• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop in Seattle

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Just want to post this list I compiled for reference. Perhaps this will be of help for those visiting Seattle in the future...

Ian
501 N 36th Street Seattle, WA 98103
Monday-Sat 11-7, Sunday 11-6
http://www.ianshop.com/

Ian Downtown
1919 2nd Ave. Seattle, WA 98101
Monday-Sat 11-7, Sunday 11-6
http://www.ianshop.com/

Oslo’s
1519 Queen Anne Ave N Seattle, WA 98109
206-282-OSLO
Mon-Wed 10-7, Thu 10-9, Fri 10-7, Sat 10-6, Sun 11-5
http://www.oslosamensstore.com/default.aspx

Kuhlman
2419 1st Ave Seattle, WA 98121
Mon - Sat: 11- 7, Sun: 12- 6
(206) 441-1999
http://www.kuhlmanseattle.com/

Polite Society – Ste Main
1924 1st Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 441-4796
Mon - Sat: 11-7, Sun: 12– 5
http://www.shoppolitesociety.com

Atsui
90 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 264-2728‎
Open 10-7 Daily
http://shop.atsuitokyo.com/

Mario’s
1513 6th Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 447-2677‎
(206) 223-1461‎
(206) 622-6161
Mon-Sat 10-6:30, Sun 12-5 ‎
http://www.marios.com

Butch Blum
1408 5th Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 622-5760‎
Mon-Sat 10-7, Sun 12-5
http://www.butchblum.com

Blackbird Ballard
5410 22nd Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
(206) 547-2524
Mon-Fri 9-8, Sat 9-9, Sun 9-7
http://www.blackbirdballard.com

Jack Straw Filaments
1117 1st Ave, Seattle, WA‎ (206) 462-6236‎
Mon-Sat 11-6, Sun – Closed
No website

J Gilbert Footwear
2025 1st Ave Ste F Seattle, WA 98121
(206) 441-1182
Mon-Sat 10-6, Sun - Closed
www.jgilbertfootwear.com

Pacific Place Mall (Barney’s & J Crew)
600 Pine St # 228
Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 405-2655
Mon-Sat 9:30-8, Sun 11-7 (Barnes & Noble open until 11PM)
http://www.pacificplaceseattle.com/home.aspx

Nordstom Flagship
500 Pine Street
Seattle, WA 98101-1744
(206) 628-2111‎
Mon-Sat 9-9, Sun 10-7

Pike Place Market
Parking Garage – 1531 Western Avenue Seattle, WA 98101
Pike Place/1st Avenue level:
Monday through Saturday, 10am to 6pm
Sunday, 11am to 5pm
DownUnder stores:
Monday through Sunday, 11am to 5pm
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=false

Betty Lin
608 2nd Ave Seattle 98104
206-442-6888
Mon-Sat 10-6
http://www.shopbettylin.com

David Lawrence Inc.
1318 4th Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 622-2544
http://www.david-lawrence.com‎
Mon-Fri 10-7, Sat 10-6, Sun 12-6

Seattle Airport
17801 Pacific Highway S, Seattle, WA 98158

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Thanks all for the info. I got my waypoints set so here is the rotation. I will be staying at the Sheraton on 6th & Union:

Fly in SAT evening - hit Blackbird since they close late.

Sunday morning visit the stores that open early - Atsui (open 10AM) then Oslo's (open 11AM.)

Then hit the 12PM crowd in this order:

1. Kuhlman

2. Drive and park at the Pike Place Market Parking Garage - 1531 Western Avenue and hit Polite Society, Ian and pay a visit to the very special first ever Starbucks at Pike Place.

3. Drive back to hotel & walk to David Lawrence, Blum Butch & Marios

4. If any time is left hit Nordstrom Flagship & Pacific Place mall next door.

Any stores I left out are closed Sunday's. Please advise if any modifications to this plan are needed. Tourist stuff? Forget it - done that already in Seattle. This trip is for shopping so I look forward to pounding cement...

I'd walk rather than drive.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Parking is free on the streets in downtown Seattle on Sundays. Pretty easy to find a parking spot anywhere around our store or in Belltown area (other end of 1st Ave by Kuhlman's)...a little more difficult in the retail core around Pacific Place area and almost impossible around Pike Place Market after about 11am.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atsui
Come by and say hello, have a drink...I keep wine and sake around the store at all times for special occasions
smile.gif

And you never mentioned that WHY?
laugh.gif

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Damn, I live in the U-district and I've yet to visit several of these places...lol.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW it may be best to park inside of Pacific Place; you get a centrally located parking lot, covered and patrolled parking lot, and it's pretty cheap, all things considered. Everywhere else charges way more (~7+ for 2h parking on the surface lots) and you'll have to deal with crowds and fight for spots Rates: Weekdays Before 5:00 p.m. 0 to 1 hour $4 1 to 2 hours $6 2 to 3 hours $8 3 to 4 hours $10 Each additional hour after four hours: $3 Weekdays After 5:00 p.m. 4 hours or less $4 Each additional hour after four hours: $2 Weekday Maximum: $25 Weekends and Holidays Before 5:00 p.m. 0 to 1 hour $3 1 to 2 hours $5 2 to 3 hours $7 3 to 4 hours $10 Each additional hour after four hours: $3 Weekends and Holidays After 5:00 p.m. 4 hours or less $4 Each additional hour after four hours: $2

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to hijack the thread for my own nefarious purposes...

Has anyone heard of or been to a store called Yankee Peddler up on the far hoity-toity part of Madison? I guess it's more of a tailored clothing kind of shop?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

Has anyone heard of or been to a store called Yankee Peddler up on the far hoity-toity part of Madison? I guess it's more of a tailored clothing kind of shop?

I know my parents always stop in when I am having lunch with them down there, I thought it was mostly womenswear. I have found a few gems up the street (10 blocks or more) at the high-end men's consignment shop near Cafe Flora and City Garden, I got a pair of C&J boots at that place for a song. You probably already know about them though.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I know my parents always stop in when I am having lunch with them down there, I thought it was mostly womenswear. I have found a few gems up the street (10 blocks or more) at the high-end men's consignment shop near Cafe Flora and City Garden, I got a pair of C&J boots at that place for a song. You probably already know about them though.

interesting. what's this consignment store called? you can PM me the info if you don't want to disclose it, i'm very interested!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
It's no secret. I don't remember the name but it is pretty easy to find. If you are coming from downtown it is on the right, if you are coming from the lake it is on the left and is about a block or two towards downtown from City Garden and Cafe Flora. I would mostly suggest it for higher end Trad wear but they have a good selection of other things as well.

edit: A quick search says Gentleman's Consignment at 2809 E. Madison.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

I remember going there a long time ago.
I've felt no compelling reason to return.
It was kind of tweedy.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's no secret. I don't remember the name but it is pretty easy to find. If you are coming from downtown it is on the right, if you are coming from the lake it is on the left and is about a block or two towards downtown from City Garden and Cafe Flora. I would mostly suggest it for higher end Trad wear but they have a good selection of other things as well.

ahh, thanks! i just remembered that i've been there once before, albeit a long time ago (2 yrs?). i remembered short store hours, and a kind old lady as the shopkeeper. since there was no one else around she followed me around, which was kinda creepy.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Intriguing, probably a decent place to scoop up some footwear?

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
My trip is over and thought I’d pass along a review:

My first stop was to attend a memorial service in Idaho. After that was over I spotted a Cabela’s (a huge outfitters store) while driving on the freeway and thought I’d stop in to pick up some stuff for my dog. The place was crawling with manly-men – hunters with beards and most of them wearing camo or related fashion. Since I was wearing a suit & tie some smart-ass whistled at me as if I was a pretty girl walking by. It was not a great start and was a glaring reminder that I’m in a land where rodeo cowboys get the girl.

Blackbird - When I made it to Seattle my first trip was to Blackbird which is a bit out of the way and was the furthest from downtown I traveled. Parking was a mess so I had to park in a lot a couple blocks away. Blackbird packs a lot of good quality in a relatively small amount of space. There was a good selection of outerwear and the staff was excellent – very laid back and helpful. I was finally able to try on some Wings + Horns stuff and they run real tight – size up at least one with them. I noticed some of Blackbirds products are not posted online, so if you are looking for something in particular you may want to call and have them walk you through their selection. This place is definitely worth checking out and one of my favorites.

Oslo’s – This was a very short drive from downtown and parking was again an issue so plan on walking a few blocks. When I went inside I was greeted by a pleasant older lady who knows her way around men’s fashion and her dog Oslo was laying on the floor playing with his ball. Just about everything was on sale and they seem to cater to a slightly older crowd (30+) as they sell brands like Indigo Palms – think relaxed, casual & classy. This was the opposite of Blackbird, they had lots of sweaters, button up shirts and pants but little outerwear. I liked this place and will be a return customer but next time I’ll bring a treat for Oslo. On the way back to the car I picked up a cup of coffee at El Diablo which is next to a small book store. Kind of a funky place where the barista created a perfect snowman out of my latte foam and the coffee was better than Starbucks. I love coffee and am starting to love Seattle.

Kuhlman’s – This was pretty close to Oslo’s and I stopped by on the way back into town. Mostly outerwear here (especially Spiewak.) They have a pretty small selection overall and the area didn’t have the positive vibe as Blackbird & Oslo’s. Didn’t see anything for me so I was in and out here fast but at least parking was not a problem.

Atsui – This is where Mr. Olive resides along with a lovely Japanese lady and her Caucasian husband. They are both very good people and the sort of independent, mom & pop place where I want my dollars going rather than the big corporate machines and the same can be said for Oslo’s. In my town greedy landlords have taken places like this away so it’s good to see it exists elsewhere. Anyway, this place caters to small frames so nothing really worked me. They do carry Sugar Cane, KMW and other various jeans so it’s still worth a look for bigger folks like me.

Jack Straw – This was close to Atsui but they were closed on Sunday. They looked pretty cleaned out during the sale from what I could tell.

J Gilbert shoes – good Alden selection and the place is run by two cute ladies who are real pro’s. If you want Luchesse boots or Alden call this place because they will take good care of you and know what size is right for you. Don’t bother asking for cigar Indy’s though because it aint gonna happen.

Ian’s downtown – The first floor was all sale racks, mostly outerwear in smaller sizes and the staff told me most of the good stuff was picked over. They had a Maharishi parka medium size on sale for $225 that was originally $850 and some KMW jeans size 36/34 going for cheap (that’s the only one left on sale.) The actual waist size was too big for me so I skipped. The second floor was all G-Star and they just got in their combat boots. I like G-Star but they need to stop stamping their logos everywhere (including the boots) and the selection was smaller sizes so nothing in this store worked for me. If you have a small frame you might find a deal on clearance here and is a store I would return to.

Polite Society – If you’re a young hipster who wants tight fitting stuff this is worth a look. Nothing was good for me so I blew in & out of here faster than any of the other stores.

Mario’s – This place was the biggest of the lot and chock-full of designer goods. RRL, Varvatos, Prada, Boss, Paul Smith shoes etc. I would say 75% is high end clothing but they have some decent street wear as well. No need to ramble, this place is a must see for everyone.

H & M - meh, at least it's next door to Mario's. If you like Gap, American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie you'll be right at home here. I'd never been in one and came out empty handed.

Barney’s – They cram a lot of menswear in here – another must see and very close to Mario’s. Good service and I walked out with a Billy Kirk canvas & leather handbag for 50% off. They have one green & black one left. The one I bought was tan canvas with brown leather.

J Crew – It’s in the same mall as Barney’s – decent men’s selection but not as big as The Grove in Los Angeles. Worth a stop if you’re in or near the mall.

Butch Blum – Didn’t like this place. Lot’s of button up shirts & suits. They do custom tailoring and do have a very small Alden selection. Mainly this place if for “suits” and their staff was borderline annoying. Sooner or later you have to step out of the way and let the customer shop.

Road – this was across from the Sheraton in the City Centre. They manufacture their own brand of casual clothing so you might find something different here. I had to get to the airport so I didn’t have time to look close, but they do carry Filson bags & luggage and they said it goes on sale from time to time. During my quick browse nothing stood out but again I wish I had some more time to see if there were any gems. Their own brand of jeans was around $150 so apparently it's not cheap stuff.

David Lawrence - The product was higher end, the atmosphere kinda foo-foo and the selection wasn't big. Not a place for "streetwear" shoppers.

It took me 8 hours total to visit all of these places, which includes time messing around in chocolate, coffee & gift shops. For the most part though I don’t dilly-dally. I browse fast and only try something on if there’s a very good chance I will buy it. Seattle is cool though, most everything on this list was done of foot and each store close to each other.

The only place I ate was at 7th & Pike at the convention entrance – a little creperie where you order on the street and they wrap it so you can eat on the go. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert - their food is ******* grub and it's fun to watch them make your crepe.

Overnight parking (even at your hotel) is very expensive as is parking lots around the city. The Garmin GPS also got me lost on several occasions so think hard about renting a car. Next time I will go via shuttle & cabs. I stayed at the Seattle Sheraton - great location a block away from the grub mentioned above and I Pricelined it for $75 per night (they quoted me $179 on the phone.) All of these stores are within walking distance downtown except Blackbird, Oslo's and Kuhlman's. If you're at Ian's or J Gilbert then as an option you can walk around a half mile to Kuhlman's.

In conclusion here is the cream of the crop (the stores I will re-visit during my next stay.)

Blackbird
Oslo’s
Mario’s
Atsui (especially good for smaller sizes)
Barney’s
Ian’s
J Gilbert
J Crew

Places I missed that I wanted to see are listed below. I'm aware some are close to stores I visited but I had to pick & choose:

Ian - 36th street
Jack Straw Filaments
Nordstrom Flagship
Betty Lin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads