• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vigilante Justice: Your Thoughts

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the TV series "Dexter" on Showtime? If you haven't I will give you a short description. Dexter is a middle-aged single man who works for the Miami CSI basically, he has access to all sorts of information and files that he uses to research potential "targets". He has this sickness that is basically I need to kill others and he satiates that hunger by murdering bad guys for lack of a better word.

Recently I was told that my girlfriends uncle had a gun put to his head while two intruders raped hi 18 year old daughter and wife. If that wouldn't make you want to kill someone I don't know if anything would. When I heard this story I immediately felt most sad for her uncle, left there helpless to do nothing while the two most important women in his life were violated in the most wrong way possible. If I were him and these two somehow escaped the law I would have no problem hunting them down and murdering them. I would not think was I was doing was wrong at all.

What are your thoughts? Is vigilante justice something that can benefit society? I don't mean that everyone is just killing people. But are there ever instances in which you could kill another human and feel no remorse and also have a sense of accomplishment?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What Would Rorschach Do?

rorschach-pic_538x468.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a line between vigilante justice and self-defense/defense of others around you.

I suspect it will be explored in this thread
devil.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
What are your thoughts? Is vigilante justice something that can benefit society? I don't mean that everyone is just killing people. But are there ever instances in which you could kill another human and feel no remorse and also have a sense of accomplishment?
Yes. Say a millionaire is having his housewife divorce him, he would be in the right to kill her to prevent theft.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Yes. Say a millionaire is having his housewife divorce him, he would be in the right to kill her to prevent theft.

This is the most marsupialed response to a serious question. I'm underwhelmed.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the TV series "Dexter" on Showtime? If you haven't I will give you a short description. Dexter is a middle-aged single man who works for the Miami CSI basically, he has access to all sorts of information and files that he uses to research potential "targets". He has this sickness that is basically I need to kill others and he satiates that hunger by murdering bad guys for lack of a better word.

Recently I was told that my girlfriends uncle had a gun put to his head while two intruders raped hi 18 year old daughter and wife. If that wouldn't make you want to kill someone I don't know if anything would. When I heard this story I immediately felt most sad for her uncle, left there helpless to do nothing while the two most important women in his life were violated in the most wrong way possible. If I were him and these two somehow escaped the law I would have no problem hunting them down and murdering them. I would not think was I was doing was wrong at all.

You could possibly justify to yourself hunting and killing those two men, not that it would un-**** anyone but society would be fully justified in punishing you for doing so as the alternative sets grave precedents.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You could possibly justify to yourself hunting and killing those two men, not that it would un-**** anyone but society would be fully justified in punishing you for doing so as the alternative sets grave precedents.

Well I wouldn't get caught. I guess I forgot to mention that Dexter is a trained professional who works for CSI so he never leaves any evidence or even a body for all that matter. They are just disposed of, literally.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't get caught. I guess I forgot to mention that Dexter is a trained professional who works for CSI so he never leaves any evidence or even a body for all that matter. They are just disposed of, literally.

Ok so you watch a tv series and you enjoy it as some sort of symbolic arena for your phallic aggression, nothing special here we all love Commando. What's your point exactly?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so you watch a tv series and you enjoy it as some sort of symbolic arena for your phallic aggression, nothing special here we all love Commando. What's your point exactly?

Is there ever a situation where you would kill someone knowing you wouldn't get caught and feel no remorse?

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Obviously a real life Dexter would kick some serious ass, but the only issue I have with this concept being applied to real life is that people have a differing idea of good and bad. If one were able to make every and all decisions without letting emotions enter the equation I'd certainly be for it, but I imagine that such a person doesn't exist.

I think this entire debate would hinge on what is perceived to be as just cause. For example, would drug dealers be exempt from this justice like they are in Dexters code?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Is there ever a situation where you would kill someone knowing you wouldn't get caught and feel no remorse?

How can I be sure of what is hiding inside the heart of Men, even my own? Possibly. Just saying it outright unless you've experienced it is pure macho posturing as you might be pretty sure you'd do it and feel justified but who says you won't feel remorse anyway.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Obviously a real life Dexter would kick some serious ass, but the only issue I have with this concept being applied to real life is that people have a differing idea of good and bad. If one were able to make every and all decisions without letting emotions enter the equation I'd certainly be for it, but I imagine that such a person doesn't exist.

I think this entire debate would hinge on what is perceived to be as just cause. For example, would drug dealers be exempt from this justice like they are in Dexters code?

Good point. I would say that if they harm people AGAINST their will that is a pretty good reason. Drug users for the most part want the drugs.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can I be sure of what is hiding inside the heart of Men, even my own? Possibly. Just saying it outright unless you've experienced it is pure macho posturing as you might be pretty sure you'd do it and feel justified but who says you won't feel remorse anyway.

Yeah I know I wouldn't feel remorse. But then again I have no heart, just Red Bull.

RedScarf7

Reaction score

Yes. For this to happen they would have had to do something terrible to a loved one, but in my mind that isn't vigilante justice. Vigilante justice would be killing in the name of others. I don't think there is anything inherently selfish about vigilante justice, but killing to even the score certainly is.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Yeah I know I wouldn't feel remorse. But then again I have no heart, just Red Bull.

You'd probably break down crying and not be able to do it, no matter what the offense it, don't front you're a western world person who has never been subjected to real hardships who's fantasizing to a gripping television show allowing you to safely experience and process your violent urges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads