• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston Murphy vs. Cole Haan vs. Kenneth Cole (Shoes)

gilwood

Reaction score
I know you guys don't like any of these 3 brands in shoes, but I was wondering if you guys would rate them in order of quality. Personally, I would say Johnston Murphy (6/10) >> Cole Haan (5/10) >> Kenneth Cole (3/10).

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw some of the Cole Haan top-line shoes this weekend. Total crap-o-rama. But better than KCs, yes.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I have read on here that Cole Haan used to be better regarded. Did someone acquire them recently?

I ask because I have two pairs of Cole Haan shoes that I've "thrifted" that have beautiful leather and very good construction.

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
I know you guys don't like any of these 3 brands in shoes, but I was wondering if you guys would rate them in order of quality. Personally, I would say Johnston Murphy (6/10) >> Cole Haan (5/10) >> Kenneth Cole (3/10).

J&M used to make some really nice looking stuff back then and I kind of like this one from them. But if I had to rate them, it would be similar to yours.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...2495&VID=62495

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I have read on here that Cole Haan used to be better regarded. Did someone acquire them recently?

I ask because I have two pairs of Cole Haan shoes that I've "thrifted" that have beautiful leather and very good construction.

Yes some of the older Cole Haan's used to be made by Cheaney one of the under-rated UK makers.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
i think Nike bought them some years back

You are correct -- Nike did purchase Cole Haan.

J&M gets no love on this forum, but I don't think that they're as bad as people say they are. If you're on a budget and looking for a dependable pair of dress shoes, J&M is a good option, IMO. They are certainly more conservative and even a bit clunky, but they do fine in a professional setting, and they will last forever. Depending on the level of shoe, I think the quality is solid but unspectacular. Not nearly as nice as AE, let alone the higher level brands, but solid.

I would rate J&M above Cole Haan and Kenneth Cole.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I saw some of the Cole Haan top-line shoes this weekend. Total crap-o-rama. But better than KCs, yes.

+1 and +1

Lucky7

Reaction score
I would say Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy, & then in 1,246,876th place Kenneth Square Toe Cole

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, before I knew about such things, I bought three pairs of Cole Haan shoes and felt quite pleased with myself. In a matter of weeks, two of them began to fall apart. I returned all three and have not set foot in a Cole Haan store since.

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I would say Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy, & then in 1,246,876th place Kenneth Square Toe Cole

I believe that would be Aldo's place.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
I believe that would be Aldo's place.

Wait, you mean aldo doesn't make nice shoes? That was meant to be facetious..for all those who read that and couldn't get to the reply button quick enough to rip me a new asshole.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
Wait, you mean aldo doesn't make nice shoes? That was meant to be facetious..for all those who read that and couldn't get to the reply button quick enough to rip me a new asshole.
laugh.gif
Last time I browsed Aldo (couple of years ago) it looked very poor. I bought 2 pairs of J&M several years ago for $150 each. One was pleather and not so good but the other full grain shoe aged well. It has a nice patina and I still wear it casually. I found I can buy AE's for that kind of money so I wouldn't do it again though.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, it was the Trafton I looked at; I was too lazy to recall the name. The broguing is stupidly oversized in real life, the leather looked plastic and the shoe was suspiciously light in the hand. I still like the last though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads