• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston Murphy vs. Cole Haan vs. Kenneth Cole (Shoes)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Yes, it was the Trafton I looked at; I was too lazy to recall the name. The broguing is stupidly oversized in real life, the leather looked plastic and the shoe was suspiciously light in the hand. I still like the last though.

Hmm, I have the last reiteration, with the oak sole. Definitely not light in the hand
eh.gif
The broguing is what it is and the leather "warms up" after some wearings.

jpo

Reaction score
Hmmm. I had thought about getting a pair of Cole-Haan 'Air Jackson' (but in a cap toe), as I spent a couple hours trying on shoes at Nordstrom and came away with a really good fit with the Jacksons. It's Napa leather, so it was very soft. But, I can't say I really say I studied the shoes quality, or would truly know how? Do you guys think they would suck? Should I suck it up and find a good fit in an Allen Edmonds (or other suggestions). The shoe would be my primary black oxford shoe, so it would be important. Again, the fit was like a glove, but sounds like I should be concerned about quality. Thoughts would be appreciated.

awxg

Reaction score
^ If it was an important shoe, I'd invest in a better one. And those are derbies, not oxfords regardless what it says.

gilwood

Reaction score
I think your air jacksons won't last long. I actually have two pairs of Cole Haan Santa Barbara loafer shoes (purchased on sale for $99 each):

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ductGroup=1314

Both pairs are about a year old and the soles are cracking sort of like how a driveway cracks. It won't be long until water starts splashing through the bottom. The problem is with the Air Nike soles that have poor quality rubber.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is like asking whether it's better to make out with your sister or your mother.

Totally. I mean, obviously your sister is better.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Totally. I mean, obviously your sister is better.

Depends on how old she is
devil.gif
errrrrrr....

I have some J&M aristocrafts which have held up nicely with regular care. I probably wouldn't buy any of their new stuff though. I had a pair of Kenneth Coles I bought in college and they lasted for 5 months before being unwearable. Biggest waste of $70 ever.

Never had any Cole Haans, however most of the ones I see on their website look to be pretty horrid. However the Traftons edmorel speaks of seem nice. Beautiful soles.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some Cole Haan Madero's as my interview shoes, and now I'm beginning to regret it...they fit well too! they were 50% off and AE's are 3x as much, but I'm not sure what to do?

delayedReaction

Reaction score
Cole Haan Collection is fine deeply discounted (goodyear welted etc etc). It's not amazing, but it's not the nightmare people are making it out to be. The lasts aren't particularly elegant, but they're not hideous either.

If you buy the lower priced cemented/rubber soled shoes, that's your own fault.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delayedReaction
Cole Haan Collection is fine deeply discounted (goodyear welted etc etc). It's not amazing, but it's not the nightmare people are making it out to be. The lasts aren't particularly elegant, but they're not hideous either.

If you buy the lower priced cemented/rubber soled shoes, that's your own fault.

How would I know if the Air Madero is cemented? I think it's their lower-end line, and is the most recent model. Thanks!

sf_esq

Reaction score
Cole Haan = Crap.

Only shoes I have owned in my entire life that developed a hole in the sole after light wear as well as a heel beginning to tear off.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
I actually like J and M. Lots of misses but a few good hits from time to time. I know, I know. Cemented soles and shoddy construction, but honestly, I have more than a few pairs of mid-range shoes (AE, J and M, Magnanni, Florsheim Imperial, and a few other brands) so durability isn't that much of an issue. I only buy at deep discount (less than $50) so it's a value to me. My thought on J and M is that it is a perfectly good shoe for where I am in life - transitioning into more refined styles. Until I am more comfortable (and wealthier), I'm fine with them.

And, now, let the bashing begin ...

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpo
Hmmm. I had thought about getting a pair of Cole-Haan 'Air Jackson' (but in a cap toe), as I spent a couple hours trying on shoes at Nordstrom and came away with a really good fit with the Jacksons. It's Napa leather, so it was very soft.

But, I can't say I really say I studied the shoes quality, or would truly know how? Do you guys think they would suck? Should I suck it up and find a good fit in an Allen Edmonds (or other suggestions). The shoe would be my primary black oxford shoe, so it would be important. Again, the fit was like a glove, but sounds like I should be concerned about quality. Thoughts would be appreciated.

For a few extra bucks you can get a nice pair of AE's that will last much longer. Shop around, and you can most definately get a good deal.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoubleDomer
I actually like J and M. Lots of misses but a few good hits from time to time. I know, I know. Cemented soles and shoddy construction, but honestly, I have more than a few pairs of mid-range shoes (AE, J and M, Magnanni, Florsheim Imperial, and a few other brands) so durability isn't that much of an issue. I only buy at deep discount (less than $50) so it's a value to me. My thought on J and M is that it is a perfectly good shoe for where I am in life - transitioning into more refined styles. Until I am more comfortable (and wealthier), I'm fine with them.

And, now, let the bashing begin ...

Eh, we all have to make up our own minds about what consitutes good value for our money. But here's what put me off them:

jm1.jpg

That's my one and only pair of mainline J&Ms, purchased on sale for $50. And here's how much wear they received to end up in that condition:

jm2.jpg

That's $50 wasted, in my book. They live in the back of my closet, awaiting donation.

coopster

Reaction score
Cole Haan are my dress shoes of choice. For me the price to comfort and looks ratio is right on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads