• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really Cheap Ties - 4 for $1?

Marmot

Reaction score
So I just posted this over on AskAndy, but I thought I would see what you guys thought. I randomly found this website that sells 4 ties for $1. I mean, I know they aren't that great, but they might be good utility ties or something. I dunno, I just thought I would share this. Has anyone tried these before? I'm think I might get them just to see how they are.

Really Cheap Ties

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like wholesale or something! I wonder if this is where street venders get their $5 ties from
confused.gif

Do you not care about quality at all?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
try it. let us know how it works

+1 If they are crap you can still wear them as a belt, a la Fred Astaire...

Marmot

Reaction score
Believe me I do care about quality. I also care about VALUE, too. Plus it is only $1, I have found some great things that turned out to be inexpensive. I'm going to order them here in a sec, just to see. They might be good quality for $1.

If nothing else, they can always be my loaner ties. For some reason, a lot of my friend don't own a single tie and always end up asking me for a tie. I could loan these out and not worry that they are going to trash my $150 Talbotts.

I'm going to go ahead and get them and see how they are. Who's with me?

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be careful to cancel after you order your first order, or you'll get stuck getting billed $20-40 a month from them (I just glanced at the terms)

The company seems to be ok; ripoffreport gave them a favorable report.

Marmot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cksnipe
Be careful to cancel after you order your first order, or you'll get stuck getting billed $20-40 a month from them (I just glanced at the terms)

The company seems to be ok; ripoffreport gave them a favorable report.

Thanks, I didn't see that. Yeah. It was like 14 for shipping so it ended up being like 16 after everything.

Marmot

Reaction score
So yeah, I don't know what it was, but I got my 4 ties today. They are much better than expected. I was expecting some weird polyester thing from the 70s, but no they're actually silk. Even after a couple bucks for shipping, they turned out to be a really good deal. I'm glad I got them. One of them may make it into my regular rotataion, doesn't look nearly as cheap as it was.

Great Deal.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I acutally did expect they would be real silk, just not high quality silk. I am glad you are happy with them but I am curious to know how long they last.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures?

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
Alright, so I am a sucker for this kind of thing. So here is my mini review.

The deal was 4 ties for a $1 plus shipping $14.95 = $15.95 total.

I picked out 4 ties on the website on a Friday, and the following Saturday they were delivered by USPS.

Here's what I was sent.

DSC_5671.JPG

Of the 4 ties I ordered, I only received 1 of them.
I called Customer Service on Monday and was told that because the ties were "so popular" they had difficulty keeping them all in stock, so I was sent substitutes.

1 of the substitute ties they sent me was called "Moon Rise". As you can see in the photo, the tie was built upside down so instead of the pattern looking like little moons rising, it looks like cereal bowls. I mentioned this to the service rep and they offered to send me a new tie. She also mentioned that they had had a similar problem with a pattern involving hearts being upside down.

Customer Service itself, was fine. She was polite and cancelled my club memberships (you are automatically enrolled when you do the trial) without any attempts to keep me from cancelling.

Quality of the ties is better than the cheap stuff (RBM, Stafford, etc) but not nearly as nice as any of the real quality stuff. They are noticeably thicker and heavier than the cheap ties and seem to tie a better looking knot, though the result is quite bulky. They are all labeled 100% Silk, Hand Made, Made in China.

I may wear the gray stripe or yellow stripe sometime. I certainly won't wear the others.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
The two on the left, maybe. The right side, never

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads