you regain weight? Do you antipate going back up to 210+ or back down or is this it for you?

i know why i regain, it is because i eat and dont get enough exercise. but in terms of why this happens cyclically, i cannot really explain, it is not like i want it to happen it just does throughout my life.

i anticiapte if i dont get on the ball moving, i will go back up to 210. right now i am trying to get some exercise in, but it is always difficult with work and everything. no excuse, just whenever i had the chance to exercise, i was either : going to school, had a job where i had time during the day (contracting) , uemployed (like the last stint of losing weight). so i had the time to work the exercise in. i mean like 2-3 hours a day in the gym!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know why i regain, it is because i eat and dont get enough exercise. but in terms of why this happens cyclically, i cannot really explain, it is not like i want it to happen it just does throughout my life.

i anticiapte if i dont get on the ball moving, i will go back up to 210. right now i am trying to get some exercise in, but it is always difficult with work and everything. no excuse, just whenever i had the chance to exercise, i was either : going to school, had a job where i had time during the day (contracting) , uemployed (like the last stint of losing weight). so i had the time to work the exercise in. i mean like 2-3 hours a day in the gym!

im on similar situation. was 240lb, went down to 200 and back up to 235 due to foot injuries (3 months of special boots). now back to losing weight again.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why so much time?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
im on similar situation. was 240lb, went down to 200 and back up to 235 due to foot injuries (3 months of special boots). now back to losing weight again.

keep it up. i really want you to take full advantage of your RLPL $4500 suit. things like that dont come around once in a blue moon.

Originally Posted by James Bond
Why so much time?

i was unemployed.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's a good way to kill time, but I would go insane spending that much time there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads