• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you recommend a first car (for a 22 y/o)?

greatfire

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working on getting my license and I'm also thinking about what I should do for a first car.

I'm male, 22 y/o, live in the South Bay area, and I don't know anything about cars.

My budget will probably top out at about $10K, but I'm not letting the price bother me (too much), because if the car is worth it, then I'll go the extra mile.

I would love to have something modern and urbane.

That aside, what do you think would be a good first car for someone like myself?

Thanks.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Tell us a little about your wants/needs. Creature comforts? Do you travel a lot? Do you need space.?

greatfire

Reaction score
I'm not that picky. I would love for the car to not look like a POS. For example, I like the 2003 Acura 3.2TL Type S. I don't know if its a good car, but I like the way it looks.

I'm "medium tall" (6'1"), and from driving lessons in a Cavalier, I know the car needs to have some leg room, or I'll get sore.

I don't travel very much, and the car would mostly be used for getting to and from work/hobbies.

I care about mileage, but I don't want that to get in the way of getting a good car. Good mileage is a nice to have.

Basically, I'm looking for something that looks good, is reliable, and is great for someone new to driving.

A luxury/comfortable interior would be nice. heh.

I don't know what else.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honda Accord

Reliable, low price, lasts for a long time, cheap maintenance, good gas mileage, etc

theguy

Reaction score
I would say an 03 or 04 infiniti i35
Basically the upscale version of a maxima
very reliable, decent interior
I looked into the tl about 2 years ago and found they have ****** problems

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is your credit like? if you have no credit, or bad credit, you will get raped on the finance charges. i suggest you buy a car you can afford to pay off in a year, then sell it, use that money as a trade-in, and you'll have good credit for financing your $10k car.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greatfire
I'm not that picky. I would love for the car to not look like a POS. For example, I like the 2003 Acura 3.2TL Type S. I don't know if its a good car, but I like the way it looks.

I'm "medium tall" (6'1"), and from driving lessons in a Cavalier, I know the car needs to have some leg room, or I'll get sore.

I don't travel very much, and the car would mostly be used for getting to and from work/hobbies.

I care about mileage, but I don't want that to get in the way of getting a good car. Good mileage is a nice to have.

Basically, I'm looking for something that looks good, is reliable, and is great for someone new to driving.

A luxury/comfortable interior would be nice. heh.

I don't know what else.

I used to drive an 03 Acura TL-S. It was a pretty nice car but you should be aware of the fact they have transmission issues - luckly, mine was covered under warranty and had to be replaced. They also have really ****** fuel efficiency and used premium gas. Other than that, it was a nice car which had more leg room than the Honda accord.

I know this isn't the most practical option, but how about an older E-class? 2001-2002 ish you can get for pretty cheap. Maintenance is expensive but its a great highway cruiser and has a lot of leg room (I'm 6'3" and I find it roomy).

Good luck.

huy

Reaction score
I think the TL would be a great car for you in your price range. It is an entry level luxury car made from Honda so it is reliable. Gas milage is pretty decent too at 17/27 mpg. Looks good too.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
I used to drive an 03 Acura TL-S. It was a pretty nice car but you should be aware of the fact they have transmission issues - luckly, mine was covered under warranty and had to be replaced. They also have really ****** fuel efficiency and used premium gas. Other than that, it was a nice car which had more leg room than the Honda accord.

I know this isn't the most practical option, but how about an older E-class? 2001-2002 ish you can get for pretty cheap. Maintenance is expensive but its a great highway cruiser and has a lot of leg room (I'm 6'3" and I find it roomy).

Good luck.

I was going to suggest a W210 E-class as well! Solidly built car. Will be relatively reliable, is luxurious and the cabin if fairly large and you will fit just fine. I'd recommend adding and extra 1 or 2 K to your budget to be able to purchase the facelift version. Cabin has more features and the body is updated as well. Drawback: Maintenance at Mercedes is expensive. But, with an '01 or '02 most of the bugs should be worked out and fixed by now. Just make sure to get service records and carfax and read them thoroughly.

coachvu

Reaction score
Mazda 3. Reliable, cheap, plenty of leg room up front. You can get a hatchback if you need more storage space, as well.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
Mazda 3. Reliable, cheap, plenty of leg room up front. You can get a hatchback if you need more storage space, as well.
+1 absolutely. More fun to drive than a Honda as well. Hands down my favorite rental car.

coachvu

Reaction score
I was skeptical when my girlfriend bought a Mazda 3, but they are lots of fun to drive. The styling is better than the Honda models, and they are cheaper. It's the car I always recommend for young people on a budget.

zeni

Reaction score
I'm your age and I got a VW Rabbit last year. I love it, it's reliable, spacious for a 2 dr (I'm 6ft, and I can fit loads of stuff driving to and from college), fun to drive (lightweight + peppy), and has features you'd expect in higher priced cars (side mirror defrost and blinkers for ex). I tested the Mazda3, also a great car, but the features, styling and drive of the Rabbit won me over. If you want to stay right around that 10k mark, my friend got a Nissan Versa (I think they start at 9something). Nice car and reliable too. Don't have a lot of experience with American cars, so I don't know if all the stereotypes are true, but there might be some decent discounts on them these days. Another friend has a Jeep Compass that's rather nice. Anyway Good luck

turboman808

Reaction score
Although I love sports cars and spend a great deal of money on them I still have a honda accord for doing the family and friends and being out late kind of stuff.

For 10 grand a civic or an accord would be a good choice. From toyota a corralla would be good as well.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeni
I'm your age and I got a VW Rabbit last year. I love it, it's reliable, spacious for a 2 dr (I'm 6ft, and I can fit loads of stuff driving to and from college), fun to drive (lightweight + peppy), and has features you'd expect in higher priced cars (side mirror defrost and blinkers for ex). I tested the Mazda3, also a great car, but the features, styling and drive of the Rabbit won me over. If you want to stay right around that 10k mark, my friend got a Nissan Versa (I think they start at 9something). Nice car and reliable too. Don't have a lot of experience with American cars, so I don't know if all the stereotypes are true, but there might be some decent discounts on them these days. Another friend has a Jeep Compass that's rather nice. Anyway Good luck

Not trying to be an ass but are you a female?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads